Search Unity

Unity Cloth Continues to Disappoint in 2017.3...sigh...

Discussion in 'Physics' started by VirtusH, Dec 24, 2017.

1. VirtusH

VirtusH

So far it's just as buggy and limited as ever. :(

Issues/Probable Bugs:
    -Self-collision "works" sometimes. Other times cloth just disappears on play.
    -After that^, all self-collision settings lock themselves and I can no longer edit which particles should self-collide.
    -Cloth constraint editor is still atrocious. I have various cloth layers with some overlap and I have absolutely zero way to visually separate them. Using separate cloth objects increases draw calls, so that's a no-go.
    -Self-collision settings are per-cloth object and not per-particle/vertex, which makes it's use fairly limited.
    -There is STILL no way to exclude vertices from collision.
    -Tether length STILL cannot be adjusted, making tethers virtually useless, which means if you want to constrain vertices, you have to do it through the awful constraint editing tool.

Ideas (assuming bugs fixed as well):
    -Cloth constraint editor needs a toggle to enable a per-element color-coding offset. Essentially each separated mesh element inside an object should operate in a distinctly different color range.
    -Add a per-object tether scale property. (Would allow cloth to still stretch realistically)
    -Add a per-vertex option to exclude vertices from collision. (ALL fixed particles currently collide with ALL colliders, which leads to people splitting up cloth objects, which in turn lowers performance.)

Until these issues are properly addressed, I'm going to be using and recommending ObiCloth, which isn't as fast as PhysX Cloth, but allows infinitely more control and has more capability all around, meaning I can actually do something with it.

PoppyTheCool likes this.