Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Community Art Challenge - April 2015 - Chest Of Wonders

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

Another update!:
    Added the goblet (unwrapped). Will add a copy of this on its side buried in the gold pile in the bottom chest. Two final objects to add (key ring with keys, and some sort of crown) and then its uv packing and id map building time! Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Cheers~

2. digital512

digital512

The start of my submission.

3. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

@digital512 Looking good! What did you use for the texturing? Quixel?, Substance?, MS Paint? ;)
    Cheers~

4. digital512

digital512

Thanks! I'm using substance painter. Using this challenge as an opportunity to learn some new software.

5. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

Looks great! I will be using SD and SP too. currently researching how to do multi UV channels with it.

6. caldepen

caldepen

I only noticed because it is something I would do and then stare at it not realizing what it was that was bugging me...

7. digital512

digital512

Let me know if you figure out how to do Multi UV's. I haven't searched for any tutorials on it yet, but it is something I know I'd need eventually.

8. IFL

IFL

@Mentallic3D @digital512 - I would also like to know how to use multiple UVs in SD & SP if it's supported, but the best I've come up with is using multiple ID maps. Your models are looking great btw. I'd bake from a higher-res, but that can be really time consuming.

Thanks! Fixed it, I think. (there goes trying to hide the low quality of my textures with post processing)
    Apr2015WIP_04.jpg

Thanks. Can we have multiple entries? If so, here's the start of the character for my sci-fi one:
    Apr2015_i2_WIP_01.jpg
    I hate rigging low-poly chars, but it's usually unavoidable.

Great job with the hand-painted textures. Are you going to bake AO or go for a more cartoony look?

xenius likes this.
  9. redthrawn

redthrawn

My brain immedietely jumped to the ark, so that's where I started. Here is a shot of it before I send to zbrush to play with details and texturing. I'll probably post another one before I break it down.

10. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@IFL Yes you can enter multiple times. Nothing wrong with that :)

@redthrawn Nice idea as well there! Keep us updated!

xenius and IFL like this.
  11. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

Hi! i'm joining to this challenge. this is the first sketch of my idea. Some kind on ancient stone chest, It contains the soul of a mighty King who ruled the land thousands of years ago. 01.jpg

IFL, Mentallic3D, NomadKing and 2 others like this.
  12. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

Hey there guys! a few more updates on the chest, I need to focus more time on this piece....Do you guys have any cool ideas for the Diorama? I couldn't come up with anything yet, so, any help would be appreciated!

@Daniel Robnik where are you? I want updates! hahahaha
    @Serinx Loved your idea man! Send us some more updates! =D
    @xenius Haha thanks for the Bump mate. I have worked a little bit more on the chest, I have been so freaking busy last week with freelance jobs and RL stuff =[, but I'll do my best to finish this model. I'm using the new Zmodeler from Zbrush 4.7 so this cilinder is from the new initizalize system, pretty cool tool!
    @digital512 amazing use of PBR! I'll also try something with this new feature =]

@EMMANEMSAURIO REX Wohow, I can see a lot of Mayan sculpture reliefs on this piece! keep at it =] ref1 - ref2 - ref3 - ref4 - ref5

Updates

13. Serinx

Serinx

For a simple Diorama you could put it on top of a giant bottlecap :)

14. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

beautiful wood texture here.

Rafmorais likes this.
  15. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

So I've spent a few hours with retopology, uvw tests, baking testes, texture tests... geesh it takes so long to test ahahaha
    but now I have everything set up and I will be focusing on textures for the next update. I'm still not sure about the diorama scene.....

Come on peeps, show me some updates! =]

Revan31, BitMatrix, IFL and 5 others like this.
  16. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@Rafmorais Looks like you're moving along at a nice pace there! Looking great right there. That's going to be a nice piece for your portfolio in the end :)

Where is everybody else with their entries? Let's see it!!!

Rafmorais likes this.
  17. caldepen

caldepen

@Rafmorais - what happened to the dwarf-head crest on the side? I hope you are going to re-introduce. I liked that feature. Added a little backstory to imagine!

Rafmorais likes this.
  18. Serinx

Serinx

@Rafmorais that looks amazing, how are you getting such a detailed look on the wood? Is this textured and normal mapped?

