Search Unity

Unity can only build once

Discussion in 'Linux' started by as3mbus, Nov 17, 2017.

1. as3mbus

as3mbus

Hello. im having problem where unity wont build again after the first build.
    the workaround for me till now is just restarting unity which takes a lot of time when you dont hav stable connection.
    im using Unity 2017.1.1f3 linux and my build target is android

here's the error that i receive when creating another build after the first one.
    upload_2017-11-17_16-19-3.png

Thanks in advance

2. nat42

nat42

Well that's hard to read... I'm guessing you ran the last build and it is still running? Try closing it?

3. as3mbus

as3mbus

no. it doesnt matter if i build or build and run it always end up the same. and i believe the previous build alrdy finished as well since it always pop out the file explorer everytime it finish

4. as3mbus

as3mbus

hey i just hav reinstalled my whole pc and still encountering the same problem
    the problem persist even after i changed to unity 2017.2.0.f3
    and it seems the error looks more clear on this version (or maybe not)

it says destination path already exist
    is there any way for me to fix this ?
    upload_2017-12-4_11-7-10.png

5. GordonM

GordonM

Weird, what are you using to execute your builds?

I've got mine working fine, it spits out a build for linux, windows and mac

6. PJayB

PJayB

Unity Technologies

I wonder if the build process is unable to remove the old `Temp/StagingArea/assets/bin/Data` folder. Can you run Unity with the -logfile command line argument and see if there are any relevant errors in the output?

7. CyRaid

CyRaid

I ran into a problem in the past where I'd have my projects on an NTFS drive, and the hidden gfuse files kept Unity from removing the temporary directory and finish staging. To fix it, I've just put my unity projects on my EXT4 drive.

8. Nick-at-AccuPS

Nick-at-AccuPS

Edit: Running "pkill -f UnityShaderCompiler" after every build fixes the issue without restarting Unity.

@PJayB Getting the same error message and single successful build behavior, exactly this setup (NTFS drive, building for Android). ls -a shows .fuse_hidden[long hex] in Temp (4 files) and Temp/StagingArea/assets/bin/Data (1 file). lsof shows 5-7 UnityShad(er?) commands attached to each, killing the associated UnityShader processes via their PID allows you to rebuild the project again, but this process must be repeated for every rebuild. So the problem appears to either be the orphaned processes are not killed when they should be, or the orphans are not releasing resources they no longer need.

@as3mbus any chance you're building on an NTFS drive too?

The motivation for this kind of setup is a dual boot system with a shared resources partition, NTFS is being easier to setup due to EXT* support being absent in Windows. For what it's worth this error is why I stopped developing with Unity while in Linux.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    as3mbus and od3098 like this.
  9. as3mbus

as3mbus

actually i was forgot to answer this thread long time ago. and i just remember this by having the same issue. and yes it still persist at version 2018.3.0f2

yes the project is in NTFS drive, (even though i barely used windows anymore this still sticks since i dont want to format most of my data *yet)
    killing unity shader compiler worked fine and fixed the problem inconveniently

10. PixelJ

PixelJ

Unity Technologies

If you are able to repro, could you submit a bug?

11. as3mbus

as3mbus

just a quick update :
    alrdy submitted the bug report but it looks like they cant look into it for the time being.
    so just use workaround shown by @Nick-at-AccuPS

12. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

I have the same errors in Unity 2019.1.1f1. This error happens after I build successfully once, and then when I want to build my Android game again, I got these errors. I simply ignore these errors then try to build again, the build is successful again.

13. bblakesley01

bblakesley01

I kept having this problem in 2019.3.0b1. I changed my output directory to an external drive although it was still NTFS. I also quit saving over the same .apk file on export from Unity. Since I starting using these steps I haven't had any issues.

Once I also reconnected/refreshed the Quest and that fixed export errors.

I hope this helps others.

14. georgetowersassets

georgetowersassets

ran into this problem in Unity 2018.2.18, in this case it was due to an error with the Burst Package, I needed to downgrade it to 0.2.4 preview41 from 45 (48 and 50 have different errors on project boot) and solved it, I was not using the package, had just imported it on an empty project with all the ECS related and compatible packages

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021