Search Unity

Feedback Unity Cloud Build Team: please communicate more

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by ManuelRauber, Oct 6, 2021.

1. ManuelRauber

ManuelRauber

Hi Unity Cloud Build Team,

you know it: We're all waiting for Xcode 12.5 and 13 to be available on UCB.

As we're all software developers, we know, that sometimes, stuff takes longer than expected. Unforeseen things can happen and eventually will delay a release.

In this case, you've to update to the new macOS version to make the latest Xcode builds possible for us. And we all know, it sounds easy, but it's not. It is easy for a single machine, but in UCB you run hundreds of servers and massive infrastructure to make UCB possible for us.

Maybe it's not even a technical issue, but a legal or organizational issue that leads to the current delay of rolling out Xcode 12.5 & 13.

Like a lot of other people, I'm also waiting for Xcode and I've your timeline (https://forum.unity.com/threads/update-on-xcode-12-5-and-13-0-timing.1165295/) in my head, that has unfortunately not been reached.

I understand that and I accept that. As said, sometimes unforeseen things happen and it takes more time to change the service that is used by gazillons of developers.

But, what I do not understand and like is the lack of communication. Neither here in the forum or on your docs (https://unity-technologies.github.io/cloud-build-docs-public/) is information about a delay and a new possible timeline.

In my point of view, going radio silence is never a good idea. I only have one request: Please communicate more. Just a little post, that you encounter some issues and the timeline needs to be moved to another date. This also saves you some support requests.
    Your original timeline was the end of September, that was a week ago. It would've been nice if 2-3 days before reaching that timeline you would've created a post that it's not possible to hold it and it will be moved.

We all love what UCB does for us and I'm happily using it. But please, do communicate. :)

Thanks!

To the other readers: Please do not use this thread to rant about UCB. As written, I totally understand that sometimes things do not work out as expected and take more time. It's all about communication.

2. Markusn

Markusn

Echoing that. Two weeks now. iOS 15 is rolling out to more and more devices. CB is an essential tool in our pipeline, we are paying for additional build servers, please communicate!

3. ManuelRauber

ManuelRauber

4. rajivrao

rajivrao

Unity Technologies

Hey @ManuelRauber -- thanks for reaching out and appreciate the message. I apologize for the delayed response, I've been a bit behind on monitoring the forums this week.

You’re absolutely right. We need to be better about communicating proactively, especially when the delays have such a large impact on your development (like the Xcode release). As a team, we’re committing to doing a better job at this.

I've updated the post in the thread (https://forum.unity.com/threads/update-on-xcode-12-5-and-13-0-timing.1165295/) but am waiting from our team for a specific ETA. As soon as we have one, I'll make sure to post here, in that thread, and Github.io.

I mention this in the pinned post as well, but we are also investigating how to improve this process so there aren’t delays in the future and ideally we can get the release to you sooner. Of course, this doesn’t excuse the lack of communication and that’s something we will improve on. Thanks again for your thoughtful note.

ManuelRauber and dirty-rectangle like this.
  5. ManuelRauber

ManuelRauber

Hi @rajivrao

thank you very much for your answer and the updated post in the mentioned thread.

I highly appreciate it!

If you need any help testing, please feel free to reach out. The game itself is very small (just like its user base) but it's published and ready to go. :)

Thanks!

6. rajivrao

rajivrao

Unity Technologies

Howdy! Just wanted to let you all know that we're live with Xcode 12.5.1 and 13.0! Some more details in the pinned forum post.

In addition to better communication in the future, going to lay out in a post how we're improving our processes to improve our ship times for the next round of Xcode.

Thanks again for your patience!

ManuelRauber and FelipeRezende01 like this.