Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MapMagic 2 - infinite procedural land generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Apr 24, 2020.

1. mick129

mick129

Hello,

I'm trying Brush for the first time and for some reason the trees (objects) never spawn on the right place.

I'm testing with the original ForestObjects preset but with "level" disabled. I don't think the level should affect the placement so I was wondering if it is the preset that is wrong or a bug?

Edit: after a few testing it work only if the terrain's position is 0.0.0. So my guess is that when I click to add GameObjects, it add the world position but starting to the terrain current's position

upload_2022-3-4_11-13-3.png

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  2. Wright

Wright

On generating each tile (513 by default) MM takes additional 16 pixels (changed in tile settings) on each of the tile edges. The offsets called margins. They are used for all tile calculations, but are not applied to actual terrains. Calculation results of most generators are weird on the edges, but at margin offset from the edge they are mostly the same for neighbor tiles.

TileMargins.jpg
    Highlighted areas are the ones that are actually applied. This is the way generated data actually looks.

TileMargins2.jpg
    And this is how tiles are stacked together.

WebGL implies very strict limitations on memory amount that could be used. As far as I remember it could be increased, but not too much. Try disabling drafts (they don't make sense without multithreading anyways), limit generate range to one tile only, and lower the resolution and nodes count as much as possible.

Yes, I've fixed this issue recently.

I'm going to perform merging all changes to stable branch from "cluster" one this weekend, and submit all of the fixes made in 2.1.9 - it's already been a while. Then go on doing cluster support for 2.2.0 without a haste.

Swyfft and mick129 like this.
  3. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

How can I create multiple VS Pro maps from map magic? When I use multiple nodes, the "Package" and "Group" elements are linked together and ALL change when I change one of them. I have different biomes, but I can only generate a single map.
    upload_2022-3-7_23-49-36.png

4. dwilhelmdw

dwilhelmdw

From what I can tell from other post it looks like MapMagic 2 does not support navmesh generation, which is a shame. I was going to start writing a little code to do its best at figuring a path that would not be able to navigate out of anything complex but it could move around. The other options would be to add the navmesh generation when the mesh is generated like Sebastian Lague did in his videos but that does not take objects into account.

What have other used to solve this problem (I am still a little new at Unity)? Is there a preferred technique besides navmesh that is good enough of outdoor content?

5. Wright

Wright

Why? You can still create navmesh on terrains generated with MapMagic standard Unity ways. Just keep in mind that navmesh is generated on static objects only, and MapMagic is not marked static by default. You can mark separate terrains or whole MM object (with children) as Static or Navigation Static (standard game object inspector).

Package is a global variable applied to all outputs - you can have only one package per MM object.
    However you can choose Group in each of the outputs. It seems to be working. Do you have Group selection changing in one output when you change it in the other?

6. CornerCase_Studio

CornerCase_Studio

I am trying to hit the same configuration for a different purpose. I would like to design my map in MapMagic2, then convert the MM tiles to mesh terrains using Microsplat's Mesh workflow module (which requires the Microsplat component to be on the terrain), and use WorldStreamer2 to stream the map. Splatmaps are required for a few features I'm using, such as terrain blending.

However I, too am getting this "Terrain doesn't have splat map textures", as well as the same threading error when I enable the "Splat" or "Both" output types in MapMagic's Microsplat node (or in the main MM component) - and I've set everything up properly as far as I can tell. (enabled custom splats on the Microsplat material and in MapMagic, and "Set Component" as well). This configuration right now seems to be nothing but trouble. Hopefully Denis gets it sorted for the 2.2 release.

As a side note Denis, thank you for all the effort you put into these products. I own all the MM2 modules and am really looking forward to the Splines module when it gets more fleshed out. I know product support can be frustrating, and I just want you to know that I see the time you put in and appreciate it.

I'll wait patiently for these issues to get resolved. There's plenty of other things for me to be working on in the meantime. Ciao :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  7. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

In Vegetation Studio Pro there is the possibility to create several biome packages. This is definitely necessary for large terrains, you don't want to mix up all the assets for the desert with the assets for the grassland (and so on). The grouping works, but only for the respective biome, the biome texture masks are linked to the biome, if you create 2 texture masks for the "Grassland" biome, this is possible, but the mask can only be used by the "Grassland" biome.
    If you create a texture mask for "Grassland" and another one for "Desert" it is not possible to select this group, which is quite problematic, can you please update the VS Pro Maps Output node to that effect? Otherwise, it is impossible to control a complex terrain via texture masks without packing ALL objects into a single biome.

8. Wright

Wright

Does the same occurs with MicroSplat demo scene (MapMagic/Demo/Compatibility)? If not could you please email me your scene and graph?

