Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Audio Unity audio library

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by MikeyJY, Oct 13, 2021.

1. MikeyJY

MikeyJY

I know that unity uses DirectX 11 as the main API for graphics in editor for windows users and for apps built for windows and OpenGL for other platforms that doesn't support directx and WebGL for web. What sound library does unity use? The main 3 options are XAudio3D, OpenAL or FMOD. I think the best to use would be OpenAL. Even if xAudio3D is related to DirectX the main graphics API used by unity, it lacks some features. I would choose OpenAL over FMOD because it is open source.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  2. r618

r618

no that's not true, they use native platform gfx APIs where applicable, such as Metal on mac/iOS, Vulkan/OpenGL on 'OpenGLCore' platforms, or each console owners respective native APIs - e.g. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/GraphicsAPIs.html

they use (now somewhat older) customized 1.xx series FMOD for sound /this is not documented anywhere/

3. MikeyJY

MikeyJY

For windows users the editor uses DX11 as it is said on title bar. Without making any modification in player settings, when Auto API is on for all platforms, and I built the app for windows the default is DX11, correct? For MacOS the auto api is OpenGL or Metal? And for linux builds is Vulkan or OpenGL default auto api? I think DX is the most used graphics API in industry since Windows is by far the most used OS on personal computers and all engines like Unity, Unreal, Cryengine export DX11 for windows builds by default.

4. r618

r618

it's not true that 'Unity uses OpenGL for other platforms that doesn't support directx' as I explained above
    if you want to continue writing any opinions do so in general or other more appropriate section of the forums since this is mainly audio and video specific
    Thanx!