Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Bricks Computer on Play

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by alexisrabadan, Mar 21, 2018.

1. alexisrabadan

alexisrabadan

So this has happened half a dozen times, I hit play in the editor and after a few seconds of gameplay my laptop (lenovo yoga y900) freezes.

The system completely stops responding, even the power/reset button doesn't work. If audio was playing, it sits in a terrible ugly loop. All I can do is wait for the battery to run out and turn it back on.

I cant file a bug report since there is no way to extract information from the problem. Could be Unity, my own code, windows 10, or hardware. I have no idea. It only ever happens while the unity editor is running though. Has this happened to anybody else? If so that might prove it's a Unity issue.

2. Moonjump

Moonjump

It has happened to me because I had an infinite loop error in my code and so Unity could not finish the frame. Luckily I use a Mac so can select a different app to free up the computer and then Force Quit Unity.

3. tsibiski

tsibiski

This has happened to me before, but ONLY on my Windows 10 machine (versus multiple Macs).

Try selecting your primary scene in your Project editor. If you see (changes have been made, overwrite?), select yes, to overwrite. If this occurs, doing this should fix your issue. However, you may need to do this every time before you press play.

It was annoying for me. The reason why I only worked in Unity on my Mac's (and I am not a fan of Mac's iOS).

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You should report a bug. Unity staff will test it. Use bug reporter tool built into unity.

5. alexisrabadan

alexisrabadan

@hippocoder The only thing is this happens maybe once per month, and I don't expect the Unity QA team to play around with my project for that long. It wouldn't be so bad on a desktop since I can just switch the power off, but on my laptop, there is no way to cut the power. I lose about 4-6 hours of time depending on the battery level when it happened :(

6. alexisrabadan

alexisrabadan

@moonjump That's what I thought might happen, but Unity normally just freezes itself when an infinite loop occurs. perhaps a threadlock is occurring somewhere? But I've never experienced this and don't know how the system would handle it

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This sound like laptop overheating (or a gpu driver bug, so update those gpu drivers) if I'm honest. Unity will actually stress a computer pretty much more than any other app on your hard drive.

Failing that try updating Unity? if you don't want to use the latest version there are usually patches for your version.