Search Unity

Unity beta 5.4.0f2 "OpenVR failed initialization "

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by LasseRB, Jul 22, 2016.

1. LasseRB

LasseRB

Hi there!

I get this error message every time I open Unity with Virtual Reality enabled
    I'm using Unity beta 5.4.0f2 (Unity Free)

I works with a DK2 and Oculus enabled, but not with a Vive and OpenVR.
    I saw this post on the steampowered forums about restarting SteamVR, but the problem persist anyhow.
    Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Lasse

hermione940912 likes this.
  2. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

Some ideas:

Does this happen in a new, empty project?

If you have SteamVR from the asset store in your project, maybe it is out of date?

Given the error, another thing I would try is uninstalling steamvr in steam and reinstalling it (or making sure it's up to date).

3. LasseRB

LasseRB

Thanks for the reply! Yes it happens even in an empty project. It happens if the Virtual Reality function is enabled. I just tried reinstalling SteamVR but the problem persists. :( Its not a huge problem for me since I mostly rely on a Oculus DK2 to work, but I'm sure some other people will run into the issue as well.

4. shftd

shftd

Hi,
    I have exactly the same error after having deleted the SteamVR folder (idk if had the error even with it). Any clues to make this message disappear ? I only wanted to uninstall the SteamVR asset..

Editor Log:
    Compositor failed to initialize.Compositor failed to initialize.VR: OpenVR Error! OpenVR failed initialization with error code VRInitError_Init_PathRegistryNotFound: "Installation path could not be located (110)"!
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/VR/openvr/OpenVR.cpp Line: 293)

5. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

This error is coming from the SteamVR / OpenVR libraries directly, it might be most efficient to ask on the SteamVR forum. I'll point Valve at this thread as well.

TobiasJansing likes this.
  6. aleiby

aleiby

The path registry gets set up the first time you launch SteamVR. A) Make sure you have installed SteamVR through Steam and launched it at least once from there. B) If you have since moved where SteamVR gets installed, if you manually launch it again via Steam the registry should get updated to point to the new location. C) If all else fails, you can manually reset the path registry by browsing to where you've installed SteamVR and running bin/win32/vrpathreg.exe sethere

7. aleiby

aleiby

8. LasseRB

LasseRB

Hey aleiby!
    I was unable to locate the vrpathreg.exe. IÍt should be in the steam folder, yes?

I tried replacing the .dll but with no luck.

9. Curious-Developer

Curious-Developer

This is a separate issue but somewhat related. 5.4.0f3, OpenVR Missing from Build?
    OpenVR isn't even in the list, but it shows this when I import steamVR.
    Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 10.20.00 AM.png

RangerChris2 likes this.
  10. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

Looks like this is an issue on mac, we're backporting a fix that will be shipped in one of the first 5.4 patch releases.

11. Ikaro88

Ikaro88

everyone have solved the problem?
    i have the same problem:
    VR: OpenVR Error! OpenVR failed initialization with error code VRInitError_Init_PathRegistryNotFound: "Installation path could not be located (110)"!

everyone can help me?
    (i work on windows not on mac)

12. zhuxiaoliang

zhuxiaoliang

hello,
    have solved the problem? thank you !!! i have the same problem !

13. syedhassan

syedhassan

Hello all.I am just a beginner.I have a question please answer me.How can I add openVR SDK in unity.

14. HamFar

HamFar

Has anyone yet resolved this issue?

XR: OpenVR Error! OpenVR failed initialization with error code VRInitError_Init_PathRegistryNotFound: "Installation path could not be located (110)"!

rlsmall likes this.
  15. Kylepespinoza

Kylepespinoza

Just figured out how to get rid of this pesky error. In my case I just had to add the Mock HMD - Vive SDK to the SDK list

16. HamFar

HamFar

Where do I find the SDK list? I have a new empty project with the [CameraRig] prefab dragged and dropped in the scene to replace the default MainCamera.

17. Kylepespinoza

Kylepespinoza

It's located within the Player Settings, under XR Settings.

Deleted User likes this.
  18. rlsmall

rlsmall

Ok I am getting this error in 2017.4.1f1 I am trying to build some Oculus OVR SDK project. Here is the thing if I turn on all the logging, and I look at the info warn and error it seems Unity tried to turn on VR SDk Oculus first, which failed. Then it tried to enable cardboard as a back up, unfortunately cardboard is not supported in Editor Mode. So then it tried to run openVR, which also failed because of the Installation path could not be located thing.
    Unity v2017.4.1f1, Oculus Utilities v1.25.1, OVRPlugin v1.25.0, SDK v0.0.0.
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    OVRManager:Awake() (at Assets/Oculus/VR/Scripts/OVRManager.cs:904)

So now I tried re install of OVR Plugin from the Asset Store.

I will post the results.

19. rlsmall

rlsmall

Ok update - so I had to restore from back up. Something in the OVR import breaks this with my version 2017.4.1. Likely Oculus will ask that I upgrade to the latest Unity version and then see if everything plays nice together.

sachintech1409 likes this.
  20. mezeeshan

mezeeshan

I have same problem but using Oculus "VR: OpenVR Error! OpenVR failed initialization with error code VRInitError_Init_PathRegistryNotFound: "Installation path could not be located (110)"!" I don't know how to solve it

21. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

anybody figure this out, i have the same problem today Sept 2018

22. AveMe476

AveMe476

Vuforia Unity 2018 f1 i have the same problem today

23. areejyahya

areejyahya

I have the same problem, any solution????

24. Keyserjaya99

Keyserjaya99

The problem: "VR: OpenVR Error! OpenVR failed initialization with error code VRInitError_Init_PathRegistryNotFound: "Installation path could not be located (110)"!"

Was solved for me! after importing "VR Sample" On unity assetstore

Jeongwooyoung and sachintech1409 like this.
  25. DADA_universe

DADA_universe

In case this is the issue with someone else. It's necessary to install Steam and then install SteamVR through Steam and then download the SteamVR plugin from the asset store. It says so in the asset's descriptions but it's easy to miss.

26. sachintech1409

sachintech1409

Does anyone find solution for the same above error
    Error: XR: OpenVR Error! OpenVR failed initialization with error code VRInitError_Init_PathRegistryNotFound: "Installation path could not be located (110)"!

I am using Unity 2017.4.11f1.
    I have taken complete new project, and imported only "OculusUtilities" and "OculusSamplerFramework".
    I have dragged only "OVRCameraRig" prefab into Hierarchy window.

any solution????

27. sachintech1409

sachintech1409

It works for me thanks Keyserjaya99.

28. rlsmall

rlsmall

Ok so I have been hunting this down for a while now. It seems that the solution is to add the None Virtual Reality SDK. Then rebuild and it should work.

29. HeyBishop

HeyBishop

I don't know why... but this solution worked for me too.

I'd been working on a project for ages. Never did any updates. Then, one day, the error appeared. I don't understand what caused it, but adding "None" fixed it.

30. Niar_employee

Niar_employee

It is necessary to have steam open when you launch the build. Also as stated from another thread:

"It's necessary to install Steam and then install SteamVR through Steam and then download the SteamVR plugin from the asset store. It says so in the asset's descriptions but it's easy to miss."

That and having "none" and "Mock HMD" on the SDK box in XR settings
    (located in file - build settings - player settings - XR settings - Virtual Reality SDKs)

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

When I enable the main camera, I don't get the error. So it might be about the camera removal.

32. Chinna501

Chinna501

I'm getting this error "Virtual Reality SDK Oculus failed to initialize. Will attempt to enable None instead. " and I am not able to find "VR SAMPLES" in asset store what is the exact name