Search Unity

Unity Community Art Challenge - April 2015 - Chest Of Wonders

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Unity Technologies is happy to announce it's next "Unity Community Forum Challenge"! Everybody is welcome to join in and show other fellow artist what they can do and compete for the First Place!

This months Challenge is themed "Chest Of Wonders". This could literally be a Wooden Chest filled with wondrous items. Maybe it's a Chest that leads to another dimension? Perhaps it's a Pirate's Chest filled with Gold? There is a lot of room for interpretation here! Use your imagination! Impress us with your creativity and imagination. Let's see something new and fresh!

As a result we want to see a beautiful small Diorama/Turntable of your version of a "Chest Of Wonders"

Post Work in Progress Screenshots or even use Sketchfab to present your work in progress. See rules below.

1. Participants will have till the end of the month (April, 30th) to submit their Final Entry

2. Final Entry must be a "Diorama/Turntable" showcasing the theme "Chest Of Wonders". We ask that you use Sketchfab to post your final result here on the forum.

3. Polycount Limitation for this Challenge is 7.500 Vertices. Only ever use as many polygons as necessary to define a shape! This is a game art challenge after all! Make use of normal maps etc to give your textures/meshes more detail.

4. You can use normal maps, specular maps etc to enhance your work visually. Perhaps try to combine textures onto one texture sheet if possible for efficiency, however it's not a requirement. There is no restriction on how many textures you can use but keep in mind that this is a game art challenge so don't go too crazy.

5. Entrants must post at least 1 WIP (Work in Progress) Screenshot before submitting their Final Entry. We suggest you post more and get feedback! Please visit https://help.sketchfab.com/hc/en-us/sections/200485707-Uploading-3D-Models for further information on how to use and upload to Sketchfab.

6. Your final entries must be submitted through Sketchfab. Please tag your final submission with: "UCAC8".

7. No previous work can be used. This essentially means that you should create everything from scratch!

8. No nudity or gross violence please! Keep it clean and fun for everyone!

This month, Rust LTD. and the fine folks from Sketchfab are sponsoring our contest! The winners will receive the following:

1st Place : Alloy PBS Shader Framework, Alloy Detail Texture Pack, Modular Sword Asset Kit, Alloy FX Mask Texture Mega Pack ($185 Value) Voucher and 1 Year of Sketchfab Pro and Cardboard VR

2nd Place: 1 Alloy PBS Shader Framework Voucher & 1 Year of Sketchfab Pro

3rd Place: 1 Alloy Detail Texture Pack & Modular Sword Asset Kit Voucher and 6 Months of Sketchfab Pro

Additionally the 1st Place will receive the UCAC Award (3D Printed)! This Trophy/Award is Sponsored by Sketchfab and will feature your name (1st Place).

We hope to see many of you participate! Let's get this started!

Thomas Pasieka

xenius likes this.
  2. LAGamesPortfolio

LAGamesPortfolio

I will be sure to enter into this UCAC!! It's been some time since I've taken part in the UCACs due to University Work/Job Applications but I'm hoping I can find some time to take part now that the work load is slowing decreasing... and that trophy would be great to get a hold of!!

Good luck to everyone taking part =)

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  3. dreamhead

dreamhead

count me in cant wait te start on this one :D

xenius and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  4. Avenger84

Avenger84

Hopefully will have time to enter this one

5. NomadKing

NomadKing

I think I can find time to do something for this one. Have to see if I can come up with a good concept at the weekend :)

6. xenius

xenius

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with :)

NomadKing and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

And my axe!

Er, I mean yeah I think I'll enter this month's one too.

Stv3D, ChrisSch, NomadKing and 4 others like this.
  8. Devin-Edgerton

Devin-Edgerton

Can't wait to start this one!

9. xenius

xenius

Ho Man... we got a Commander Mustache in the comp. S*** be gettin' real.

Deleted User and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  10. reinfeldx

reinfeldx

Ain't no party like an artsy mustache party. I'm in!

11. Spoken_OS

Spoken_OS

Best prizes yet.

xenius likes this.
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User

I like how these competition threads always start like the opening scene of 13th Warrior (skip to 1:10)...

I'm in! Me too! And I!

Quest for polygons!

ChrisSch, NomadKing and xenius like this.
  13. IFL

IFL

The vertex limit for these art challenges is kind of absurd. I didn't participate in the last one because 5 vertices for a shield is nuts. This one is a bit more reasonable, but still... 7.5 vertices? Really? That said, I've been able to stay under it by exactly half of a vertex so far.

It's too late for April fools, so just file this under pointless joking. ;)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

You've still got an extra half vertex to use there.

