Search Unity

Unity AR Foundations : "unsupported" Samsung galaxy Note 8

Discussion in 'Handheld AR' started by MosesGameDev, Sep 4, 2018.

1. MosesGameDev

MosesGameDev

I recently downloaded Unity AR Foundations and followed the steps written on the documentation page: (https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.xr.arfoundation@1.0/manual/index.html) I am currently Using a Samsung Note 8 and when I play it, It does not show the camera feed (just the unity sky, I have granted camera permissions), I then attempted to debug and check the ARSubsystemManager state, which then returns to unsupported.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine.UI;
    4. using UnityEngine.XR.ARFoundation;
    5. using UnityEngine;
    6. public class GameManager : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    8.     public Text Text;
    9.     private void Start()
    10.     {
    11.         checkARSubsystemManagerState();
    12.     }
    13.     void checkARSubsystemManagerState()
    14.     {
    15.         Text.text = ARSubsystemManager.systemState.ToString();
    16.     }

2. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Unity Technologies

We aren't aware of any issues specific to the Note 8. The support check requires a connection to the Play Store, since the phone can't know if ARCore supports the device until it asks the Play Store. If you've never logged into the Play Store before on that device or don't have an internet connection, then you might get "unsupported".

If that doesn't sound like the problem, please submit a bug report with a project that reproduces the issue.

3. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Unity Technologies

Another thought: You mentioned that you have the ARFoundation package -- do you also have the ARCore package? If you don't have the ARCore package, then ARFoundation will (correctly) report the system state as "unsupported".

4. tiz777

tiz777

I have a similar problem, hope to be in the right thread :)

I just downloaded the latest arfoundation-samples from github https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/arfoundation-samples
    I'm using Window 10 with Unity 2019.1.2f1 and tried the SimpleAR scene on a Samsung Galaxy S7 (Wifi active), but it result as an unsupported device. I'm checking the result as described here:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.xr.arfoundation@2.0/manual/index.html

Also checked the package manager, and all the AR/XR stuff are installed.

Furthermore, when running the scene in Unity I get the following error (twice):
    Assertion failed on expression: 'false'
    UnityEngine.XR.ARKit.ARKitImageTrackingSubsystem:RegisterDescriptor()

FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
    System.Number.ParseSingle (System.String value, System.Globalization.NumberStyles options, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo numfmt) (at <1f0c1ef1ad524c38bbc5536809c46b48>:0)
    System.Single.Parse (System.String s, System.Globalization.NumberStyles style, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo info) (at <1f0c1ef1ad524c38bbc5536809c46b48>:0)
    System.Single.Parse (System.String s, System.IFormatProvider provider) (at <1f0c1ef1ad524c38bbc5536809c46b48>:0)
    UnityEngine.XR.ARKit.ARKitImageTrackingSubsystem.RegisterDescriptor () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.xr.arkit@2.1.0-preview.3/Runtime/ImageTracking/ARKitImageTrackingProvider.cs:124)

Thanks in advance for a tip on this :)

5. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Unity Technologies

Just tested the "SimpleAR" scene on a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge and it worked as expected. Are you running an unmodified sample? If so, which? If not, can you post some code?

6. tiz777

tiz777

Thanks for the quick answer!

So I also tried the unmodified sample, but the screen remains black. In the mean time I also tried on a Galaxy Note9 and on that device it works, so the problem seems related to the S7. Is there something I can further try/check?

7. PTW_AR

PTW_AR

I think it won't work in the editor with 2019.1 (?), although I guess it should result in a different error(?): https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.xr.arfoundation@2.0/manual/index.html

Technical details
    Requirements
    This version of AR Foundation is compatible with the following versions of the Unity Editor:

• 2019.2 and later
    I'm literally having the exact same problem though! Using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 (which is supported by ARCore).

I used Unity 2019.2.0b2 and Unity 2019.1.0f2 with all necessary packages installed.

Essentally just downloaded the arfoundation-sample-master, didnt make any changes at all. Starting the project in unity results in the errorcodes above.

Unity 2019.2.0b2 editor doesnt work for me either though (which is strange).

First time using ARFoundation, so I probably made a beginner mistake. Unfortunately I can't find the necessary steps to get rid of these errors. Not sure if it is really a compability issue...

8. tiz777

tiz777

Thanks for your feedback!
    In the github link I previously posted it says 2019.1, but in fact I also remember to have read 2019.2 somewhere.. anyway, using 2019.2.0b2 don't even build the scene giving some errors..:(

9. MartinGebske

MartinGebske

Same here. Strangely I can build to Android (Google Pixel 3) but can't use the Editor. Everything stays black and I've got this error. That's a bit tedious for debugging

10. vinzer_x

vinzer_x

I also would want to report that my S9 is returning the device check as unsupported as well, even though I have successfully run the 1.0 version of AR Foundation without issues (built using 2018.3). I was hoping to update to 2.1 to improve stability and try out the new features.

For reference, I was trying to run the SimpleAR scene with the only code I added was to grant camera permission and the support checking code.

Any help would be appreciated if someone has found a solution to this. Thanks in advance!

11. vinzer_x

vinzer_x

I tinkered around and apparently I also have to update AR Core on the device to the latest version from the Play Store to pass the availability check and the AR now works again. Hope this helps someone. :)