Search Unity

Unity Asset Store (Search for Assets) Sucks, Needs Improvement.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cj31387, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaneFox

LaneFox

This is a little silly sometimes. While there is good reason to version-lock, importing it shouldn't be a blanket automatic restriction. Publishers can upload their package with other versions to increase support but that is a real pain too.

However, all you have to do is install the latest Unity version and import your assets to a blank project. Now you have all of the files on the HDD and can easily import them into the other project.

Also, consider making a new thread instead of necro-posting on something ~4 years old.

2. shadowpuppet

shadowpuppet

I don't like how newer versions of Unity seemed to forced upon users. I make games as a hobby and so it can take several months and have been doing so in V4.7. I tried to upgrade but it breaks practically EVERYTHING and since I don't feel like relearning everything I stick with 4.7 and the games I make work fine in standalone or web. My issue is that Asset Store items for older versions are getting phased out and unavailable as you are REQUIRED to have V5.5 +. One example ( see above rant). My most recent example is that for sometime I had my eye on a controller for 3rd person + fly, but when I went to finally get it it had been "upgraded" so no longer can get it for my version. They should at least allow access to previous version packages if they existed at one time.
    LOL!!!! I just read the post above mine from May of 2015 and see it was mine with the same rant

3. shadowpuppet

shadowpuppet

ok laneFox, but "all you have to do is install the latest Unity version and import your assets to a blank project." is not the case because coding lingo has changed and you can't have two versions of Unity so in order to upgrade to access a new asset by having the current version my other projects break as well. I don't see the problem...I mean if you , the creator of the asset, have uploaded it in ...say V4.5 - it is already there, it has been uploaded. updating it to make it compatible for newer versions is great but it is no extra effort to simply upload the new version and leave the older version be. In fact it is more effort to delete the previous version rather than leave it there

4. Wusakko

Wusakko

Why I cant find as simple asset as "Robot" with search? Can you fix this soon? I WANT TO BUY STUFF!!! upload_2017-10-20_15-42-41.png

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

That might be a bug. I literally just searched for "robot" and got 16 pages of results.

6. ZJP

ZJP

21 here.. :p
    11 with "robot" and "category:3D Models"

7. ReptilianAlien

ReptilianAlien

I didn't know little kids made games with unity? Anyways even if they were on the asset store even if it had horrible stuff they shouldn't see. It's not like they can't see worse on anywhere on the internet. You people are so crazy with censorship wanting to keep majority of people from accessing stuff, because ya'll want to leave your kids unsupervised. This seems more like a parenting issue then an Unity issue.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

What's your definition of little? We've had pre-teens on these forums in the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.