Search Unity

Feedback Unity ARM 64 Linux Build Support

Discussion in 'HMI & Embedded Systems' started by TCROC, Nov 26, 2022.

?

Do you want Linux ARM64 build support?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TCROC

TCROC

Hello Unity! I'm adding a poll here to see how desired ARM 64 support is for Linux. This would provide huge cost savings and performance improvements for customers. Here is a link to AWS's post: https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/graviton/

In particular:

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

Next to this I would love to run visualizations for interactive projections on a raspberry Pi using unity! Would be so much better than adding a mini PC

3. pioj

pioj

It's easy: There's huge market potential for Linux/Android ARM-based handheld consoles today. They most are low-cost and the performance is good enough for 2D and PlayStation2 era 3D graphics.

I want to develop videogames for them using Unity.
    I don't care which platform I use to develop them (Windows, Linux, whatever...)

I'm currently forced to target Android for ARM as the OS, so I want the choice to target Linux for ARM instead.

DevDunk likes this.
  4. DevDunk

DevDunk

Make sure to make a feature request on the roadmap!

5. pioj

pioj

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
  6. RomanoMcBride

RomanoMcBride

Unity Technologies

I agree that handheld consoles are on the rise, but a platform doesn't only entail a combination of a processor architecture and an operating system kernel. Many more things like graphics drivers, input methods etc need to be taken into account and need custom development work. With dozens of ARM-based devices on the market, dozens or of combinations of all of these things need to be supported. We want to make sure that when we support a platform, users get a streamlined developer experience and stable runtime where APIs do what developers expect.

That being said, we do support ARM Linux for enterprise/industrial customers as part of our premium runtimes. With an enterprise arrangement, we make sure that the customer's particular platform is fully supported, along with the special quirks that come with it. This platform can be anything from a handheld gaming device to an automotive infotainment system.

The aforementioned Embedded Linux build is currently the way to go for ARM Linux support. Instructions on how to get access to these embedded builds can be found here.

DevDunk likes this.
  7. TCROC

TCROC

Thanks for the response! Could you guys at least consider supporting it publicly tho? Many of us (including myself) are small indie devs that can’t afford enterprise support. Not being able to compile to Linux ARM will force us to consider other game engines for our future projects.

DevDunk likes this.
  8. RomanoMcBride

RomanoMcBride

Unity Technologies

We are considering many things, all the time. :) From my experience the embedded builds work fine arm-based linux systems like the Raspberry Pi, but it's a different story to productize it for a wider base than just industrial customers and still provide the support and quality everyone expects.

Like with so many things, I can't elaborate on future roadmap plans, but I'm taking your suggestion into account.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    TCROC and DevDunk like this.
  9. DevDunk

DevDunk