Search Unity

Unity Asset Server won't start.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Sprocket, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Sprocket

Sprocket

I have been using the asset server for a while with no problems, running it locally on my development machine. After booting up today it refuses to start.

Trying to start it from the controller gives the error "Could not start server. Cannot start service Unity Asset Server on computer '.'.".

Trying to start the service manually from "Computer Management" gives me the error "Windows could not start the Unity Asset Server service on Local Computer. Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure.".

When I booted my computer today there was some update from Windows Update, but I didn't pay attention to what it was.

Techincal specs: Unity 3 Pro (with asset server license), Windows 7 (64 bit).

I haven't made any system changes recently except for that windows update this morning (and certainly nothing related to Win7 users). However I rarely reboot my development machine, so theoretically the error could have snuck in sometime in the past week or so (although the asset server worked fine before the reboot). I did lower the UAC settings a while back, but I'm certain I rebooted afterwards and have been using the asset server since.

I am wondering if re-installing the asset server would fix this, but I don't really want to experiment with that unless I know a 100% safe way to backup the asset server data.

2. niosop2

niosop2

The asset server is just a postgresql database, so do a google search for something like "postgresql error 1069 windows" and you'll find a bunch of stuff. The most likely reason is that there is a problem with the user or password that the service is trying to start as. Double check those in the service settings.

3. Sprocket

Sprocket

Thanks for the quick response. In the "properties" dialog for the service it was set to run as user ".\unitysrv" or something like that. Changing it to "Local System" seems to fix it. :)

(makes we wonder how it managed to work in the first place though)

4. llavigne

llavigne

I am getting the same issue.
    However when I switch the user to Local System and start the service, a window pops up saying the service started then stopped.

When I start the AS from its gui it times out again.

@Sproket, how did you start the service after switching the login to local?

$;.png $2010-11-10_2202.png

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  5. Dreamora

Dreamora

To get the AS installing correctly (if the install fails you won't be able to start it), ensure that you login on the expected account ie UnitySrv and install it from within there.

This interestingly works and so will it do after that point

6. llavigne

llavigne

I re-installed in Administrator because there was no unitysrv user, the install created a Unity Asset Server user automatically and reset logon to ./unitysrv

it still doesn't work

Sproket, can you outline the steps that allowed you to make the AS function again.

Is there anyone at Unity left to provide support on the Asset Server, it feels abandoned.

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

you must create a UnitySrv user, because unity will ALWAYS run from that one. yet the problem is that the setup does not work commonly and it can not register itself correctly against it when not on it.
    I've on the official thread to AS2 mentioned the steps but from what I recall:

Create UnitySrv user with admin rights
    login to it and install AS2
    Switch back to administrator and feel free to remove the admin rights again
    be happy

bit annoying and hard to believe that this many months were not enough to fix a trivial bug.

8. llavigne

llavigne

Thanks !

But It seems that I have another problem, something with the database.

I do a fresh install in unitysrv, removing the old database folder (and packing it 7z style)
    the server starts no problem
    i stop the server and unpack the old database
    the server won't start

I tried changing the credential of the old database but unitysrv and administrator already have "allow all"

Finally no log is created when the AS does not start.

9. llavigne

llavigne

Another one :

role "unitysrv" does not exist

$2010-11-11_1329.png

PS: I think MS made authentication and user creation more strict, that's what broke the AS.

10. llavigne

llavigne

I finally got rid of the database and redid it, it all works well now

still, $500 for this ... it's a lot for something that doesn't work reliably (and with zero support)

11. Dreamora

Dreamora

you don't pay $500 for the asset server, that part is actually free ... you pay $500 per seat that wants to use it ...

but I agree that the progress and support is horrible for the AS

12. llavigne

llavigne

yeah yeah same difference, what good is a client if the server is difficult

the creating the user didn't work on the old database, only worked on a brand new one

13. Dreamora

Dreamora

the server itself is not that difficult. the problem is that although the problems with the windows install were reported very early it didn't get fixed.

also, what do you mean with old database? potentially an AS 1 one?

