Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity cache and manifes.json error

Discussion in '2018.1 Beta' started by V_endeta, Feb 2, 2018.

1. V_endeta

V_endeta

Every time i create and start my project i get this error | Failed to initialize project : EPERM: operation not permitted, rename 'C:\ProgramData\Unity\cache\npm\packages.unity.com\com.unity.analytics\0.0.19\package.tgz.788318918' -> 'C:\ProgramData\Unity\cache\npm\packages.unity.com\com.unity.analytics\0.0.19\package.tgz'. No packages loaded.

PC: Intel i3 6100 and HD5670, Windows 10 64bit full updated, Unity 2018.1.0b5 Personal (64bit) DX11
    I dont have that problem in older unity versions...

2. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Kosta99DT,

We believe this error is caused by antivirus software. Could you please let us know whether you have any antivirus products installed on your PC and, if so, which ones?

Thanks,
    Sam

3. Danielsantalla

Danielsantalla

I'm not using any antivirus and I get that error everytime too.

4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Kosta99DT,

It looks to be a really rare edge case in our package manager system. Could you try to erase the folder 'C:\ProgramData\Unity\cache' and see if you can start the editor? Please, let us know if the bug reappear.

Regards,

Pascal

5. Danielsantalla

Danielsantalla

I'm having the same issue
    I'm having the same issue. For some reason I can't find the folder you're saying. Actually at ProgramData\Unity there is only one folder called "editor" and inside of it there are four more folders but none of them are called "cache"

6. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@Danielsantalla , which beta version are you using? You have the exact same message error? The message error above refers to 'C:\ProgramData', which path your specific error refers to?

7. Danielsantalla

Danielsantalla

I got confused, I do can see the cache folder. However it still does not work after deleting it. I am using Unity 2018.1.0b8

8. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

You still get the exact same message error after erasing the cache?

9. Danielsantalla

Danielsantalla

yep

10. Danielsantalla

Danielsantalla

Actually, the Cache folder reappears when I re-open the editor

11. Burve

Burve

It seem this bug is still active. I updated beta to 2018.1.0b13 now can't open or create projects for it. Every time I do I get upload_2018-4-16_15-22-30.png . I tried to do what popup say (file renaming), but that give 0 results. I tried deleting cache folder with 0 results.
    If I click continue, then project opens, but like this upload_2018-4-16_15-23-55.png .

Wheat is interesting, when I create new project for this Unity beta version in Unity Hub 0.15.0 it is marked as Unity 2018.1.0b6 (not marked b13)

I run Windows 10 (Version 1709, OS Build 16299.371)
    I also tried to make sure that host file have at least one record of localhost and I tried running "setx UNITY_NOPROXY localhost,127.0.0.1" in CMD, that succeeded, but no change with Unity.

Previously Unity 2018.1.0b13 was fine and Unity 2017.3.03f, 2017.4.0f1 and even sometimes 2017.4.1f1 work fine.

Any idea what to do with 2018.1.0b13 ?

Thanks

12. Burve

Burve

It seems this is easy fixable by opening appropriate Unity version directly (not via HUB) with Administrator rights and then opening or creating new project in that editor (so you actually get Unity to open). After that, as it seems so far, that version of Unity have no other issues.

If you have multiple Unity versions with same bug, then this operation need to be repeated for each of them.

Hope this can help :)

13. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Burve and @Danielsantalla ,

Sorry to see you were affected by this bug. This is a known bug that we have fixed in the final release version of 2018.1.

@Burve, your assessment of the issue is not too far from the mark :). We made the mistake of storing the package manager cache in the
    c:\programdata\Unity\cache
    folder. This folder is special, everyone has the right to read it. But not everyone has the rights to write to it. Only files the user own are writeable. So, if one user setup the cache and another one tries to update it, it will fail. Just like you experienced.

We moved back the cache folder in the user space. Every user will have his own cache. The *progamdata* folder will only be used for the *system* user.

Hope it helps,

Pascal