Search Unity

Unity Cloud Build beta open for Pro users.

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by Aurore, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Unity Cloud Build Open Beta

Currently open for Pro users, sign up and let us know what you think. Please keep all conversations about Cloud Build within this forum.

https://build.cloud.unity3d.com

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  2. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Are there any plans to support Unity Asset Server?

3. Pr3s4ri0

Pr3s4ri0

Will you support other platforms like standalone PC and Mac in this beta ?
    is there a way to specify custom defines (Scripting Define Symbols) as part of the configuration for builds ?
    is there support for PostProcessBuild Attribute ?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    SureSight and Keepabee like this.
  4. mgear

mgear

Getting empty page with "Application error" (after clicking login).. maybe too much traffic?

*ok, got in after few tries

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  5. schmosef

schmosef

This is so exciting.

I just tested a small demo project and it works!

The build time was a little slower than I expected but it wasn't terrible.

I could get back to work while the build happened in the cloud.

Looking forward to the day when I can use this to build all 17 platforms at once.

I haven't configured iOS yet. I have to get back to the office for that. I might go back tonight just to try it.

6. oddgoo-io

oddgoo-io

This is fantastic!

Quick question, is it ok to only have the "Assets" and "ProjectSettings" folder on the repo to keep thing small and tidy?

7. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

Hi Oddgoo.io - thanks for trying out the service! We're really pleased that you like it so far.

When the Unity Cloud Build system builds your project in the cloud, it needs to access all the same folders & files you use to build your project in your local Unity Editor: Library, Assets, and ProjectSettings.

One further piece of information: if those files and folders (Library, ProjectSettings, Assets) are not in the main (root) folder of your code repository, we'll need you to provide us with the "subfolder" path to where those files reside.

Let us know if you have any problems!

8. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@hypeNate @Aurore Can you please reply my question about the support for Unity Asset Server?

9. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Don't you just mean Assets and ProjectSettings? Library should never be in source control.

10. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

@superpig and @oddgoo.io - Sorry! I misspoke - yes, you are right. We build the Library on our side (and can cache it if you want us to, which speeds up the build). How is it going so far? Are you able to build your project?

@luispedrofonseca - at this time we don't support Asset Server. Regarding plans to add support, I think it depends on how the beta goes & what users ask for the most.

11. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@hypeNate Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, that doesn't make ANY sense... So Unity basically lures users into buying the incredibly over-priced Team License for a half-baked versioning system and now, one of the coolest features of Unity doesn't even support it and there are no plans for it?!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  12. oddgoo-io

oddgoo-io

Thank you for your reply!

It did build! But weirdly enough, one or two meshes became completely transparent in the executables. I looked in the build logs for any mentions of the mesh, material or prefab but there were no warnings related to them.

13. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

@oddgoo.io - that IS weird. I've never seen that happen before. When you do a clean build on your local machine, does it do the same thing? Are you including any external frameworks or anything like that?

If this continues to happen, file a support ticket with us and give us your App ID and the Build # where you saw the problem and we can check it out. Thanks!

14. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Is the service still accepting new users? I had a break and went to try it out and got sent to a /WAITING page. I have a Unity PRO + iOS Pro license.

Gigi

15. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

@Gigiwoo - Yes we are! We are admitting users in waves, in order to ensure system performance. If you are not admitted in the next day or so, please tag me on this forum thread and I'll get in touch with you.

Thanks for your patience!

16. schmosef

schmosef

@Gigiwoo

For me, the wait list was quite underwhelming.

I was all set to be annoyed but it ended up being less than 2 hours between when I signed up and when I got the email telling me I was granted access.

So far, I'm quite impressed.

17. oddgoo-io

oddgoo-io

A clean build produced no such errors. We do have a couple of frameworks integrated tho! Soom.la (which actually does a post-build operation ! ) GameAnalytics, and Parse.com. I will try disabling Soom.la for now, and see if that solves the issue. Thanks!

18. StarManta

StarManta

Sure makes me glad we haven't shelled out for the Asset Server, at any rate. (Which, from Unity's point of view, is certainly a sentiment that should be avoided at all costs...)

If you're not going to support Asset Server on UCB, then perhaps it's time to declare the Asset Server a failure and/or make it free. The only reason to even consider not supporting Asset Server in UCB is that not enough customers have bought Asset Server to make it worthwhile - which is to say, it's an abject failure. Making it free would probably make it an overnight success, and make it worth adding to UCB. Discontinuing it on the grounds of it being such a failure would be sensible as well.

19. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

@StarManta and @luispedrofonseca - most of the Asset Server customers we have talked with are running it on their local / internal network, which makes accessing it much more difficult for Unity Cloud Build.

20. StarManta

StarManta

I have 2 thoughts on this:
    1) They're hosting it locally because there are no decent cloud services that host Unity Asset Server projects, certainly none affordably. Since they have to set it up themselves, it may as well be local.
    2) Unity Cloud Build would be a huge killer app for UAS if it worked with it, drastically increasing the number of people/studios willing to pay for UAS.

I would think the obvious move here would be to not merely add UAS support as "another place UCB can get its version data from" (although I would expect that as a bare minimum given its cost and the fact that it's made by the same company), but go a step farther: Make that $500 license include a UCB account which itself serves as your UAS server. That would be a killer app. That might be a reason for our studio to get UAS, even.

21. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Actually, that would make UAS viable to me, if it basically served as a cloud hosted build system and asset/code repository all in one. As it is, there's so many other free alternatives that I don't see how UAS stands on its own, but being cloud hosted and directly rolled into Unity Cloud would, I think, dramatically increase its popularity.

