Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Camera Stuttering with a Simple Camera movement

Discussion in '2D' started by polymoongames, Aug 20, 2017.

1. polymoongames

polymoongames

I am having a problem recently. I was making a 2d project I realized i was having some stutter on my camera so i decided to make a simple scene so i could see if my problem is about anything or with my camera. I have only 1 camera 1 moving object on x direction and a tiled background to see if the camera stutters. I have tried with both unity 5.2 and 2017.1 but no luck. The results are the same. The camera is stutering. vsync was affectting me a lot but even turning it off helped a bit but decreasing fixed time made it sooooo smooth. http://www.skgames.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Unity_4_2_2_Stuttering.mov (This is not my project but the problem is same) In my scene there is only 1 main camera 1 moving object on x and a tiled background. (Also a thread opened here with same issue in 2011 here is the link : https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/stuttering-issue-on-unity-4-2.203552/ ) I have been trying to figure this out for 5 days but :/ I believe my codes are not the problem since the code is only 1-2 line but if you wonder here it is :
    (This is for the basic project only camera following a moving object on x direction with a tiled background (in order to see if the camera stutters or not))

Public class MovingObjectScript : MonoBehaviour {

public static MovingObjectScript instance;

[SerializeField]
    private Rigidbody2D myRigidBody;

[SerializeField]
    private Animator anim;

private float forwardSpeed = 2f;

void Start()
    {
    SetCameraX();
    }

void FixedUpdate ()
    {
    Vector3 temp = transform.position;
    temp.x += forwardSpeed * Time.deltaTime;
    transform.position = temp;
    }

void SetCameraX()
    {
    CameraScript.offsetX = (Camera.main.transform.position.x - transform.position.x) - 1f;
    }

public float GetPositionX()
    {
    return transform.position.x;
    }

This is for the moving object.

And this is for the camera

public class CameraScript : MonoBehaviour
    {
    public static float offsetX;

void Update ()
    {
    MoveTheCamera();
    }

void MoveTheCamera()
    {
    Vector3 temp = transform.position;
    temp.x = MovingObjectScript.instance.GetPositionX() + offsetX;
    transform.position = temp;
    }
    }

Besides this I have tried to get the old position in the update and carrying to the new position in late update it gives a slightly better smoothness. Using fixed time with a value of 0.2 makes it horrible (The stutter is so obvious when its 0.2). Using only update with 0.2 still bad. I am about eat my brain because of this error. I want to solve this permanently without changing fixed steps. If someone can help me solving this problem. I will pray for him/her :) (All this made with without vsync. When I turn it on it goes really bad and even decreasing timesteps dont help it)

2. polymoongames

polymoongames

I meant 0.02

3. joshcantcode

joshcantcode

Try and use
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Update()
    instead of
    Code (CSharp):
    1. FixedUpdate()
    Since fixed is meant for physics.