Search Unity

Unity + ARKit - General iOS integration questions

Discussion in 'AR' started by Andrew_unity56, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Andrew_unity56

Andrew_unity56

I'm looking into switching from SceneKit to Unity, on top of ARKit.

Currently with SceneKit, I'm integrating with other areas of the system, for example I'm using the location from CoreLocation to create a location-based experience, where I position objects given a coordinate in relation to the user, and their coordinate.

I'm wondering how the integration with iOS works in Unity, and whether I'll be able to continue doing that. I'm fine to re-write a lot of my controlling-the-scene code in Unity - I expect to be doing that. But I'm wondering how much I can communicate between Unity and my iOS app?

Another question... I'm currently containing all of my code on top of ARKit+SceneKit as a framework, and then including that framework in client apps. With Unity, would I technically be able to do this? Would I be able to contain my code on top of ARKit + Unity as a framework? Would it require additional steps to download Unity on the client app side? This is an integration I hope they could perform easily themselves, and so having it bundled into my framework that they can just drop into their app, as is the case currently, is the ideal scenario.

2. jimmya

jimmya

Currently, you will not be able to embed Unity in another app without some major work. But as for your use of other frameworks within Unity, it should be possible by writing them as plugins - that is what we did with ARKit plugin.