22. mog-mog-mog

mog-mog-mog

What kind of Android/IOS build it will generate? Will it manage permissions as well?

For Android, I am assuming it'll generate APK - shared with specific people. Can you please confirm?
    For Ios, Will it generate the Adhoc beta IPA ? Does user need to upload beta provisioning profile for signing IPA?

For user sign up during beta, does they have to pay later when the product is released? Or is it lifetime free?

23. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

I can understand that it could be hard to access internal networks. Just make it a requirement to have the UAS on an "public" server then.

Just don't make everybody else that also paid $500/seat blocked out of UCB just because most people are using it locally...

24. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

@hypeNate - No entry into the Unity Cloud Beta yet. Tagging you, as requested.
    Gigi

25. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

@lilboylost - thanks for your interest! We generate APK 'release' builds for Android (using either Keystore or Development provisioning).

For iOS we generate an IPA 'release' build using whichever mobile provision profile / certificate you gave us when you set up the project.

Anyone you invite as a "collaborator" on a project will receive build notifications. Otherwise you can send individual builds to specific people with the "Share" link.

We have not announced pricing plans for Unity Cloud Build yet, but we have publicly committed to always having a free plan of some kind.

26. deekpyro

deekpyro

Unity Cloud Build is very handy. I run a Jenkins build server but prefer this simpler and Unity-friendlier approach. I do find it unusual builds take so long though. More than 10 minutes for web builds and sometimes more than an hour for iOS/Android builds.

Some good feedback has been posted above. I would like to see Unity Cloud Build remember the Web Build Player resolution on a per project basis (EDIT also this setting could be used when sharing builds with others). Also the Web Builds seem to be wiping out the preferences with each build.

The Unity Cloud Build servers are stock installs of Unity. So if you have meshes with .blend or .C4D files Unity Cloud won't be able to import these files and they will not appear.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    drawcode and hypeNate like this.
  27. drawcode

drawcode

Been using Unity Cloud Build Beta for a couple days and love it. Can't wait until it is out of beta and it is even something I'd pay for dedicated, etc. If is to be part of Pro without pay awesome as well.

We use CI for almost everything except Unity builds until recently with the no ui command for server builds, but Unity Cloud Beta also has that distribution/testflight side for both iOS and Android (Testflight removed Android when Apple bought them) that is nice as a one stop for all. Plus web builds all in a very nice CI system. We are also using Everyplay and love it. Seriously good services that I hope get lots of focus.

After setting up the builds do take a while to run (20-40min each platform - YMMV depending on project size) so some way to make that faster would be cool or switch it to 'ship mode' where builds fly out for a few days faster on some premium. Locally they take about 10-20 minutes but parallel on the cloud is nice, currently looks like 2 in parallel. Another area you could juice for 'ship mode' builds when needed faster. It is nice though with CI to be able to keep working on something while your builds are running and reporting in when ready. Makes sending it out to clients and testers easy as well.

Unity Cloud Build Beta +1

hypeNate likes this.
  28. deekpyro

deekpyro

Could we add a timestamp to the mobile build page? The build numbers are not specific enough to tell if a recent push was built. Also auto-pushing iOS builds to TestFlight would be great (along with auto-updating the build numbers on TF)!

poshaughnessey likes this.
  29. deekpyro

deekpyro

I bought a new iOS device and restored it from a backup of another device and am noticing Unity Cloud Build now thinks I'm using the same Device (it lists the old device's UDID) preventing me from installing builds. I had this same issue on TestFlight but it allowed me to re-add the device; here I seem to be stuck.

30. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

31. comworm

comworm

I just realized that I cannot use UCB for my UAS!! What's going on there?? Don't you think you should consider UAS as top most priority?? I hope you don't forget it's your own commercial product. Make it possible or do NOT sell it.
    I seriously started to consider switching source control from UAS to SVN.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    luispedrofonseca likes this.
  32. dizzlebomb

dizzlebomb

For what it's worth, we've been hosting our Unity Asset Server on Amazon EC2 for about a year and a half. The first year was free, and now it costs about 14 bucks a month. Not bad in my mind... I'd say that's plenty affordable. I honestly think this has a bit more to do with whether Unity truly wants to be in the 'full featured version control' business or not. Asset Server works smoothly and wonderfully for about 95% of what you wanna do day to day, and then occasionally you start cursing because you want to roll back something specific or create a branch spec or something. It's obviously also not viable for large teams that mandate these more advanced features. My personal feeling is that initially they thought the road to success was easier to have fully integrated version control, but now they don't believe that to be the case anymore.

Once we upgrade to Unity 5 sometime this year, we'll re-evaluate things and likely move over to Cloud Build and start a new era of version control.

33. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@dizzlebomb The more you use other versioning control systems (I personally recommend Git), the more you'll see how bad the UAS is. The list of missing features and quirks is so large that the lack of support for Cloud Build was just the final nail in the coffin. Unity should have stopped selling it several years ago.

34. dizzlebomb

dizzlebomb

Well, I originally got involved with UAS because of the .meta files, and it's ability to manage them. This was a point of contention about 3 years ago or so regarding UAS vs other version control software. I have lots of experience with PerForce, I understand how large the list of missing features is... but I also work with a team of 3 and UAS does in fact suit our needs 95% of the time. I haven't been following closely what the plan is... is there a plan yet to abolish UAS?

35. StarManta

StarManta

The lack of support for it in UCB tells us more than anything else possibly could about UAS's future. And if that weren't enough, it hasn't been updated in more than 2 years, DESPITE the missing features. It's done.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.