Search Unity

Unity.Collab is absolutely terrible on every imaginable way

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Guedez, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Guedez

Guedez

I've been wondering why the hell sometimes my editor would get super slow out of nowhere right after leaving play mode for upwards of 20 seconds.
    This time I got the culprit.
    Just what the hell is collab doing that it requires 600ms per frame for 10-20 seconds when I don't want anything from it?

Please, let me tick a checkbox right next to collab that lets me completely disable it right until I want to Update/Commit. It is always doing something that bothers me. When I open unity it have to spend 10-30 seconds checking for changes, regardless if I want to update/commit or not
    Right now I found out that it also likes to make the Editor hang for 10-20 seconds after leaving play mode randomly (does not always do it).

If I am not committing/updating, it should not be doing anything at all, ever. Please fix this
    Profiler screenshot: https://imgur.com/AfxcHKY

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It's a combination of Collaborate being a terrible product from inception, I'm guessing the current team is different than the initial team and simply don't want to bother with the initial codebase, plus Unity's complete disregard for Editor experience (somehow it's their priority for the last 3 years, but during these last 3 years, editor experience has been in freefall).

If you are not fine with Unity going "YOU WANTED TO DO SOME WORK? HAH! JUST WAIT FOR A BIT", you'd better switch engines or write your own.

Otherwise, keep using Unity until Stockholm syndrome kicks in and you start to rationalize how a bad editor experience is a good thing, somehow or it makes sense, somehow.

3. GDBMain

GDBMain

Same problem