Rafmorais likes this.
  19. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

for sure man, I had to stop working on this piece to finish some freelance work, but it will be there in the next update. Thanks for the attention =]

@Serinx Hey man, yeah its a regular normal map, baked from the Zbrush sculpture, I will try something with substance painter tonight!

xenius likes this.
  20. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

Update! Ok, I’m now done adding things I promise! I am still under budget (around 6,500) but I don’t want to add things just because I can. I may smooth some lines as I unwrap everything but this is the final layout / design. New items are keyring with keys, front lock, goblet, and rock. What do you think? Cheers!~

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="
    " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel=""></iframe>

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-weight: normal; margin: 5px; color: #4A4A4A;">
    <a href="
    " target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">UCAC8 - Chest of Wonders - WIP</a>
    by <a href="https://sketchfab.com/mentallic3d?u...utm_campaign=7978a644e5bb437a801dec872b723ee2" target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">mentallic3d</a>
    on <a href="https://sketchfab.com?utm_source=oe...utm_campaign=7978a644e5bb437a801dec872b723ee2" target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Sketchfab</a>
    </p>

IFL, xenius and NomadKing like this.
  21. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

avance.png Hi folks, here is an update of my model.

Revan31, IFL, NomadKing and 1 other person like this.
  22. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Hey all,

Well, I've decided to take the plunge and start working on art for my future game. It's my first art ever, but hey... if I don't try I'll never make it, right?

So, here's my very, very rough concept sketch. 3d on paper is not my strong suit, so I hope my explanation will help with "painting the picture", sorta speak :)

Players can have a trade skill in my future game. One of the trade skills they can choose, is Herbalism. The herbalist will have a variety of things to store her stuff in. One of these things is her small traveling medicine chest in the "Wonders of Nature" series.

I was inspired by @VertexFiend's work in the March challenge. The Herbalist can work wonders with her medicines made from herbs and other things. And thus her Medicine chest becomes a Chest of Wonders :)

The chest consists of three parts:
    - Main body
    - Left side
    - Right side

The Left side and the Right side can be opened and closed. The close towards the main body. Kinda like you can see in this picture which I used (amongst others) as inspiration and reference:

Like in the picture above the main body has a top part and two drawers.
    The left and right side each hold 3 slim jars, while the main body holds two wider jars in the top compartment. Underneath the top compartment, the chest will have, like in the above picture, two drawers: top one with the scales, bottom one with a Mortar & Pestle and with a small knife.

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to include all the props (jars, knife, etc) for this challenge. It kinda depends on how many vertices it will give.

The outside of the chest is adorned with wood carvings. The chest itself is "made" from Rowan wood (that has a particular meaning in my game :) ). The top of the chest will have a Rowan Flower that hides the lock to open the chest.

I was thinking on making the chest itself in either Blender or Maya and the carvings in Sculptris or ZBrush.

Unfortunately I haven't found Rowan Wood materials/textures anywhere, but I did find Ash Wood materials/textures, which is close, so I'll be using that instead.

Looking forward to your feedback!

23. Pixel Indie

Pixel Indie

24. IFL

IFL

@Storm_The_Gates - Do you have any updates to show since your block-out?
    @Rafmorais - I like your style. Are you planning on adding some routed edges to the base like in that reference pic?
    @Pixel Indie - I think you've definitely succeeded in making a chest of wonders - after seeing it, I'm left wondering what's inside. Not sure why, but it makes me think of Schrodinger.

Update on my cardboard box idea...
    Apr2015_i2_WIP_02.jpg
    I feel like the scale is a bit off and disconnecting the two scenes a bit too much. I might trash it in favor of a similar comparison with the kid inside a big box/spaceship.

25. Pixel Indie

Pixel Indie

@IFL I would tell for you what have inside the box, but this will ruin the surprise.
    OBS: Thanks for the feedback ;)

26. BitMatrix

BitMatrix

Hi everyone! Wow, there are really very interesting entries so far. Looking forward to see the final version of each one of them :)

The chest I'm trying to create is some kind of device, locked by some electronic circuits. Currently I'm trying to hack into the device and open it, I wonder what's inside ;)

Here is a WIP of my entry. Still have to do alot of work like unwrapping and the materials. Needed a lot of vertices to get the parts of the upper shell nice and smooth.

