Search Unity

Unity App Store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crycore93, Jul 17, 2020.

?

Good Idea (Unity-only AppStore)

1. Yes

12.5%
  2. No

87.5%
  1. Crycore93

Crycore93

Hello fellow Devs!

As I'm trying to publish my first game for mobilephones, i discovered the mess of AppStores in general.

1. To set up In-App-Purchasing or buying the game on itself in a AppStore is way more complicated, then i thought! I'm very grateful for UDP and Unitys services and support! Without them, it would be kind of immpossible to accomplish this as a solo-dev.

2. Everybody wants a piece of the cake (not small), even if they did nothing for you. You can look up how much Google/Apple take from every microtransaction. (~20-30+%)

3. You are a piece of sh*t in the eyes of big companies and nobody will even try to help you to set everything up, if you havent payed them in ahead.

4. many more small reasons, like Samsungs broken registration site, bad translations and and and..

My Question:
    When will we get a Unity-AppStore for android/windows/linux?

50% of the top 1000 Games are made in Unity.
    50% of all made games in the last 12 months, were made in Unity.

Why not closing the circle and build a monopol to compete against f***ing Google/Apple/Steam..?

As a private person, i would totally download and use a Unity-only AppStore and even buy Apps from there. More likely then from other stores! I don't want to sponsor such d*ckheads, who sh*t on their creators!
    Even if Unity would take 50% of the revenue, it would be OK for me, because the money would stay in the Dev-circle and as a UnityDev I get great updates and awesome new features every year!
    Google/apple/.. on the other side, just takes money from you, because you take up some small place in their database. No Appstore gives a sh*t what app you develop. They won't help you anyway, unless you're a big corp.

Let's unite and segregate the a**holes!

(Sry for my bad english and the bad language. I'm totally exhausted after fighting against all this crap, for the last days. The only things that worked for me, in the last months, were made from Unity. I'm starting to become a fanatic Unity-Cultist)

2. tmcdonald

tmcdonald

I'm pretty sure the only way to do this would be for Unity to create their own phone, right? Like Amazon did with their Fire devices. But I could totally be wrong, I don't mess around with mobile apps.

3. Crycore93

Crycore93

AppStore is just another application to download applications.
    There is a Samsung Store for Samsung devices. Same goes with huawei and a few more asian appstores. But it's the same OS (android)

It's the same like steam/epic/battle.net on pc. Just another distribution plattforms.

If you sell your game on one of this plattforms, you will have to give some of your revenue to this plattforms for listing your app and distribute them.

4. Mauri

Mauri

Sounds like a bad idea, to be honest.

Steam, Apple's App Store and Google's Play Store are very well known already. Epic Games' Store, too - albeit it had not a great start. People would rather go to those mentioned stores. Think what you want of these stores, but you obviously don't speak for the masses.

I personally don't see any benefit from having an "Unity-only App Store".

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yeah, no.

Ukounu likes this.
  6. Crycore93

Crycore93

If it wouldn't be succesful, there weren't so much different AppStores for the same OS.
    My point is, that you have to pay big companies like Google, for what exactly? The benefit would be, that the money doesn't go to non-gaming related people who have done NOTHING for your game. Have you ever payed google for listing your website on top of their results? My ex-company had to pay 50.000€ for just beeing on top of the results. It was even more expensive then the rent for their big physical office. The "big ones" allready swim in money, while smaller companies have to pay higher percentages of their income, just to compete with others.

Unity on the other side provides us with helpful features, fast support and a ton of tutorials. Why not giving them the money for distribute your games? You can sell the games additional on steam and google if you want to. Nobody said that everybody HAVE to upload their games on the unity appstore.

The masses already use different appstores. Check out UDP and why its so helpful!

You allready have to pay 30% of your revenue, when publishing on google/apple. Also this would be a ADDITIONAL distributing platform. not INSTEAD of google. 50% of additional revenue is more income for you, then no chance of additional income. The "50%" was just an overstatement. Do you realy think unity would cut this big?

You could make 1000$ on google and pay them 300$. Thats a lot of money for a fresh developer. And dont forget the fees to just "join the clubs". (google 25$, apple 99$,..) Additional you will have to pay taxes and on the end of the day you only see the same ~500$, as you would have published on Unitys appstore. The only difference is, that some google-employee will buy a new car, instead of pumping the money back to the roots and hopefully get even better possibilities with new features.

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Sure why not? If they think they can get away with it, they'd easily charge 50%, although practically I don't think anyone would release their game on their store if they charged that much.

But even if it's the "standard" 30% what's the benefit of using the Unity store instead of the competition? That the money goes to Unity? Why would I want to give Unity even more money?
    You're new to Unity, aren't you?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Ukounu likes this.
  8. Vryken

Vryken

You're trying to create the very thing you're arguing against.

Ukounu likes this.