Search Unity

Unity Cloud Build Xcode 10 release and build infrastructure changes

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by PhilMcJ, Oct 10, 2018.

1. PhilMcJ

PhilMcJ

Unity Technologies

Unity Cloud Build will soon be enabling support for Apple Xcode 10 (including support for iOS 12 and macOS 10.14). Adding this support requires some changes to the build environments, and this may cause problems with some older Unity versions in rare cases. These underlying changes will start being deployed on October 18th, 2018.

Support will be prioritized for these more recent Unity versions, which should not have any compatibility issues:
    - 5.5.5p2 and later
    - 5.6.4p3 and later
    - 2017.1.2p3 and later
    - 2017.2.0p3 and later
    - 2017.3.0 and later
    - 2018 or later

If your project relies on an older Unity version, it should - in nearly all cases tested - continue to build normally without any changes, or at most with a new clean build. However, some (rare) compatibility issues may arise for which the best solution will be to upgrade to a newer Unity version if at all possible. The Cloud Build development and support teams can be reached via support tickets for assistance in these cases.

iOS CloudKit:

For those of you using CloudKit when building for iOS, you may notice some build issues initially when upgrading to Xcode 10 in Unity Cloud Build (when it becomes available). This typically will show up as an error during the Xcode signing process with an error like "Provisioning profile ... doesn't match the entitlements file's value for the com.apple.developer.ubiquity-kvstore-identifier entitlement".

Xcode 10 introduced a new internal build system in Xcode, and this new Apple build system appears to have an issue with expanding "$(TeamIdentifierPrefix)" in entitlements files. This will cause signing to fail as pointed out above. To fix the issue, you will need to force the build process to fall back to use the old Xcode build system, by configuring some extra Fastlane options in the project. A more in-depth explanation about Fastlane in UCB can be found here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/xcode-9-multiple-provisioning-profiles.545121/

The short version requires adding two files to your repository:
    * Assets/ucb_xcode_fastlane.json (name and location are important)
    * Assets/ucb/Gymfile (needs to match path configured in ucb_xcode_fastlane.json)

Example "Assets/ucb_xcode_fastlane.json":

{
    "gymfile": "Assets/ucb/Gymfile"
    }

Example "Assets/ucb/Gymfile":

xcargs '-UseModernBuildSystem=NO'

As pointed out in the forum post referenced above, the Cloud Build team is working to simplify this process and make more of the Fastlane process customizable. If there are specific questions or suggestions for things you want to see here please let us know!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    thorikawa likes this.
  2. PhilMcJ

PhilMcJ

Unity Technologies

Reminder: the infrastructure changes in advance of adding Xcode 10 support are set to happen tomorrow (October 18th, during the US daytime/European evening). The great majority of projects and builds should be unaffected based on testing, and the great majority of any issues that are encountered after the changes should be resolved by running a one-time clean build.

Once that dust settles, there'll be an update on Xcode 10 itself.... more to come.

3. AlterRatione

AlterRatione

Is there an ETA to when it will become available to being chosen on Cloud Build Config settings?

4. PhilMcJ

PhilMcJ

Unity Technologies

There should be an announcement on that very soon - a few brand-new bug reports are being looked at right now to be sure that they're not symptoms of surprise compatibility issues (or to determine if any changes might be needed). Once that's sorted, there'll be an update posted here in the forum.

5. Speedrun-Labs

Speedrun-Labs

@PhilMcJ Is there any update on the xcode 10 support on UCB?

6. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

I am happy to inform you that the long awaited release of Xcode 10 on Cloud Build will be happening this Wednesday, 7th November.

Any customer that has been in contact with Support who has been temporarily reverted to the legacy build agents will see Xcode 10 as an option but will unfortunately be limited to Xcode 9.4.1, until their issue with Support has been resolved.

Dedicated Build Agent Customers will also see the option for Xcode 10 and be limited to Xcode 9.4.1. We will be reaching out to these customers individually to co-ordinate the upgrade with them within the next week.