Unfortunately I can't guarantee MM working with all the other assets features. It makes MM vast and unreliable - the chance that MM won't work completely on 3rd party asset change is increasing extensively with each new feature support added. Most of the issues reported are already related to compatibility. Currently I don't have plans to support different VS packages. Probably I will look into it again and change my mind, but I can't guarantee anything.

CornerCase_Studio likes this.
  9. ycwweng

ycwweng

Good afternoon and thank you for making such a great terrain generation tool! I'm using this asset in my own project to dynamically generate terrains at runtime, and it's amazing.

However, I'm experiencing a strange issue that I'd like to request help with. While I've been able to solve all other issues I've encountered, I've hit a wall on this one.

I originally started my project with Unity 2019.4.1f1 and recently rebuilt (not directly upgraded) my project for Unity 2020.3.30f1 because of the 4 GB asset limit per scene in versions before 2020.1.

In Unity 2019.4.1f1, terrain grass showed up fine in the editor and in a standalone build. In Unity 2020.3.30f1, terrain grass only shows up in the editor. When I create a standalone build, the grass shows up as white rectangles.

While searching if anyone else had this problem, I came across a post where another forum user had this exact same problem, but they were using HDRP. I am aware that HDRP currently does not support terrain details in 2020 Unity versions, but I'm using URP, and terrain details are in fact supported in URP for 2020 Unity versions.

To my understanding, Mapmagic 2 just generates standard Unity terrains. Terrain grass shows up fine in a standalone build for my project if it was a terrain I created manually, but shows up as white rectangles if I generate one using Mapmagic. Do you or anyone else have any tips on what could be causing this? My guess is that it's a shader issue, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

10. CornerCase_Studio

CornerCase_Studio

I've packed up a test scene for you which is displaying the problem. It's currently uploading to Google Drive. By the time you see this, you should have it in your email.

Thanks for any insight you can provide :)

11. Apposl

Apposl

Does the Map Magic 2 bundle come with demo/starter graphs for various terrain types? Modifying the SimpleGraph or creating my own is still way beyond my intelligence. I love what I see being done but I'm completely incapable. Mostly wanting a nice large grassland, desert, or badlands area, but me making the SimpleGraph into that is lol.

12. CornerCase_Studio

CornerCase_Studio

I don't think more than the simple graph is included. You should check out Denis' Youtube channel and tutorials. There are several videos that cover creating graphs from scratch and show the functionality of the nodes.

Here is a link to his MapMagic tutorials playlist.

13. Apposl

Apposl

Yeah... Appreciated. And watched. The nodes are just completely obscure to me, I don't get it. Oh well - thank you!

14. Wright

Wright

If you are talking about Bundle it has several more or less simple graphs for other terrains - they are part of Biomes module. It has Badlands, Dunes, Grasslands and Iceplains:
    AllBiomes.jpg

Have you tried updating MM from the Asset Store/Package Manager after upgrading your project? The thing is that Unity might making some script changes to make assets compatible with current version, and I really recommend update all the assets after the project upgrade.

15. Wright

Wright

MM 2.1.9 is available at the Asset Store.
    It mainly introduces bug fixes (major features are planed for 2.2.0):
    - Erosion welding in playmode fix
    - Objects nodes Adjust, Flatten and Spread values made exposable
    - Split node same random ID fix (made object output multi-prefab not working)
    - Brush placed object at zero when terrain has offset - fixed
    - Whittaker Intensity value didn't work - fixed
    - MicroSplat output error report fix

CornerCase_Studio and mick129 like this.
  16. mick129

mick129

Thanks for the update, now I can build the tools for my team :)

Found another bug tho :(

I have modified the forest - object graph to spawn monster on the map but if I hit CTRL + Z, it crash Unity everytime.

17. mick129

mick129

Me again :)

I don't know if I am missing something but my goal is to create a brush tool that will place enemy spawners, tree spawners, rock spawners etc for an MMO.

I have my ruleset made to make sure it only place them in the playable area (height and slope rules) and I make sure they don't overlap. But for some reason, only the first part of the graph happen, any idea of what could be wrong?

Solved, I used the regular "Object" output instead of the brush "Object". Everything is working fine :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  18. JDrem1

JDrem1

In a brand new project, with only MM 2 bundle, (all modules) installed.
    Unity 2020.3.3 URP

Getting this.

Shader error in 'MapMagic/TerrainPreviewHDRP': Couldn't open include file 'Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/Material/TerrainLit/TerrainLit_Splatmap_Includes.hlsl'. at line 98

Any help, appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  19. Wright

Wright

Just to clarify: is it crashing when you apply this brush and then perform an undo? Could you please email me the graph, the scene where it applied, and terrain data (if it a separate file)?

