Search Unity

Bug Unity asset store open in unity takes too long

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by diwang, Aug 6, 2021.

1. diwang

diwang

I want to import the standard asset to my unity project
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/asset-packs/standard-assets-for-unity-2018-4-32351
    I opened asset store window in unity , but unity says "To improve performance in the Editor, the Asset Store will only exist on the web."
    So i opened the asset store in chrome , then i clicked the "Open in Unity" button , then chrome prompted that the website want to open Unity Editor , and i clicked the button .
    I waited for long time , and nothing happen . Nothing happen inside unity , nothing happen in the asset store website.
    I thought it is already downloaded , so i open my download folder , nothing is there.

So now i realize that the "Open in Unity" button isnt working and there is no file in my download folder for me to manually import it to unity , and now i'm stuck not being able to import the standard asset to my Unity project.

The only viable solution i found is to ask for help on website and hope a random dude solve this problem for me.
    Wtf Unity, why did u do this to me.

To reduce my frustration, i went to bed to take some rest and watch some youtube video while leaving my browser open. When i came back five minute later , a window is opened in the browser :

Can anyone help me please ?!?! how do i solve this problem ?? i just want to freaking download the standard asset.

Edit : it been 20 minute since i click the Open in Unity button and left my browser open , and suddenly the unity reopened with the package manager opened . I'm changing the title from "Open in Unity not working" to "Open in Unity takes too long" . I don't know what happen but 20 minute after i click the open in unity button and left the browser open , unity opened the package manager with the standard asset

I guess unity is downloading the asset in the background without telling me , and so i thought the button didn't work. Unity need to fix this bug asap it is very annoying.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  2. Mauri

Mauri

Forget the Asset Store window in Unity - it became useless since
    . (Same with the Open in Unity button, I'd say). Everything Asset Store related has been relocated into the Package Manager.

Basically, the way it works now:
    • Buy an Asset from the web based Asset Store.
    • Go back to the Unity Editor, hop into the Package Manager and change the "Packages" dropdown from Packages: In Project to Packages: My Assets.
    • Choose the Asset in question from the list and hit the
      Download
      button in the bottom right corner, then
      Import
      afterwards.

Further reading:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021