Search Unity

Unity Awards 2012 Nominations Begin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by henry96, May 16, 2012.

1. henry96

henry96

As time flies, once again, Unity Award Nomination arrives. It's time to submit your work (game or non-game) and see how far it can go and how good it really is in a huge crowd. The nomination begins from May 15th - June 15th.

Last year, it was awesome. There were many cool entries with super great graphic. This is it'll be greater because Unity just evolved to a whole new level. Not to mention that this Unity Award 2012 has even more categories (Best Technical Achievement and Best Serious Game) which we will see more great entries.

Here are this year's categories:

Best Student Project
    Best Technical Achievement (new)
    Best Visual Experience
    Best Gameplay
    Best Serious Game (new)
    Best Non-game
    Community Choice
    Golden Cube (best overall game/project)

More for information, vist http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/unity-awards-open-nominations-begin-1657440.htm

This is a quick note if you have question on whether it is okay to submit your project: "Projects must be released before June 30, 2012 to be eligible with the exception of student submissions which must have been part of the coursework in the 2011-2012 school year."

The cool thing about this is, you don't need to pay anything to submit your game. So, who will join this award and who will bring home these cube prize with these titles?

If you want us to check your work (game / non-game), just simply leave a link in your reply. So excited. Can't wait to see all cool entries!

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  2. pivotraze

pivotraze

If my game was anywhere near done, I would put it in, but since it is still in idea phase with a bit of scripting done, I won't be able to join this year. There is always next year :)

3. henry96

henry96

I'm in similar situation like you. However mine needs a bit of polish. And I will push myself in a month to complete. I think this is what challenge is all about. Push developers like us toward their goal. After all, it is 1 month left. If we keep pushing, 1 month will be enough (if the game is not complex).

4. pivotraze

pivotraze

Mine is pretty complex. Just read/look at it in the WIP forum :) I will push for a month for sure, but I need a demo level done by December :) Or just a concept level, something. :D But anyways, hopefully I get something in by June 15 :D

5. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

error: Game has to have five characters or more.

My game doesnt have more than five characters! Fake title time.

6. henry96

henry96

Good Luck! :)

7. henry96

henry96

@charlieSamWays, really? Oh hey, why don't everyone who join the award post their link to their entries? So that we all can play. Even though we might not win against AAA titles, we might be able to cheer our friends. :)

8. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Not submitting what I was going to. Will be submitting a game I'm working on that's planned to release the end of this month :)

9. henry96

henry96

Great!!!

10. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

I'm going in the non-game category! More infos soon...
    Gigi.

11. Meltdown

Meltdown

i'm definately going to submit my Monster Truck Game :)
    Should be released before June 30 :):)

12. BigB

BigB

And here I go with Gemini Wars, it's out June 8th, right on time :)

13. FusionGames

FusionGames

So...do we have to have a complete, finished game?(ex. a few levels of a space-invaders type game) Or can I submit a few demo levels instead? Also...besides huge bragging rights...are there any other advantages to winning?

14. henry96

henry96

"Projects must be released before June 30, 2012 to be eligible with the exception of student submissions which must have been part of the coursework in the 2011-2012 school year."

Cool!

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  15. pomedas

pomedas

Is there any prize for the winners? like licenses for example? I work in a research institution and we can submit projects for the serious games category.

16. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I promise i will win the student part next year :D

17. henry96

henry96

Good Luck!!! Isn't it better if you take the prize this year? :D

18. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

No because i haven't made a game of a high enough quality :D

19. henry96

henry96

I see!!!

20. Dabeh

Dabeh

Do what art students do. Make something that makes no sense and is so random that it will win.
    Like, a game with just pictures on the wall that look depressed and talk to you with random gibberish.