Is it an error or warning? Can you use MapMagic, and, more important, is preview working? There is a separate shader, TerrainPreviewURP, and theoretically it should work in URP pipepile instead, but I guess you wouldn't ask for help if everything worked.

20. Roan-Albers

Roan-Albers

Hi Denis,

Our graphs seem to be very slow to work with at the moment, I did some stress testing and it seems that it's because we have a lot of exposed values. Is this something you have experienced as well or should I do some further research? There's 108 nodes in one of the graphs, not sure if that's a ridiculous amount but I don't believe so. Also the zoomed out view definitely speeds up performance as well.

Just to clarify it's not the generation speed but the actual navigation and node creation within the graph.

21. marvelescent_unity

marvelescent_unity

Any work around for getting grass in hdrp? terrain tools has never worked for me, and I was hoping not to manually place.

22. Wright

Wright

For all Mac users:
    Currently there's an issue with 2.1.9: bundle files were not included in a package. Don't know why. I have re-submitted them today - it will take some time for Unity to review. As a quick fix you can unzip this to MapMagic/Tools/Plugins: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvylb0txi2p73wj/NativePlugins.bundle.zip?dl=0
    Sorry about it.

I have stress-tested graph with 1000 nodes at 30 FPS. There might be something specific about your graph. Could you please email it me (only the graph file)?

As far as I know Unity has done something about HDRP grass in latest version - it's not straightforward implementation like in standard mode, but seem to be good workaround. I have not looked into it yet, but going to do so to 2.2.0 release.

23. ycwweng

ycwweng

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I have tried updating Mapmagic after upgrading my project, and still same result.

I went ahead and used GPU Instancer to render my grass to see if it was a shader issue, and the grass shows up fine both in the editor and the build with GPU Instancer, confirming it's a shader issue. Without GPU Instancer, grass on Mapmagic terrains only shows up properly in the editor. In a standalone build, it shows up as white rectangles.

Does Mapmagic use a custom terrain detail shader?

24. ycwweng

ycwweng

Ok so I finally fixed my issue. I followed some suggestions provided by another individual with the same problem, although they were not using MapMagic: https://answers.unity.com/questions/1769019/urp-terrain-details-appear-with-no-texture.html

This got me thinking though and I studied the inner workings of MapMagic to implement a similar fix specifically for this asset. To fix my white rectangle grass issue, I had to do the following:
    1. Create a new, empty terrain
    2. Make sure all textures used for terrain details have "Read/Write Enabled" checked under the advanced import settings
    3. Make sure the MapMagicObject material template was set to TerrainLit, located at Packages >> UniversalRP >> Runtime >> Materials >> TerrainLit
    4. Modify MapMagicObject.cs, MapMagicInspector.cs, and TerrainTile.cs to inject the empty terrain's properties into created TerrainTiles.

For #4, I specifically added a public Terrain object to MapMagicObject.cs and called it referenceTerrainData. I then added this code to MapMagicInspector.cs above the comment //graph:

//reference terrain
    using (Cell.LinePx(20))
    {
    using (Cell.RowPx(50)) Draw.Label("Reference Terrain Data");
    using (Cell.Row)
    {
    Draw.ObjectField(ref mapMagic.referenceTerrainData);
    }
    }

I then modified line 413 of TerrainTile.cs, changing it from TerrainData terrainData = new TerrainData(); to TerrainData terrainData = mapMagic.referenceTerrainData;

I think between the 2019 and 2020 Unity editor versions, something must've changed with how new terrain data has to be created. Creating new terrain data by calling new TerrainData() seems to screw something up, but using the editor to create a new terrain and modifying that terrain's data allows terrain details to show up properly in a standalone build.

I hope this helps anyone else with this issue! It took me a week to solve this.

25. Wright

Wright

Thank you for these instructions! I will add it to FAQ and will include code changes for the next version

ycwweng likes this.
  26. VictorKs

VictorKs

How can I use Map Magic 2 with 4096 resolution?? I have edited the code at MapMagicObject and added 4097 option but will that work ok??

27. JDrem1

JDrem1

Hi Dennis.

Please forgive me taking this long to reply.

I have no idea how, but the issue seems to have resolved itself.
    I am not getting the red warning now.

But I thank you for the response. It was very much appreciated. :)

28. Watanka

Watanka

Hi, I have this exact same problem.