14. llavigne

llavigne

Problems leading to corruption possibly ?

AS1 database, maybe, it was created on 1/21/2010

15. frankprogrammer

frankprogrammer

I had the same problem when I rebooted today. I am running Win 7 Pro x64 with SP1 installed and had no updates pending and am running as a domain user. Running Unity Asset Server 2.0.1f1_33964.

I opened up Computer Management console (compmgmt.msc) and noticed that the unitysrv user's properties had "User must change password at next logon" checked and "Password never expires" was not checked. I set the password for the unitysrv user to the admin password of the Asset Server and checked "Password never expires".

This allowed me to start the server with no problems again!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  16. Sahil-Ramani

Sahil-Ramani

That worked perfectly! Thanks Frank84!

17. Yorick2

Yorick2

Best first post ever award goes to Frank84!

18. sujinlab

sujinlab

Thanks Frank84

19. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

Amazing tip, thanks a lot!!!

20. mrexcessive

mrexcessive

HI Frank84 and thread watchers...

I (sadly) have the asset server installed on a Windows Vista Home Premium machine.
    This does not give me access to the user management from the computer management... nor to gpedit.msc, which seems to be required to add the snap-in...

Any ideas how to edit non-user account passwords (and set to not expire) on Vista Home Premium ?

Cheers

Peter

21. mrexcessive

mrexcessive

Replying to my own post...

If you cannot find the GUI for managing non-user accounts, try this

Open the Windows Vista command line (not tested on anything except Windows Vista Home Premium)

Use the 'net user' command to make the changes exactly as suggested by Frank84 (thank you Frank!)

REM Replace PASSWORD_HERE with your asset server admin password

C:\Windows\system32>net user unitysrv PASSWORD_HERE /PASSWORDCHG:NO /EXPIRES:NEVER /LOGONPASSWORDCHG:NO

I hope it works for you

Peter

22. nawash

nawash

thks, Frank84, awesome solution!!! :)

23. Kieran Chandler

Kieran Chandler

thanks guys its weird how this works but it does really needed that

24. themipper

themipper

Thank you Frank84 your solution still works like a charm.
    In addition I only had to change the settings to never-expire. I didn't have to change the password.

Martin

25. Super_apple

Super_apple

Thanks Frank84,
    Nice Solution!

26. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

Thank you Frank. You just saved me a lot of time and trouble.

No thanks to Unity, who have apparently known about these Windows installation issues for over two years and done nothing. You just cost me a lot of time and trouble.

27. thempus

thempus

Sorry by I need to thank Frank too. Lost a lot of time with that problem and now it is working.

I'm using unity inside a virtual machine parallels desktop 8

28. Coks

Coks

29. ScottYann

ScottYann

Thank you!!

[if this doesn't work, don't forget to make sure the password also matches the one entered into your service settings]

30. Webjema

Webjema

Frank, mrexcessive THANK YOU!
    Fixed on Windows 8 x64

31. ScottYann

ScottYann

Yes thank you!

32. mrexcessive

mrexcessive

You're welcome... nice to see it works W8 also

33. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Yesterday we've been hit by this bug as well. Sadly the solutions in here didn't work out due to some right management problems with Win 7 Home Premium. Access denied. Whatever. I am no IT guy.
    Unity - please fix this bug for good!

34. mrexcessive

mrexcessive

@Marco make sure that you use an elevated / administrator command window... Right click on "cmd" icon and choose "Run as administrator"

Then the command line version I posted above should work fine.

35. OpLusX

OpLusX

Thanks Frank84 , it really worked !

36. grimmy

grimmy

Since updating to Windows 10 I've not been able to start the Asset server. It used to work just fine. When I go to services and hit start, it tries to start but then stops straight away repeatedly. I have attempted a re-install of asset server but the same thing keeps happening. Any ideas?

Update: I've tried re-installing Unity too, but still nothing :(

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  37. Anabella888

Anabella888

Pretty useful, thanks :)

I was trying to build some playing area for tank trouble game, and it seems to be very helpful for that purpose.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019