Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity C# Classes?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by ColouredPixelsUnity, Sep 8, 2015.

1. ColouredPixelsUnity

ColouredPixelsUnity

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of any Unity C# online classes, or just a way to have a real person teach me, and not some Youtube video with no way to ask question because they never read the comment section :mad:! So, if anyone can help, that would be Greatly appreciated.

2. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

got any money? Or are you expecting it for free?

3. ColouredPixelsUnity

ColouredPixelsUnity

Which ever. As long as its not drop dead expensive.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

ColouredPixelsUnity likes this.
  5. ColouredPixelsUnity

ColouredPixelsUnity

True, I've just tried it before, and after watching all of the videos, I still didn't know a single thing I was doing. Best I've wee done on my own is said my name in the Debug.Log. But, what's the shame in trying again

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you're struggling to pick up the concepts then you'll most likely want a mentor rather than a class. Classes are made to run at a certain pace whereas a mentor will only progress further once you're actually ready to do so. I don't know where you generally go to find someone though the Job Offering/Seeking sections might work for that.

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Many schools are now teaching game development classes. Unity is often taught as part of these classes.

8. ColouredPixelsUnity

ColouredPixelsUnity

I looked it up and there is no schools in my area, unless you meant online schools.

9. jhocking

jhocking

I might recommend a slightly different approach if you're having trouble understanding Unity's tutorials. Rather than starting with Unity directly, first learn general programming basics at codecademy; their interactive programming lessons are really effective for beginners. Then after doing like an hour of lessons there to grasp the basics, Unity's tutorials will make a lot more sense, or you could even checkout a resource like my book Unity in Action.

10. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

The other thing is, I suspect you're not using the tutorials correctly. It's not very effective to just watch a tutorial. You need to do the tutorial, that is, follow along step by step, reproducing what the author (erm, what's the correct noun for "one who makes a video"?) is doing. At each step, pause the video, and try to do what they did. You will probably get stuck here and there; so then you back up and try to catch what you missed, or if your results really don't match the video and you can't figure out why, you post a specific question to this forum.

If you do that, you'll find at the end that you have actually picked up quite a lot. Just watching them, not so much.

11. jhocking

jhocking

yeah that's probably the best thing about codecademy for learning programming: in order to see the next step in the lesson, they set it up so that you have to type in the code.

JoeStrout likes this.
  12. LaneFox

LaneFox

This!

Repeat everything in the tutorials manually and on your own. Type all of the scripts out yourself, you'll learn much better and feel like you've got something done.

unityunity