Created my map, added two locks.
    Later I changed some parameters on my map, including grass density and also changed the grass prefab used.
    Now everytime (not random, everytime) I try to regenerate the map, there are several errors in LocksDatas/GrassData.cs and the map isn't generated at all.

Denis, you suggested to disable the multithreading. Tried that, it does not resolve the issue sadly.
    Tcz8, you haven't posted about this issue again, did you found the solution ?

Thank you !

Here are the errors I get :

29. VictorKs

VictorKs

Can you expand the expose system to use trigonometry like atan2?? This can be very useful for spawning objects with the brush. That way we could find the direction between prevPosition and Position and rotate objects to face in a certain direction.

30. Watanka

Watanka

I'm back with my issue with locks and grass crash.
    After (quick) investigation, it seems that under some circomstances the saved lock is not properly updated when a grass change is made after the lock creation.
    I've made a quite nasty workaround to get the generation working again :

In the file Locks/LockDatas/GrassData.cs, in the Stamp function the "stamp" and "arr" parameters can be null.
    So I skip the grass lock in that case.

Code (CSharp):
    1. if(stamp == null || arr == null)
    2.    return;
    Consequence, a detail layer is missing when applied at the end of the generation.
    So in Generators/Matrix/Runtime/GrassOut.cs, in ApplyData function. There is a For loop that set the details.
    I added :

Code (CSharp):
    1. if(detailLayers[i] == null)
    2.    continue;
    Now the generation is working again. I just have to clean some grass manually in my lock after each generation, not a big deal.
    It's a dirty fix, I know. The question is where is the source of the grass data problem. I leave this for later :D
    Hope it helps.

31. Wright

Wright

I missed that at some version Unity has added 4097 heightmap support. Adding for to-do list for next version.

I see your point. I guess it would require other things, like degrees to radians (or vice versa) functions. Adding this to my to-do list as well, no promises, but will see what I can do.

This is how the lock works: it reads terrain maps (including the grass/detail int masks) in locked areas before generate starts; and writes these maps back to generated results after, before applying to terrain. If something will change at some point it won't be able to write back that result.

Were you changing density and prefab through MapMagic, or on terrain tile directly?

32. VictorKs

VictorKs

If it takes too much time to do that, you could create a spline node to generate objects on the spline with a distance offset and they would follow the spline direction. (Or maybe break it into 2 nodes: 1st to generate objects and 2nd to follow spline direction). So that way Map Magic would become a very good tool to build fences, walls and buildings next to road. Anyway thanks for your time!

AndersonMarquess likes this.
  33. Sheppard_25

Sheppard_25

Hi, has this been implemented yet? Thank you :)

34. mrpotson92

mrpotson92

I seem to have ran into an issue with the masking the spline module. I am using SimpleGraph Splines demo scene with it's graph. Roads group works fine between tiles by default, however, as soon as I try adding mask, even if it filters nothing, the splines between tiles break.
    Original (Working)
    upload_2022-4-5_18-57-19.png
    upload_2022-4-5_18-57-31.png
    Updated (broken)
    upload_2022-4-5_18-59-4.png
    Result:
    upload_2022-4-5_18-59-22.png

Attached Files:

35. Wright

Wright

It's not that Mask node is working wrong. It's Scatter node is doing more than it's expected.
    The thing is that tiles are generated independently. Each of the tiles is not aware of what objects are at a neighbor tiles, and where should the roads go - unless these objects are within tile margins. So it's not possible to connect the tiles with roads without a hack.
    The scatter node scatters objects that are outside the margin bounds when scatter count is low. This way it's just virtually increase margins - but they are returned back to normal when modified with Mask.
    I know it's a big flaw, and currently I'm working on a system that can fix it, but it will require some time to finish.

Not yet. I'm switching Grass output nodes to layered ones, that will work similarly to the Textures output. I'm going to add this feature in scope of this.

Oh, I see your point. Nice idea! Will add it to ideas list and will try to see what I can do here.

VictorKs likes this.
  36. CornerCase_Studio

CornerCase_Studio

Hi Denis, when I enable "Set Component" in the MapMagic2 Microsplat options, and set the "Apply Type" setting to "Splat" or "Both", all of a sudden the MapMagic graph UI (which I have open on my second screen) lags horribly, to the point of being unusable.

For now, I am just leaving Apply Type set to "Textures", and not applying the Microsplat component to the terrains, just so I can effectively work within the MM2 graph, but I thought I'd let you know about the issue.

37. Wright

Wright

New version, 2.1.10 is available at the Asset Store.

It didn't take too long - this version is mainly fixing critical issues:
    - Drag-n-drop graph to scene fix in Unity 2021.2
    - Native code on Mac fix

And brings some performance improvements Roan-Albers mentioned:
    - Improved non-assigned graph drawing performance in complex scenes
    - MicroSplat texture fetch for icons improved

Do you have any errors spamming in the console?

