Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Asset Server stalls with "initializing message"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Sinmantky, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Sinmantky

Sinmantky

Using Win 7 64bit.

1. downloaded the unity_asset_server-2.0.1.exe file
    2. installed it with normal procedure
    3. When installing, the program stalls at "database initializing" stage (see screenshot)
    $unityerror.jpg

Thus, i stopped the installation with the followin
    1. stopped the installation via task manager's kill function
    2. reboot Win
    3. deleted the Unity Asset Server folder
    4. reinstalled the program

now, i receive the following message, but still going nowhere.
    $unityerror2.png

What seems to be the problem?

2. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

"Install server not responding" generic error from windows relating to MSI installers, the unity asset server is not an MSI but it ships with the VS C++ 2008 redistributable installer which is MSI. Google has lots of info but I'm guessing something went wrong with the when the process was killed, you could try seeing if you see the redistributable package mentioned in the Control Panel->Programs->Programs and Features list and uninstalling it if you see it.

Regarding the original problem you should file a bug report (use the Unity editor bug reporter) and include all log files you can find in the C:\Program Files\Unity\AssetServer\log directory ("Programs Files (x86)" in a 64 bit OS). Also include details about your OS, this could be related to an encoding problem we had with the database (on an asian language OS) but that was supposed to be fixed already, if it is related to that there should be an error in the install.log file iirc. Just email me the case number and I'll look at them.

3. Sinmantky

Sinmantky

Hi Larus

Thanks for the reply.

I went back and checked the C++ packages, and I realized that they were 32bit ver and not the x64 ver. So I uninstalled the 32bit and installed the 64bit.

Even after reinstalling everything rebooting the PC, the installation of the Asset Server still got stuck in the same place. I could not attach any debug log files as there were none created.

The current setup is:
    - Win
    - Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.21022
    - Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.17
    - Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219

Here is the hardware spec:
    View attachment $PCsetup.txt

Regards

4. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

Right, if the installer never finishes (how long did you wait actually?) then the log won't get written. However, can you copy the text from the installer dialog window and paste it into a file? It would be best if you could use the Unity editor bug reporter and attach it there, we get additional system information from that (like your locale).

If you don't mind switching the locale of your machine to some English variant you could try that to see if that helps.

5. Sinmantky

Sinmantky

Hi Larus

- The installation takes forever (had to leave it overnight to actually see some other message)
    - I couldnt copy the messages within the installer dialog
    - I changed the locale to EN and sent the bug over the Unity Bug Reporter.

Thanks!