IFL likes this.
  15. xenius

xenius

*Puts on pedant hat* Teeechnically speaking @IFL That isn't 7 vertexes. When you have a hard normal edge like that, ON THE GPU, you actually have one vertex per side, as unique vertex normals are needed. By my count your object has at least 15 vertexes in it ACTUALLY.

DISQUALIFIED!!!1!

:)

16. IFL

IFL

I thought vertex splitting was done before being sent to the GPU, but I'm kind of rusty when it comes to the low-level data stream. At any rate, I used a normal map, so I don't think there should be any splitting. I'm not the shader expert though.

[EDIT::] Removed inappropriate reference.

17. xenius

xenius

@IFL *claps*

DOUBLE DISQUALIFIED!!!1!

jk.
    But seriously, you gonna make something else for the compo? :)

18. IFL

IFL

@xenius Of course. I'll get out a design for a chest in a week or so.

[EDIT::] Removed inappropriate pun.

19. xenius

xenius

@IFL While your punning skills are appreciated, just remember, no boob/boob-joke stuff. Dead serious. Give the theme a serious shot.

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

xenius likes this.
  21. IFL

IFL

xenius likes this.
  22. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

I'm in! Do we post our WIPs here in stream or begin a new thread somewhere? Thanks very much! Looking forward to seeing all the great ideas!

Cheers~

xenius likes this.
  23. xenius

xenius

@Mentallic3D Post em here! Its best to have everyone's WIP right in one place. :)

24. danielrobnik

danielrobnik

Hello! I'm going to join in and give this a go!

Lately I've been making rocks. Many rocks. So the obvious thing to do is a rock chest!

I'll post this quick concept to force myself to work on it. :)

25. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Post all your WIP's, questions and whatever else right in this thread :)

26. dreamhead

dreamhead

here is my wip,i will start to start adding more things to it and then throw it in mudbox :)

Attached Files:

NomadKing, IFL, Mentallic3D and 2 others like this.
  27. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Have not started working on it yet but I am thinking of like a child's toy chest. A wonderful thing at that time of life. Will see if I can get working on it soon.

28. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Nice start there! Keep it coming :)

dreamhead likes this.
  29. Spoken_OS

Spoken_OS

I had the same idea lol

xenius and Baldinoboy like this.
  30. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

Here is my first WIP for you all. For my entry the goal is to create the same pirate treasure chest at two different points in time: during the height of treasure hoarding, and after the ship has sunk!

(Attempting to embed the Sketchfab model here)

31. LAGamesPortfolio

LAGamesPortfolio

Here is an image of my thoughts and processes of what I'm going to be creating for this contest. I've decided to create a chest of video game wonders; more specifically a chest which will be representing each generation of video games from the 1st to the current generation of video gaming. Apologizes for the image being sideways, this was taken on my iPhone.

IMG_0310.JPG This idea was inspired by the fact that there is now a National Video Game Arcade in my home town of Nottingham (which I'm visiting in a few days after the Easter holidays) and I feel this chest will represent what they're currently doing to showcase video games and their history to the people of Nottingham (and anyone else who visits of course)

I have another idea which I may decide to also enter into this contest (that is of course if it doesn't get done in the time between now and when I wish to pursue it) but it would be great to get your feedback on this idea. I'm going to be posting a WIP screenshot(s) later as I think my 3D Art will be able to bring my idea across better than words and a rubbish 2D sketch.

32. xenius

xenius

@Daniel Robnik Slightly more egg-like than rock-like at the moment, but i'm curious where you're going. What kind of rock are you thinking of making it out of? I've been working on a project lately (Rollgue), where I'm making all of my dice out of various real-world minerals (andesite, feldspar, malachite, etc.). There's some suuuper cool patterns that one sees, especially with polished/tumbled stones: Example I don't know if you've ever tried it, but baking volumetric noise (either a 3d texture in Maya, or Cinema4d's 4d noises can give you some awesome masks to work with that are seam-agnostic, and really feel like they go throoough a object (vs. being on it).

@dreamhead Lookin good so far. You going to be going more pirate-chest, or more medieval-dungeon-chest for it you think?

@Mentallic3D Neat compositional idea! Are you going to make the bottom part more blue-cast, like it's underwater? Trying out your @Sketchfab embed really makes me wish their was a bit more control over the camera in the player, so you could flip it 180 degrees back and forth. Will have to ask them if that'd be hard to add as a button.

