Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity C# 8 support

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by JesOb, Apr 18, 2019.

1. JesOb

JesOb

Simple question is: Do Unity have plans to support C# 8. If they Do - When? :)

tigerleapgorge likes this.
  2. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Yes, we do plan to support C# 8. We don't have a release date yet, although I expect our support for it will lag a bit behind Microsoft's.

3. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

I doubt C# 8 itself has a release date yet.

4. JesOb

JesOb

Ok it is good thanks :)

Really I have just looking for undated roslyn compiler with support of C#8 so we can enable C#8 through csc.rsp and have benefits of NullableReference warnings in our project :)

5. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

You can play with the project I uploaded a while ago: Would the Roslyn Compiler compile C# 8.0 preview?

It has Roslyn C# 8.0 Preview compiler integrated. If there is a version of Roslyn newer than 2.11.0.63519, I believe, you can just replace the whole Roslyn folder there with the new version.

Mehrdad995 and SugoiDev like this.
  6. JesOb

JesOb

7. Sir-Thorgeir

Sir-Thorgeir

Any update on the release date for C# 8 support?

MilenaRocha likes this.
  8. joncham

joncham

Unity Technologies

Likely sometime in the 2020 release cycle.

9. jGate99

jGate99

stonstad likes this.
  10. JesOb

JesOb

Cool.
    Waiting for Nullables support :)
    I have event prepare command to make nullables warnings to be errors :)

11. OndrejP

OndrejP

How's it looking with C# 8 in Unity, any chance it will come with 2019.3?

12. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

No, as mentioned above, it will be in the 2020 release cycle at the earliest. We don't currently have an ETA, so it might be later.

Bunny83, TextusGames and jGate99 like this.
  13. JesOb

JesOb

May be you have plans to update C# compiler to latest released so we can adlast turn on some syntactic sugar without true support of new features?

holojotto, alexzzzz, Ramobo and 2 others like this.
  14. Jorhoto

Jorhoto

vlads777 and OndrejP like this.
  15. Just_Max_

Just_Max_

+1, static extensions and default interface implementations are sweet ^_^

OndrejP likes this.
  16. OndrejP

OndrejP

+1
    I don't think static extensions are part of C# 8.
    But I'm waiting for default interface implementation and some minor things like readonly members and unmanaged constructed types might fit very well into DOTS.

17. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

+5 million
    simple 'using' statements :D
    switch expressions :cool:

And a personal favorite;
    this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. int[] array = { 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 };
    2. int i = array[^1]; // returns 9
    3. int[] subArray = array[1..3]; // returns { 3, 5 }
    4. int[] subArray2 = array[^2..]; // returns { 7, 9 }

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    r137, Rallix and TheSmokingGnu like this.
  18. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

array[1..3] should return 2 elements.

19. sebas77

sebas77

More than c# 8 I need .net standard 2.1 support (fast span). is there a plan for that or will they potentially come together?

Qbit86 and goncalo-vasconcelos like this.
  20. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

Fast span is pretty important for working with memory in cache friendly ways.

goncalo-vasconcelos likes this.
  21. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

We're looking at ways to bring C# 8 and .NET Standard 2.1 (or at least span support) to Unity. Our main concern is that .NET Standard 2.1 is not supported by .NET Framework, so adopting .NET Standard 2.1 would be a breaking change for the Unity ecosystem. In addition, .NET 5 is planned for release near the end of 2020, and we'd like to bring that to Unity users as well.

We are working though the best way to handle this, but we don't have any updates yet.

22. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

I hope you guys can figure out a way for us to be able to just drop a new Roslyn whenever it comes out.
    With the old incremental compiler, we could just replace everything (except csc.exe) and it would work with the latest Roslyn from nuget. So, we could update the compiler with a simple nuget.exe install Microsoft.Net.Compilers

Thanks for keeping us posted!

23. jGate99

jGate99

I personally understand the 2.1 limitation, however having C# 8 support will be quite great as it will improve quality of life.

Jorhoto likes this.
  24. sebas77

sebas77

Fast Span only would be good enough for me.

goncalo-vasconcelos and sirxeno like this.
  25. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Indeed C# 8 is separate from .NET Standard 2.1. The main difficulty with C# 8 is that it comes with new requirements for the runtime, namely default interface implementations. But it is possible to move Unity to C# 8 without a breaking change to the ecosystem.

I think the biggest hurdle here is the C# 8 runtime requirements I mentioned just above. But when we get those implemented in the runtimes properly, this might be something that will work.

MegamaDev, Awarisu, Tanner555 and 6 others like this.
  26. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

Honestly I would be more excited if Unity moved from mono to .NET 5

27. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

Whoops, you're right :eek:. Updated my answer immediately.

28. WeirdBeardDev

WeirdBeardDev

C# 8 brings simplified null checks, no more
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (x is null)
    2. {
    3.   x = expression;
    4. }
    instead
    Code (CSharp):
    1. x ??= expression;

Thimo_, Rallix, Mehrdad995 and 2 others like this.
  29. TextusGames

TextusGames

That is good news.
    But will it comes with significant decrease of script compilation times?

30. Qbit86

Qbit86

31. stonstad

stonstad

Span<T> support turns out to be pretty important for compat reasons. As the .NET ecosystem shifts to .NET Core for everything this increases library dependencies on Span<T>. For example, System.Text.Json is the standard platform serializer for .NET Core. It won't run on Unity because it has a dependency on Span<T>.

32. Awarisu

Awarisu

MNNoxMortem, Peter77 and JesOb like this.
  33. stonstad

stonstad

@Lorash That's a good point. It's a widening fork that gets worse with time. ...Fast forward three years to the moment Unity announces an initiative to adopt .NET Core to address developer pain.

