Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Bug/Issue - Joystick buttons default to false

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by danieldownes, Mar 17, 2015.

1. danieldownes

danieldownes

In a Unity game build, the Unity game always defaults joystick buttons to false, and I suspect doesn't attempt to read in the state on load.

This is a problem if say the controller is upside-down when a game is started.

Even worse, some buttons on joysticks are bound to toggle switches. In such cases, we have to toggle the switch off then on again before a Unity game can correctly see the switches state.

Is there a workaround?

Tested in both Unity 4.6 and Unity 5 on Windows 7/8/XP.

2. danieldownes

danieldownes

I am considering exploring a work around, by attaching a custom DLL which is configured to read RawInput WinAPI functions. Another option would involve routing the joystick button states via websockets. Again not ideal as software firewalls could get in the way.

Ideally this really needs looking at within Unity.

Anyone have any more ideas?

Thank you.

3. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Have you submitted a bug, I had a similar issue with a 360 pad yesterday.

4. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Rewired - in the asset store already has native input on Windows already (it supports raw input and direct input) so it should handle just about everything controller wise on Windows. It also gets around the 20 button Unity limit so you can use flight simulation controllers. My main interest is flight simulation so it is the only solution that I can use to support all of the features of flight simulation controllers (30+ buttons for many of them).

You can get a free trial and see if that works for you.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/21676

guavaman likes this.
  5. guavaman

guavaman

Having worked with many (many) joysticks in Raw Input while developing Rewired, I can say this is not a common issue, but it may not be related to a bug in Unity depending on the device or scenario. It could be related to how the device communicates. Most devices send data continually and will always return current data to Raw Input. But some devices do not send any button/axis states until an axis or button is activated/deactivated. These devices show the issue you describe. One example would be some of the flight simulator equipment which may have a 3-state mode knob. On a few of them, the button states that should be returned by that knob are all blank until that knob is turned to a new position for the first time after connecting the device to the system. Other devices, it may only require pressing any button or axis on the device to get it to register the initial state. I have also seen this on toggles on one flight device. As far as I am aware, there is no workaround possible for these devices.

What devices are you having trouble with?

I've never seen this issue on the 360 pad. If you're seeing this issue on many devices or common gamepads, etc. then it's probably a bug that could be fixed.

The case with the pad being upside down would indicate a bug. None of the devices I've tested show this behavior.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  6. danieldownes

danieldownes

Thank you for your replies people.

I tried Rewired, and this solved the problem.

However the Unity in bug remains, and I can now validate this claim with the following project:
    https://bitbucket.org/danieldownes/unitybuttonproblem

I tested it on a Xbox 360 controller & my own custom controller, with both the same results. Unity's input shows 'false' as expected, and RawInput shows 'true', if for example you hold 'x' on Xbox 360 controller before running the project (from the editor or from the compiled binary).

If you test with a different controller, then you probably need to add the mapping in Rewired's settings.

And yes I submitted a bug with reference to this post.

7. guavaman

guavaman

Awesome! I'm glad that solves the problem.

Then it's likely due to the fact that Unity clears the input buffer on start or when you click out and back into the main game window. This is an even bigger issue on OSX than Windows and causes a lot of problems with triggers and hats.

If you make your joystick map in the Dual Analog Gamepad Template instead of the Xbox 360 controller directly it will work for the 30+ gamepads Rewired recognizes.