Search Unity

Unity CEO On VR/AR: ‘In My Mind We Haven’t Seen A Consumer Launch Yet’

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AndersMalmgren, Sep 7, 2018.

1. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Very cool. So it sounds like this idea I thought might be a problem isn't at all -- or at least not much of one.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

I stopped reading at this point of your post when I realized it was just another "You don't understand X". :p

bobisgod234 likes this.
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Trouble is without a feedback/resistance system its impossible to come close to reality.

In a VR sword fight, doing something as basic as 'enemy parries my blow pushing sword somewhere else' is difficult/impossible. And yet controlling the position of your opponents sword is a major part of sword fighting. If the AI can't do this, its basically just going to be cannon fodder.

It might be fun slicing up guys that can't fight back. But its not going to be realistic.

AndersMalmgren and Ryiah like this.
  4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Yeah, that's how I feel too. I think it could be a lot of fun, but there is just certain limits that can't be overcome.

Still, swordplay could be reasonably nuanced, even if it's not realistic. Main thing I would like to do is play a fighting game and actually get some exercise from it at the same time.

5. Antypodish

Antypodish

What we need, is gaming exoskeleton, which will provide haptic feedback when hit, or pairing, or whatever interaction applied from the game, on the player ;) Or maybe just put player straight away into matrix (as a battery of course).

Ryiah likes this.
  6. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

haha, well, when it comes to VR its a valid point, but I do understand what you mean :D

7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Better to just jack into the brain and send and retrieve the signals, the biggest challenge will be to cut off the signals to the muscles, you dont want people running into a wall :D

8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I agree, while it feels pretty correct hitting static items like the table I showed above, hitting dynamic moving NPCs are a entire different thing. It might feel good desyncing the melee weapon from the controller like it does with my static table. I will need to dig into this more later when we finnish our knife system.

9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Thanks for the tip about Moss, I did plan to buy it when it came out but forgot about it, bought it now after your recommendation.

Its proof VR works for any genre. Desktop players can only dream about a platformer on this level. Its a very cute and beautiful game. Super well made!

BlackPete likes this.
  10. BlackPete

BlackPete

Loved Moss. My wife played it and beat it. And she's usually the type of gamer I have to a̶r̶m̶ ̶t̶w̶i̶s̶t̶ gently coax into trying a game.

It's a shame Nintendo seems to be against VR (although to be fair, they did try with the Virtual Boy...), I'd love to see their take on Mario VR.

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  11. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Yeah my wife was asleep I can't wait for her reaction tomorrow, I know she will love it. Will let my six year old test too atleast the beginning before the violence start.

Edit: Nintendo can go the sega route and create software :)

12. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Going back to topic a bit but still related to Moss, their trailer really tells the problem about VR, you cant see how freaking awsome the feeling is of being a giant hovering over the little mouse and the world

edit: PSVR trailer looks better on PC

13. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I got this video sent to me from one of our players, what you guys says, does it sell how fun VR is?

14. zenGarden

zenGarden

VR needs higher resolution and pixel density, Pimax is one example and the first steps in that direction.
    To sell well VR will need it's price to drop, and best 3D cards price to drop, the game should run 90 fps.
    It's too earlier for affordable VR you would have cristal clear image without seeing any pixels.

I agree, many people just want a regular screen and have fun, they don't want to be overwhelmed in the game environment.

15. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Primax don't have foveated rendering though, which is a must for performance