On second thought it can wait. I've just added a checkbox to 2.1.10. Enjoy :)

38. Sheppard_25

Sheppard_25

Thank you! :)

39. CornerCase_Studio

CornerCase_Studio

No. When I initially enable "Set Component", it tells me that the terrain has no splat maps set, but that goes away when I enable Splat/Both as the Apply Type. Then it has no errors - but the graph lags badly. If I keep it set this way and close the graph window, things work smoothly. It is only when the graph window is open that I have the issue.

40. dwilhelmdw

dwilhelmdw

I was trying MapMagic 2 (2.1.10) on a M1 Mac using Unity for Silicon rev 2021.2.19f1 and was having issues. I am getting an error "Thread failed: System.DIINotFoundException: NativePlugins assembly:«unknown assembly> type:<unknown type> member: (null)" if I turn off generate infinite terrain everything works. Should this work and do I need to set some other option? I seemed to remember a platform setting in MapMagic but I can't seem to find it.

41. unity_dev3194

unity_dev3194

Hello, I have noticed that scene restarts or application quit takes quite a long time when using MapMagic. I spawn thousands of items using MM object node, and I know that the engine iterates through every gameobject in the scene and destroys them before exiting the application. Any tips or thoughts on improving this? Scene restarts also take forever.

42. dwilhelmdw

dwilhelmdw

Ok, I found the solution to my issue on Apple Silicon unity build it looks like I need to turn off C++ Native Code in Window - MapMagic - Settings. I guess there is no C++ built dylib for Apple Silicon?

43. Wright

Wright

I found out that it produces an error in Unity 2021.2, but not in earlier versions. It sets PolyLine mesh to null from time to time (approx 2 times per second). Not sure why, probably this Unity version has some issues with garbage collector. It's a simple mesh, but setting it to null ruins code execution. This fix re-creates mesh on removal. Not sure that it will improve performance, but worth trying.

Are you sure that you are using 2.1.10? Previous version, 2.1.9 had a similar issue, for some reason bundle files were not included in package.

If it's really because of destroying objects I'm afraid I can't improve Unity code performance. The only thing I can recommend is consider using trees (with tree output) instead of objects. Even if they are stones or other meshes - it will make them be processed faster than the regular meshes.

unity_dev3194 likes this.
  44. dwilhelmdw

dwilhelmdw

I upgraded to the latest Apple Silicon version 2021.3.0f1 and I verify that I was using 2.1.10 and I reloaded and created a new project and I still get the same error. What files should I have to make this work? Do I need to set an option to specify which assemble (module, file) to load?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  45. Wright

Wright

That's odd. You can try re-downloading mac bundle from here in case it's not updating the package (extract to MapMagic\Tools\Plugins).

But the main thing - you can build an library for any platform you like since MapMagic comes with all the source code. You can find C++ code in MapMagic\Tools\.NativeSources\NativePlugins (native sources folder name with dot).

46. dwilhelmdw

dwilhelmdw

I tried this with no luck. I did already have the "NativePlugins.blundle" on my system but I replaced it still with no luck.

In my Plugins directory I have: I checked with "ls -al" in the console to show all hidden files
    NativePlugins.bundle
    NativePlugins.dll
    x86 <Directory>
    NativePlugins.bundle.meta
    NativePlugins.dll.meta
    x86.meta

I can't find the .NativeSources directory. I search my full hard drive so I could not find the C++ source.

47. antsonthetree

antsonthetree

Hello - I would like to only show draft tiles. How can I prevent the main tile from rendering and replace it with another draft? Alternately, how can I make the main tile render low res same as the draft tiles? I am working on a small flight sim with a low poly shader. The low poly shader looks good on draft tiles but not on main tile.

EDIT: I think I found it. I went into Tile Settings section and just changed the Main Resolution and Main Margins to the same values in Draft Resolution and Draft Margins. Please let me know if this was the correct way.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  48. Wright

Wright

Will check if the folder is in the package. You can clone or download sources from GitLab as well.
    Just in case: to download use a square button with down arrow and choose "download this folder" ("download source" will get the whole Tools folder from MM).

If you want your terrain tiles be low resolution then yes, setting this resolution in tile settings is the right way. Glad you could sort that out.

antsonthetree likes this.
  49. JGameMaker92

JGameMaker92

31FE70CC-E9B4-48E4-99AA-A051F8279366.jpeg

How do I fix this??

50. Wright

Wright

When does this error occur? Is there any way I can reproduce it?