Search Unity

Unity asset store blocked by Avast

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zodiac-GSK, May 9, 2023.

1. Zodiac-GSK

Zodiac-GSK

Since this morning, every time I open the asset store I receive this, am I the only one? Translation of the alert: (We canceled the connection to assetstore.unity.com because this url was infected with URL:Blacklist).

upload_2023-5-9_11-25-32.png

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

It is not infected. It's just the reason to ditch those "security" programs because they merely tend to alert you to just about anything only to entertain the thought that they're still valuable and useful and worth the money despite today's up to par Windows built-in security tools and policies.

What's happening here is that the tool alerts you to the use of some 3rd party tool (website) used by the store, but Avast deems this "problematic". Why? Because it collects analytics data. You know, practically the same data that's collected from you when you click on "Allow" on any Cookie banner popup.

The only thing this message is about is to tell you that this "security" tool has done it's job, it instilled into you some sense that even on seemingly trusted sites on the web there's danger lurking everywhere and hence, that is making the tool proud of itself because you now know you'll need it, right? Even though it's not actually adding anything of value and in the worst case will even add security holes to your system.

Uninstall.

Sorry for ranting. ;)

UniverseWithin likes this.
  3. neginfinity

neginfinity

It is best to uninstall avast. I got rid of it couple of years ago when it started to become completely obnoxious, and tried to scare users into buying some sort of VPN "protection" and so on.

UniverseWithin likes this.
  4. Zodiac-GSK

Zodiac-GSK

Yeah, I think I'll just uninstall this stuff that sends more pop ups than a real virus