Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Asset Store commission- apply 25% toward Unity Pro license?

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by yahodahan, Jun 7, 2012.

1. yahodahan

yahodahan

So I'm watching my tool sell fairly well (hooray!) on the Asset Store (thanks Unity for featuring it on the front page!!).

I'm also a little sad watching a full 30% go away- that number grows quickly. It got me thinking- what if we, as sellers, could apply 25% of that commission taken, toward Unity Pro licenses?

I think it would be a great way to encourage even more active selling, and also give back to the devs who are making assets that really add to the power of Unity.

For example, lets say I sell $3000 (gross profit) worth. At 70/30, that means I get $2100, and Unity gets $900. If I could apply 25% of the 900 (about $200) toward a Pro License- that would be great!

Just a thought :)

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Sounds alright, but really nothing in it from Unity's perspective? You're asking them to give you more money.

3. yahodahan

yahodahan

I make a poor salesman, that is all. Here's a better pitch:

Unity is great, but it is AMAZING due to the community that keeps making it better. What they get in return for offering this incentive, is an even more dedicated and energized community- which in turn means more $$$ for Unity, and more features they can boast.

To explain: Without the extensions, tools, add ons, etc, that community members keep making, on their own time&dime, Unity would have much less to offer. Things like Strumpy Shader Editor, Vectrosity, 2D Toolkit, Game Draw, NGUI- these are all absolutely amazing additions that zero other game engine can claim. And all thanks to these awesome folks who created them, with all the risk on themselves.

So, how about giving back a little extra to developers? Encourage more great work by allowing them to purchase Pro licences, at a slight discount. 25% of the 30% cut is only 7 cents per dollar, and they don't actually pay it out as cash lost- it's just a discount on software. We aren't talking actual losses (ie, physical goods).

Bottom line is, this would be a great help to small (read: just me) developers like myself and many others, and (I honestly believe) lead to increased sales and support for Unity, both licenses and Asset Store sales.

4. Khyrid

Khyrid

If I make 2k from the asset store, unity can have their 30% (much smaller than turbo squid and others) and I will thanks them for making the asset store and use my profits to buy the pro version. But I am a capitalist, so maybe that's just my view.

5. alewinn

alewinn

Just to mention it : Unity already done something similar encouraging iOS pro and Androïd pro buying by giving free licences of the non pro versions. This was an oportunity for us to get inside the iOS and Androïd market.
    I don't know Unity plans for pro licence but i know they already encourage developpers to go to more markets, helping professionalisation.

6. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

I had a similar idea but instead of 25%, you choose how much get's put towards the Pro license and how much is sent to you as income.

7. npsf3000

npsf3000

Are any of those people even remotely interested in the idea?

8. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

I'd be willing to bet a Unity Pro license, they all have Pro licenses. :) Most big devs even just on the asset store have pro.

9. yahodahan

yahodahan

I'm not sure if they are, I don't mean to speak for anyone. The idea was to point out a few major players who have really helped build Unity up.

Honestly, at even a very small amount, (single cents on the dollar), this would be very generous and beneficial for Unity and the devs. Looking at the numbers again- if they allowed just 10% of their commission (not gross income) to be used towards a Pro Licence, that would be a major boon for small developers and cost them next to nothing.

For a fellow like myself, and I suspect many others, every little bit really helps.