27. zombie_rockstar

zombie_rockstar

28. Pixel Indie

Pixel Indie

Updates:
    Air compressor removed (right side)
    Lock finished
    Improved mesh (some parts)

29. essimoon2

essimoon2

Hi all!
    great entries everyone! I'm really amazed at your interpretations of this topic, so much diversity! :)
    Here's mine:

chest_of_wonders_wip.PNG

I went with a stylized look for the chest, the textures will get a hand painted look (hope so at least, depends on my skills with that xD). Gonna open it later to show the contents inside which is actually the more interesting thing :)
    Looking forward to see everyone finish and good luck to all of you!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  30. Pixel Indie

Pixel Indie

31. essimoon2

essimoon2

Yeah it's still the high poly sculpt. Gonna post a re-topologized version soon. :)

32. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Blocking for a scifi (of course :D) chest. Not sure where I'm headed with this yet . . . stay tuned.

33. Storm_The_Gates

Storm_The_Gates

I've been really struggling to find enough free time to put into this, been very busy with contract 3D work and my historical reenactment society. I've done some more work on the high poly mesh for the pod but don't have a great deal more to show. Will hopefully have more of an update by the end of the week.

IFL and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  34. Revan31

Revan31

Hi guys! this is an update from my diorama :D

upload_2015-4-20_21-53-29.png

35. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

Great stuff from all of you guys. I've been working on the high poly version of my piece, here is an update,

Attached Files:

IFL, Thomas-Pasieka and Pixel Indie like this.
  36. zombie_rockstar

zombie_rockstar

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX likes this.
  37. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

More Progress - High poly and bake done for the box - temp material.

38. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

Great work guys! Keep it up! I am finished with the modeling and unwrapping. Going to get it all packed today and tomorrow and start painting very soon. If anyone is interested I will be livestreaming the painting process with includes Substance Designer and Painter on Friday. Most likely 8am-2pm with an hour break in the middle for lunch. Come stop by and lets all work on getting our entries polished up for the judges! Hope to see you there.
    Link (if interested): www.twitch.tv/thepolygonpilgrimage

Cheers!

IFL likes this.
  39. BurnTheHorses

BurnTheHorses

Here's a WIP of my entry. Not exactly a chest of wonders, but when it's closed you gotta wonder what's in there. :D

Mimic1.png

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  40. xenius

xenius

@BurnTheHorses That is delightfully gross. Is that a Mimic from D&D?

41. BurnTheHorses

BurnTheHorses

It sure is. I took a lot of inspiration from Dark Souls as well.

Here's the Sketchfab.

Storm_The_Gates, Pixel Indie and IFL like this.
  42. goat

goat

I like the style, it looks original to me, although I'm not one to troll the internet forums and app stores for what's considered current.

The problem is with your presentation, it's doesn't follow the guidelines in the rules. You'll need one of those characters on each side of the toy chest pushing the trunk such that it spins as if it's on a turntable or merry-go-round I suppose to meet the rule guidelines.

43. BurnTheHorses

BurnTheHorses

Hm. I think your interpretation of the rules is a little off. His entry meets the guidelines fine, as does mine and (pretty sure, didn't really check) everyone else's entries in this thread, lol.

Also @IFL your entry is probably going to give me nightmares.

44. IFL

IFL

:oops: ...I really hope not. I only have a bit more to do on that project. Thanks for the feedback and opinion though.
    @Thomas Pasieka - Do you mind clarifying that rule? The last contest was won by a non-diorama entry.

How do you know that the evil pillow isn't spawning the teddy-bear from the crate? :) Also, did you see your entry?

45. Yensoo

Yensoo

So I just found out about this contest 3 hours ago... Hopefully I'll have time to finish my entry. Here's my sculpt of the character that will be opening the chest so far. (Hopefully I'm not sabotaging myself by working on the character first lol XD)

46. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

IFL likes this.
  47. Pixel Indie

Pixel Indie

The texture is coming!!!
    I fix the lock, the first system is very nonsense XD.
    (This texture isn't the final version)
    Untitled.png

IFL and zombie_rockstar like this.
  48. IFL

IFL

Thanks for clarifying. Looking at the winners in the previous challenges, and considering that a diorama rule was in place for them, I have to ask - is the enforcement of that rule ridiculously lenient?

Assuming that there's nothing major that needs to be changed, here's my final.

49. xenius

xenius

@IFL You might wanna rotate beneath your diorama. Looks like the texture bake came out flipped for the floor :)

IFL likes this.
  50. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@IFL - The rule is there, I am not enforcing it 100%. It's simple, the better you follow the rule the better your chances are of winning. That easy.

IFL likes this.