Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity C# 8 support

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by JesOb, Apr 18, 2019.

1. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Ahh, ok. From the Unity side, I don't expect that we will support Nuget soon though.

2. Huszky

Huszky

bdovaz, SINePrime and sand_lantern like this.
  3. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I wasn't involved in UPM at all, but I believe the Nuget did not meet some requirements UPM had.

4. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

IMO I am not sure if I want Unity-specific libraries to be distributed on NuGet, simply because they would not work for other non-Unity projects without Unity's core library also available on NuGet, because NuGet packages are expected to declare their dependencies. If one publishes such libraries and someone consumes them, they may find that the libraries causes compilation failures, which may lead to a lot of confusion (I don't expect everyone to read through the details on nuget.org...)

If I want to get Unity-specific packages from NuGet, I would expect Unity to ship their core library onto NuGet and make sure they compile and run standalone without Unity Editor/Runtime. Given Unity has a lot of things, someone may pull Unity as a dependency in their non-Unity project by accident, and it would also cause confusions.

5. Huszky

Huszky

This is not an actual issue. This kind of thing already happens with Windows only nuget packages which have precompiled dlls or old Net Framework nugets. When Core released nobody complained that they cant consume Windows only packages on Linux, so they want a new package manager.

6. ScottKane

ScottKane

IMO we should just have nuget integrated as another option for packages, because it doesn't interfere with unity packages, only additional third party code. You guys would also know which System assemblies come as part of the engine so could just block them from being re imported which makes everyone's developer experience better.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  7. aybe

aybe

It only fixes half of the problem actually,

You will still get the following warning:

warning CS8669: The annotation for nullable reference types should only be used in code within a ‘#nullable’ annotations context

By the way, doing only that would already make VS happy, though doing so from RSP triggers warnings on whole project as bonus.

8. unity_leuGqyZifU4AZg

unity_leuGqyZifU4AZg

@JoshPeterson Since it has been close to a month since last update, and Unity has shipped 2020.1.0f1 (which I'm pretty sure claimed it supports C#8), any update on C#8 working? Unity still generates 7.3 csproj files for me.

9. runner78

runner78

I think it is 2020.2 with C#8 support.

10. unity_leuGqyZifU4AZg

unity_leuGqyZifU4AZg

Ahh okay, nice!

11. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Ahh true, this is not a final solution. I've presented this feature request to our scripting team - they are planning to implement it. I don't have an ETA though.

12. Jorhoto

Jorhoto

can't wait for c#8 default interfaces :rolleyes:

Neonage, Grizmu, Flavelius and 3 others like this.
  13. RamType0

RamType0

Don't you think it's barren to port "Mono.Cecil" or "NewtonSoft.Json" to UPM, or to have your own equivalent just to resolve assembly conflicts in "System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Unsafe"?
    Add NuGet support or publish a converter to UPM.

14. bdovaz

bdovaz

https://github.com/xoofx/UnityNuGet

It's from a Unity employee @xoofx

It should be maintained officially to have a better way to handle common dependencies between UPM packages.

15. Ramobo

Ramobo

That requires manual conversion to the UPM format. It's native NuGet support that we need.

Qbit86 likes this.
  16. bdovaz

bdovaz

If you check that code, you will see that it converts on the fly (automatically) a Nuget package to the UPM package format.

17. Ramobo

Ramobo

That works, but native NuGet support would be nicer.

Qbit86 likes this.
  18. idchlife

idchlife

Hoping C# 8 support will land soon! I'm used to nullable types in AspNet and Xamarin projects :D

19. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

It already exists in Unity 2020.2 alpha releases and later.

AlejMC likes this.
  20. PlayCreatively

PlayCreatively

I upgraded my project to 2020.2.0a21 (alpha) and it doesn't seem to allow C# 8 code. I get this error: upload_2020-8-23_3-27-8.png

21. OndrejP

OndrejP

Default interface implementation is not just about C# compiler, it requires runtime support.

Unity has to upgrade to new Mono version - or use different runtime like .NET Core (unlikely to happen soon)
    And implement default interface implementation into IL2CPP

@JoshPeterson Any idea when this might happen?

PlayCreatively likes this.
  22. TheZombieKiller

TheZombieKiller

It's caused by the Visual Studio IDE package. For some reason right before Unity got C# 8 support, they added some functionality to it that forces projects to C# 7.3. There have been further updates to it after that, but none of them have addressed it, unfortunately. That said, as stated by OndrejP, even after this gets fixed you won't be able to use default interface implementations in particular.

23. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

We're working on it at the moment, but I don't have an ETA for default interface support yet.

24. idchlife

idchlife

Thanks! Yes, I saw this in comment earlier. But I'm sitting on 2019 LTS, because I'm too afraid to encounter serious bugs in my production ready projects :(

I suspect I will be able to hop on 2020 train in half a year or something, when LTS release will be available

25. Thaina

Thaina

Will it be backported to 2020.1 ?

26. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

No, we're not planning to have C# 8 support in 2020.1.