In Unity's defense, it's truly hard to live on the bleeding edge, especially when that edge is sharp and owned by someone else (Microsoft). Know of any MS tech cancelled unceremoniously? When the change to .NET Core does happen it will be a strategically safe bet for Unity.

koblavi likes this.
  34. Awarisu

Awarisu

Technically .NET is owned by the Foundation. Unity is a member of the Technical Steering Group so they have a reasonable amount of input to the future of .NET, I'd say it's very likely that their needs will be considered in future development - unlike the past situation where Mono was not owned by them at all, even partially, and .NET Framework was an entirely separate product.

JesOb and goncalo-vasconcelos like this.
  35. runner78

runner78

Unity use a fork of the Mono runtime, this version is probably heavily personalized and deeply integrated in the core and make it difficult to replace.

36. optimise

optimise

After .NET 5 integrated into Unity, will it solve reload whole domain issue i.e. reload all the dlls including all the packages dll inside your project? I hope after this .NET 5 integrated, at least I just change one line of code it won't domain reload all the packages dll.

JesOb and kvfreedom like this.
  37. Awarisu

Awarisu

I wouldn't hope too much, on .NET Core you're limited to exactly one AppDomain and you can't unload it. We'll have to see how .NET 5 integrates Core and Framework, but I have a feeling it will lean towards Core of these two because that's the more modern one that runs on more platforms. Some kind of hot reload functionality like Unreal does could work better (although that one comes with its own heap of problems) and Unity has done the first steps with the new play mode options.

38. Ramobo

Ramobo

See AssemblyLoadContext. Also understand it, that's important too. Read this wonderful post as well. Additionally, CoreRT could eventually throw IL2CPP out the window. Why can't they just pause everything and move to .NET Core ASAP? That ought to make the .NET 5 update much less painful too. Oh, right, useless S*** like eye candy demos and visual scripting. F*** the actual programmers and editor performance, right? I wonder why Unity for AAA isn't really a well-established thing.

39. Awarisu

Awarisu

I'm all for having Unity run on CoreRT, but at the same time I don't think it will immediately solve the domain reload issue when your code changes. For that they need to do separate work on the way things are serialized currently. To be very clear I'm not against this at all.

Practically speaking my money is on when .NET 5 gets added into Unity it will be mostly as a direct Mono replacement (one of 5's stated goals is to be a viable drop-in Mono replacement), which will obviously come with immediate benefits such as the generational and compacting GC (that Unity is preparing for already) and better codegen.

40. Ramobo

Ramobo

Hmm... To be fair, I'm starting to question my understanding of domain reload and how `AssemblyLoadContext` would solve it... In any case, there's still the performance benefits of .NET Core. Even if that alone doesn't solve domain reload (it won't), it should still speed it up a fair bit.

From what I understand, they will have you choose which runtime to use instead of just merging all of them.

Awarisu likes this.
  41. Jorhoto

Jorhoto

Any update on c#8 availability? Maybe in beta-preview version?

Thanks ;)

MilenaRocha and Qbit86 like this.
  42. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

We don't have any update at the moment, sorry!

43. Jorhoto

Jorhoto

I am starting a new Unity project and it is going to be based on DOTS.

From my researchs, DOTS are all about using structs instead of classes, however, structs cannot inherit from classes or even from other structs, so they are limited to interfaces. Without default interface implementation (available after c#8) I can see a big mess and multiple repetitions of code.

Having this feature seems to me obvious for a proper DOTS implementation, but maybe I'm wrong and there is a workaround.

Thanks!

44. Qbit86

Qbit86

Not so obvious for me. Are you going to access instances of your value types via references to the interfaces? Then you'll end up with a lot of allocations for boxed objects scattered throughout the managed heap — avoiding of which is the main (the only?) point of DOTS.

45. runner78

runner78

If you need a lot of inheritance, you think too much of OOP.
    As exemple, if you have some component data that must have the same base date, do not inherit from a base, but split the shared properties to an separate component.

Default interface implementation work only for methods and you can use extensions on interfaces to share functionality.

46. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

I'm looking forward to C#8 for a few reasons (like using declarations and static local functions).
    But, the most important thing for me is for us to have choice. Remember when we were stuck with obsolete compilers (and runtimes) and had to resort to all sorts of hackery? I don't want to have us moving in that direction ever again.

The current compiler is nice, but much nicer would it be for us to be able to use nuget to install Microsoft.Net.Compilers and we would have the latest compiler around.

I'm hopeful because Unity devs already replied to this thread positively and it seems the reason C#8 isn't here yet is due to runtime changes.

Happy to see more developers voicing their opinion here. Let's hope this can be used by the many dedicated Unity devs to justify getting extra resources to bring this feature to life.

Jorhoto and JesOb like this.
  47. stonstad

stonstad

Not going to start a debate, but I like OOP and it works for me. I hear the siren song of Unreal Engine calling for me...

48. runner78

runner78

I start the debate, an i would argue pure DOTS can be faster then Unreal with C++/OOP, but it's too early to compare them. :D

DOTS: Data-Oriented
    OOP: Object-Oriented

These are two different program designs, force one into the other is not a good idea.
    But i think, you can mix OOP and DOTS in a project depending on the task. The systems in ECS see for me like OOP.

sand_lantern likes this.
  49. Awarisu

Awarisu

.NET is very serious about backwards and forwards compatibility, way back to .NET 1.0. You can use a newer version of C# with an older runtime, you'll just miss out on certain features. For instance in a project that I worked on we were stuck on Framework 4.0 for a long time but that didn't stop us from upgrading to C# 5 and then 6, just with the knowledge that, e.g.,
    await
    would not work.

50. Awarisu

Awarisu

Never forget the first rule of optimization: don't do it.