Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Asset Source Control

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by foomanchu1989, May 17, 2015.

1. foomanchu1989

foomanchu1989

Hello all,

This post might not belong here but here goes. My game development team started up a little over a year ago and since then we have attempted to create at least 3 games which in some way or another have become tabled and we move on to a new project. A looming issue was a lacking of a mechanism for sharing our code AND assets between the different team members. We looked into using Dropbox which was difficult because everyone needed a separate account which was a barrier for new/potential team members.

We eventually moved towards Git but this wouldn't work with assets so we tried to use Dropbox alongside Git. While this approach was decent, it still cost us all to have a Dropbox account. We needed another solution.

This final solution which we are currently using is what I am here to present today. I have created some python scripts that use Amazon S3 servers to store/retrieve your assets with minimal effort. Me and my other developers simply place our large file assets in a designated folder in our unity project and run a batch file that updates a manifest that is version controlled by git and also uploads all assets to Amazon. Another batch file is used when we first clone a repo to download all the files that all listed in the manifest and used by the game.

You are likely wondering why I am writing this post. I am doing this to help any other indie teams struggling with figuring out a good way to work in a team with Unity. I'll be commenting things and creating a tutorial over the next few days but PM me if you have interest in this or if you want some more advice on version control and Unity.

Cheers!

jkry2121 and Arkade like this.
  2. foomanchu1989

foomanchu1989

Here is the link to the Git repo we use to version control our S3 tool:

http://gitlab.teamblackheart.com/TeamBlackHeart/s3tools.git

I am working on a separate writeup that the other developers (non programmers) will also contribute to so we can document the pain from all perspectives. Let me know if you have any questions.