Prodigga and Thaina like this.
  27. Deleted User

Deleted User

28. Kamyker

Kamyker

Huszky and Qbit86 like this.
  29. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

30. Huszky

Huszky

Couldn't the category 2 problems be solved by adding https://github.com/bgrainger/IndexRange (or something equivalent ) and Microsoft.Bcl.AsyncInterfaces by default to unity?

31. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

That might be possible. In general though, we're trying to move toward support of more standard .NET BCL APIs, rather than adding one-of special cases. So I think our focus for the future will be directed at .NET 5 support instead.

32. Kamyker

Kamyker

There are still more important dlls that were already in C# 7:
    System.Buffers
    System.Memory
    System.Threading.Tasks.Extensions
    System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Unsafe

I wish these would be included as otherwise plugins have to ship them. They can't use package manager as they would clash with each other, for ex https://github.com/neuecc/MessagePack-CSharp

It was the case with DOTS and System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Unsafe but fortunately dll was removed at some point from package.

33. Karashi-shiki

Karashi-shiki

34. JesOb

JesOb

35. VolodymyrBS

VolodymyrBS

Already fixed:)

AlejMC, JesOb and Huszky like this.
  36. jGate99

jGate99

37. Huszky

Huszky

No, it only changes the compiler, and Default Interfaces require runtime support

jGate99 likes this.
  38. jGate99

jGate99

Aah, i really hope Unity Team add Default Interfaces support.
    Thats the one BEST thing in C#8 IMHO

Ghat-Smith likes this.
  39. Huszky

Huszky

Well i suppose it wont come until net 5 and c#9 are around which they don't even have a public roadmap for

jGate99 likes this.
  40. MDADigital

MDADigital

I think its a dumb feature to be honest. Tying implementation to an interface.

Qbit86 likes this.
  41. Qbit86

Qbit86

It's not dumb and has its own very narrow niche. But as far as I can see everyone can't wait to start misusing it for traits or something.

42. MDADigital

MDADigital

A very narrow niche and it will for certainly be misused. So I stick to it being dumb :p
    But there are alot other cool things in C# 8 like async streams and nullables

43. brunocoimbra

brunocoimbra

If you already tried the DOTS packages (Entities and Jobs, more specifically) then you will know that there are great use cases for that that currently requires ugly workarounds (such as unsafe pointers everywhere).

44. datagreed

datagreed

Damn, default interface method implementations were the only thing I was looking for in C# 8 :(((

45. MDADigital

MDADigital

Haven't tried it in a while. But I have a hard time seeing default interface implementation being the solution to using unsafe pointers

46. tmcdonald

tmcdonald

Does default interface implementation give you anything that you can't already do with extension methods? We've done some factory pattern setups using an empty interface and various extension methods in different nugets depending on what infrastructure you were using (for example, we had an ICache interface, and the factory for it was in a static CacheFactory with an empty ICacheFactory with a nuget for an extension method that would allow you to create it using Redis cache, another for an HTTP Restful cache, and another for an in-memory cache for testing.)

I guess I see that you can have non-public default implementations on an interface but that kinda seems like a code smell to me, but I could be totally missing something.

MDADigital likes this.
  47. MDADigital

MDADigital

I have done the same for APIs i have created, example here a API for SingalR

Code (CSharp):
    1. app
    2.                 .UseEventProxy()
    3.                 .UseSignalREventAggregator();
    https://github.com/AndersMalmgren/S...ggregatorProxy.Demo.AspNetCore/Startup.cs#L93

Implementation

Code (CSharp):
    2. public static IApplicationBuilder UseEventProxy(this IApplicationBuilder app, string eventsUrl)
    3. {
    4. app.Map(eventsUrl, subApp => subApp.UseMiddleware<EventScriptMiddleware>());
    5. return app;
    6. }
    Ok So I see a couple of problems here moving this to default interface implemnetation.

Im not even the owner of IApplicationBuilder its a microsoft owned interface. So I cant add any default methods to it. Second doin so would be extreme bad seperation.

tmcdonald likes this.
  48. Baste

Baste

The reason they were added was so that you could add new functionality to an interface in a backwards compatible manner.

So you have a library, and you want to add a method to an interface in that library. But a bunch of people have your library as a part of their apps, and are implementing that interface.

Before default implementations for the interface, they have to update their app to update your library. But now you can implement a default implementation, so they're good.

At least from the marketing material I have seen, that's the reason why the feature was made. If that's what it's going to be used for is a totally different question! I have seen talk about being able to make mixin-like interfaces in C#, which is a feature that a lot of people like from other languages.

NotaNaN, AlejMC and RunninglVlan like this.
  49. MDADigital

MDADigital

That makes no sense though. The implementation behind that interface is a blackbox to the library developer. There is no way he can implement a default behavior on that interface that will work for even a small part of its consumer base.

And if he could find a good default behavior for it then it was probably not a good candidate for that interface. If we know what something will do, there is no need for abstraction.

50. brunocoimbra

brunocoimbra

Currently if you want to have a base job type and "inherited jobs" from it, you need to create hacky workaround, such as creating a pointer to the "base type", or creating an interface + extension methods for that interface to make it work as desired. Here is a pratical example: upload_2020-9-17_16-19-48.png