StefanoCecere likes this.
  7. Mint-Mobile

Mint-Mobile

Set all config as you said

The short version requires adding two files to your repository:
    * Assets/ucb_xcode_fastlane.json (name and location are important)
    * Assets/ucb/Gymfile (needs to match path configured in ucb_xcode_fastlane.json)

Example "Assets/ucb_xcode_fastlane.json":

{
    "gymfile": "Assets/ucb/Gymfile",
    }

Example "Assets/ucb/Gymfile":

xcargs '-UseModernBuildSystem=NO'

Code (CSharp):
    1. /BUILD_PATH/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.1/gems/json-2.1.0/lib/json/common.rb:156:in `parse': [!] 765: unexpected token at '{"gymfile":"Assets/ucb/Gymfile"}' (JSON::ParserError)

8. DominikP

DominikP

Hi,

will support for older versions of Xcode be maintained? Since today, I have issue with building, because Unity Cloud is forcing xCode 10 for our project, even when in configuration we have selected Xcode 9.2.

upload_2018-11-19_11-49-25.png

And from logs

1715: + Building with Xcode 10.0
    1728: ▸ ❌; clang: error: no such file or directory: '/APPLICATION_PATH/Xcode10_0_0.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS12.0.sdk/usr/lib/Libstdc++.tbd'
    1741: ❌; clang: error: no such file or directory: '/APPLICATION_PATH/Xcode10_0_0.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS12.0.sdk/usr/lib/Libstdc++.tbd'
    1742: ▸ clang: error: no such file or directory: '/APPLICATION_PATH/Xcode10_0_0.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS12.0.sdk/usr/lib/Libstdc++.tbd'
    1743: publishing finished successfully.
    1744: Finished: FAILURE

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  9. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

@DominikP, This was a known issue that should now be resolved and you should no longer be experiencing Xcode 10 being incorrectly selected. Sorry for any inconvenience.

@Mint-Mobile, Sorry to hear that you are still having trouble. Seems like a character may not be correct due to copy and pasting from the browser. If you are still having trouble, please log a support ticket via the Cloud Build section of the Developer Dashboard and we will happily take a closer look

10. rarebyte

rarebyte

Here is the correct ucb_xcode_fastlane.json (note that there is no comma character):

{
    "gymfile": "Assets/ucb/Gymfile"
    }

PhilMcJ and ollieblanks like this.
  11. joshskelton

joshskelton

Can someone point me where to see how to make a Gymfile?

12. joshskelton

joshskelton

Never mind. I figured it out, but I'm still getting the same error. Has anyone here had this issue lately?

13. PhilMcJ

PhilMcJ

Unity Technologies

Note: the syntax error in the JSON snippet above has been fixed. Thanks to all who pointed it out.

14. joshskelton

joshskelton

Does this issue still persist? Namely with Unity 2018.4.7f1? I'm getting errors that the author has pointed out. My builds work fine when built locally and uploaded from my local machine. It doesn't work when building through Unity Cloud Build.

15. Eric-Farraro

Eric-Farraro

In case anyone else googles "Provisioning profile ... doesn't match the entitlements file's value for the com.apple.developer.ubiquity-kvstore-identifier entitlement" trying to add iCloud to their project and stumbles across this page in 2020, the answer is - yes, this still seems to be required. I found this post after googling the above error. Adding the two files mentioned in OP resolved the issue and allowed me to successfully build on UCB.

I also found this post (https://forum.unity.com/threads/ios...nt-match-the-entitlements-files-value.816444/) useful for understanding how to add the required entitlement capabilities for iCloud. That post plus this post allowed me to build with the iCloud entitlement specified for my proejct.

(Using Unity 2018.4 LTS and latest XCode on UCB - currently XCode 11 I believe)

16. vejab

vejab

I'm having this issue and I'm having a hard time fixing it even using fastlane. But since the issue is with expanding "$(TeamIdentifierPrefix)", can't we simply replace this ourselves with the correct value in the entitlements file?

edit : yolo but it solves this issue
    Code (CSharp):
    1. manager.Entitlements.ReadFromString(manager.Entitlements.WriteToString().Replace("$(TeamIdentifierPrefix)$(CFBundleIdentifier)","1ABCD1ABCD.com.mycompany.myapp"));

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024