Search Unity

Unity capabilities

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by gilamran, Aug 20, 2018.

1. gilamran

gilamran

Hi,
    I'm starting with unity, I did few online tutorials on Udemy. and I feel that I have a good grasp on what's possible in unity regarding software development.
    Now that I want to start coding a new mobile game, I don't have a clue on how to handle multi mobile platforms... Each platform has a different CPU and GPU, with different capabilities...
    Surly there are features in Unity intended for PS4 GPU abilities, features that will not work on mobile...

How can I tell what's possible and what's not? What are the best practices... etc.
    All the courses are explaining "how-to" but not talking about multi device capabilities...

p.s.
    I feel like I need a course from A to Z on mobile dev. with Unity....

Thanks

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It can do everything. We can't discuss consoles due to NDA. But those can do everything a decent desktop can too. The issue for mobile will be mostly performance, so you will make the choices based on testing. And nope, can't give estimates.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Modern platforms mostly differ in performance not capabilities. Just as an example the iPhone 7 is using the PowerVR GT7600 Plus. With it being a mobile chipset and an old one at that you might think that it would lack features but the chipset is actually able to handle the latest release of DirectX and equivalent APIs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iOS_devices#iPhone
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR#Series7XT_Plus_(Rogue)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Get some representative samples of mobile devices you want to support and run some tests on them.