Search Unity

Bug Unity causing Blue Screen of Death on Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Bowbowis, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Bowbowis

Bowbowis

I've had three BSoDs in the last two days (specifically PC_Watchdog_Timeout errors). All three have happened while I was working in Unity, specifically after I saved changes to a script in Visual Studio. My first sign that a crash is imminent has been the editor becoming non-responsive, soon followed by the rest of Windows. Am I correct in my assumption that Unity is responsible for these crashes? If so, what can I do to stop them? I already tried updating Unity to the latest version last night but had another crash this morning.

Of course, I'm open to suggestions even if it turns out Unity isn't the source of the problem.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Doesn't sound likely that this is Unity's fault. I'm assuming you actually meant PDC_Watchdog_Timeout. This is an error typically related to problems going into or coming out of sleep mode.

So the first thing I'd try is completely disabling sleep mode, in Windows power settings and the BIOS. If your computer has a keyboard shortcut which initiates sleep mode, make sure you're not accidentally hitting it. If this is a laptop with a power button configured to enter sleep mode, set the power button to do something else, as they can be easy to accidentally bump and not really realize it. See if you still encounter the issue.

3. Jyk0b

Jyk0b

I am having the same issue. Similarly to the OP, I too experience BSOD when saving in VS code. Did this fix end up working? I am currently using Unity version 2022.1.16f in my project, and visual studio code 2019.