@LAGamesPortfolio Really cool concept! My only concern is that with all those objects you have on your sideways list, you have a lot of represent in not that many polys (remember the 7.5k vertex limit). Also sounds like a lot of modelling. Do you plan to model them all and do a bake-down of some kind, or just do them all in a low-poly style? Either way, sounds like a really cool piece, and is totally something you should give to the NVGA in your hometown when ya finish it :).

Awesome stuff so far guys! Can't wait to see it all develop.

33. dreamhead

dreamhead

I want to go for an more dungeon fantasy look type chest

xenius likes this.
  34. IFL

IFL

I wanted to make a pillow-chest, but I had never tried to do pillows before. Finding the right workflow took a bit of work, but I think I did it... this was my first success, a baked (base, Nrm, AO) 150-vert box-pillow:
    Apr2015WIP_Pillow_150verts.jpg

And this is my current WIP (a bit goofy, untextured, no retopo):
    Apr2015WIP_01.jpg

Thoughts/criticism are very welcome.

35. LAGamesPortfolio

LAGamesPortfolio

@xenius Thank you for your kind comments!! I'm probably going to modelling them all in a low poly style but I'd like to think that 3D modelling is my forte but a lot of the finer details will be achieved through the textures and normals that I will be applying to each model.

Of course if I run into any issues, then I can cut down the asset list a bit and maybe find alternative ways to achieve the rest that I want.

xenius likes this.
  36. LAGamesPortfolio

LAGamesPortfolio

@IFL I'm liking the idea, seems really unique for this competition and I can't wait to see the final result!

IFL and xenius like this.
  37. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've got a lot of fragmented ideas at the moment, trying to nail down a really solid concept

38. Serinx

Serinx

This kind of looks like an easter egg! Very fitting :p

What do you guys think of me doing Pamela Anderson's chest?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  39. Deleted User

Deleted User

NomadKing likes this.
  40. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Don't even :) I wouldn't waste time.

41. reinfeldx

reinfeldx

So putting in a submission that's outside the box (pun!) would be frowned upon? I had a couple different ideas that played with the human "chest" angle, but are not off-color in terms of sexual content.

Thoughts?

Edit: I'll probably just go ahead with one of them and let the chips fall where they may. ;)

42. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

@Mentallic3D Neat compositional idea! Are you going to make the bottom part more blue-cast, like it's underwater? Trying out your @Sketchfab embed really makes me wish their was a bit more control over the camera in the player, so you could flip it 180 degrees back and forth. Will have to ask them if that'd be hard to add as a button.

@ xenius: Yes I will be applying a texture overlay to the whole "underside" to make it appear like it is on the bottom of the ocean. :) I agree with you that it would be much better if we could rotate full 360 degrees on the Sketchfab as in particular that would make this model better. I still plan on continuing with the design regardless. Thanks very much for your inputs!

Back to work for me! :)

Cheers~

IFL and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  43. IFL

IFL

Is a small scene a valid entry?

Apr2015WIP_02.jpg

Honest criticism would be much appreciated.

[EDIT::] And another WIP. Looking forward to getting this textured and finished...
    Apr2015WIP_03.jpg

[EDIT2::] And a sketchfab WIP. I have some inner-polygonal penetration, and I didn't include the floor, but it shows enough to have criticism, I think. Should I add a bedroom setting? I've got quite a few polygons left to use...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  44. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Sure it is! Put it on a little Diorama platform and you're all set :) Looking good so far! Actually really like the idea.

IFL likes this.
  45. dreamhead

dreamhead

got it in mudbox man do i love sculpting :D, gonig for a old stone chest and if you have soms constructive feedback would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

46. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

That's a good start there I'd say. Could use some more definition/refinement :)

dreamhead likes this.
  47. JordanRL

JordanRL

Hi I just noticed this competition and have never entered one for 3D Modelling before. I will try my best despite little experience using specular maps and other maps.

I have quickly made a sketch of my design :D (Please excuse my bad digital painting skills, currently using a mouse can't find my wacom tablet pen :/)

Back story: The chest looks cute, harmless and innocent. However, one day a child came across it and opened it up which made a different universe come into contact with earth. How the chest got their, no clue, maybe some witch created it, maybe it was hidden from everyone but one person who has the right key.

Any ways going to make the 3D model tomorrow and I'll be posting various updates a long the way :D

xenius likes this.
  48. danielrobnik

danielrobnik

Well, mine turned out looking like a potato. I really should have done a bit more prior design work...

As they say; back to the drawing board!

49. dreamhead

dreamhead

here is other littel update

Attached Files:

mjr711, Baldinoboy and NomadKing like this.
  50. dreamhead

dreamhead

i am done whit the main model scluping and i need soms feeback :)

Attached Files:

IFL and mjr711 like this.