21. FusionGames

FusionGames

Ahh, well that works just fine for me; I was going to enter as a student project anyway :D I was just wondering if it was okay if I added more later and then released it commercially...thanks for the info :D

22. henry96

henry96

Of course, you can add more later and release it. Your game is definitely belonged to you. Please keep it mind that after you release it commercially, you can even submit that completed game again!!! :D

23. henry96

henry96

Who will release game in time for Unity Award? (I hope I am)

24. smitchell

smitchell

If you win do you get anything out of it other than the awesome satisfaction? :)

25. henry96

henry96

You'll get a cube. :) !!! and your game will get more players.

26. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Argh! Only until June 15th! It'll be a stretch...but I think I can get my student project done in time!

27. MadRobot

MadRobot

"Is it... a billion dollar cube?" Riley, National Treasure

28. MadRobot

MadRobot

Oh, so an emo game?

29. Meltdown

Meltdown

What is Best Serious game??

What makes a game serious?

30. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

"Serious Game" is a term used for games which are intended for training, education, or some primary purpose other than straight up entertainment.

31. henry96

henry96

I wish it were. :)

32. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

"Serious Games" is the use of games for non-entertainment purposes.

What is a 'best serious game'? Here's an example: Damage Control Trainer. It's played by every recruit in the US Navy as part of boot camp and it won 3 national awards including Best Serious Game. We developed it before Unity was available for PC, so we used the Delta3D Open Source game engine. :)

Gigi.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  33. Somedays

Somedays

I'm about to launch Galaxy Ninjas for android so I'll participate! but which category... too bad theres no best mobile game category.

34. Meltdown

Meltdown

Then they would have to create best web game, best console game, best pc game, best mac game category. So they're not really 'categories', they're platforms.

35. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

My game is released, but not yet finished (We're using the open-alpha model)... Would it be a valid entry?

Cheers

36. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Should be. The only stipulation I could see was that it had to be released; so yeah, you should be able to. Don't quote me on it though...

37. henry96

henry96

I believe that as long as it's released, it will be a valid entry.

38. henry96

henry96

Correct me if I'm wrong. When you submit your game, there is a button saying whether your project is Student project or not. So if it isn't, I think Unity will sort it out which category that project/game should be.

39. jackshiels

jackshiels

I thought the deadline was June 30th? I want to enter under a student project but I am homeschooled/self-taught. Does this count?

40. MadRobot

MadRobot

The deadline seems to be June 15th. From my submission entry form:

41. chirpytime

chirpytime

I'm wondering if the deadline means we have to complete all the fields listed in the submission page? I mean, do applicants have to include video and download links before June 15th? For an iOS app that have a later proposed release date (well, it's completed but some last minute tweaks are in progress *wink wink*), can we submit a PC/Mac standalone build with mouse click simulation as a preview? Or, is it possible to add reviewers to access our builds via TestFlight?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  42. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

43. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Hey, nice work Gigi! Really interesting premise...should do well in the awards :)

On another note, I would also love some support from the community. :) I've made a WIP thread as I finish up the work on my project in this last week before the deadline. It'll be getting more detailed as I connect all the pieces and get a WebPlayer version working...so if you all don't mind, check it out please :)

Here's the thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/13...-Shooter-(Entry-for-Unity-Student-Awards-2012)

44. jackshiels

jackshiels

Well this sucks. We won't be finished by the 15th... can a mod please clarify if this is the date? I heard the 30th elsewhere...

45. jukke

jukke

http://awards.unityproposals.com/

"Projects must be released before June 30, 2012 to be eligible with the exception of student submissions which must have been part of the coursework in the 2011-2012 school year."

46. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

The 2012 coursework year doesnt end till september? I know because im doing an app for it so unless you are supposed to finish your coursework months early I dont know how that works.

47. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Maybe they use the different kind of school like in Australia?

48. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Ah yes more than likely, Owh well, Good luck to the entrants (y)

49. henry96

henry96

Games submitted counts only it release before 30 June. But Entry has to be submitted before time end on June 15.

50. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Yup. Here in Canada, the final deadline for assignments (unless you're working into the summer) is also June 15. I'm assuming that's what they based it on.