Search Unity

Unity Answers - Suggestion to Reduce Posting Comments as Answers

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by pako, Feb 17, 2018.

1. pako

pako

There is a huge amount of posts in Answers that are Comments, or even new Questions, but are posted as an Answer to the original question. Of course, this is done mainly, or even exclusively, by new users.

Such practice is just not right! It messes things up, and when one is looking in the "Answers" section of a Question, will quite often, find comments, or more questions.

I suspect that the source of such bad practice by new users is caused by the fact that the link text for posting an answer is "Add your reply", and only after the "Reply" is posted the text "Answer by xyzUser" is displayed on top of the Reply/Answer.

Although I can see some logic that someone posting what seems to be an answer, is not really an answer, so it could be classified only as a reply, I think such logic has more cons than pros. Especially since after a "Reply" is posted the text "Answer by xyzUser" is displayed on top of the Reply, and after a Reply is accepted, it is displayed with the heading "Best Answer".

So, if it's possible, please change the link text for posting an answer to "Add your Answer". I think it will help tidy up the Answers forum.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  2. WhendricSo

WhendricSo

The first time I used Unity Answers, I also made this mistake. It was only later that I realized that there is a separate comment link!

I think this is an excellent user-experience suggestion. I hope the team at Unity makes a tweak!

pako likes this.
  3. pako

pako

4. meat5000

meat5000

An iPhone user once told me their comment link never appeared for them. Sorry, dont know the specifics.

5. pako

pako

That could be considered to be a bug and dealt with separately, but in any case the target of such a small change would be to reduce significantly the issue, and not eliminate it completely, since even if the comment link appeared properly, there would still be some users that would post their comments as answers. Maybe we could impose a $1,000,000 fine to them... that would teach them... :p

6. meat5000

meat5000

Aye, 'at'll learn 'em proper w'u'n'it :p

Seriously though, I'd rue the day that I did it by mistake. Perhaps only posting comments should be possible and the user is forced to convert it to an answer if they want one.

7. pako

pako

I think this is an excellent idea!!! :cool:

8. chingwa

chingwa

Half the replies in Answers are people telling people to mark their comment an answer or their answer as comment. I've never found that system worthwhile in the least. If I'm searching for answers I find success 95% of the time on the forums anyway. Answers is useless to me.

9. pako

pako

This is simply not true! and how would you know, since you are not using Answers?

I respect your personal opinion, but there's a huge number of users who do find Answers very useful. But since this is the case for you, why do you even bother to reply to this thread? Also, Forum and Answers have different functions:

• Unity Answers is a place for questions that can be answered! Avoid asking questions here that are subjective, argumentative, or require extended discussion.
    • Unity Forums is a place for discussions, opinions, showing off your work, getting feedback, and general community chatter.
    UNQUOTE

https://answers.unity.com/page/faq.html

BTW, your reply is off topic! This thread does not discuss the usefulness of Answers, which is the essence of your reply.

10. chingwa

chingwa

My reply isn't off-topic just because you don't like it. I answered the thread because the problem you spoke of is a fundamental issue with Answers and is never going to be fixed. This has been ongoing for years. Why get annoyed with it at this point?

11. pako

pako

In other words, you believe that your reply is not off-topic, because you also believe that this issue will never be fixed, and consequently nobody should attempt to do something about it.

I am sorry sir, but I do not share your values!

I don't care if something is being done the wrong way for forty years! If I notice the wrong, and consider it worth while, I will voice my concerns, and seek to find solutions to the problem, in a constructive way.

Constructive being the keyword here, and this is exactly why your reply is off-topic. Because your reply is nothing but constructive. Your reply has targeted to destroy any constructive effort, on an issue that you don't even care about, since you clearly said that you believe that Answers is useless.

And you launch your attack on this constructive effort, based on your beliefs and values. Excuse me sir, but let it be known to you that your beliefs and values are not the law of the land! Other members of the Unity community are entitled to their own beliefs and values.

So, as the OP, I know very well that this constructive effort may or may not lead to a solution of the issue, but I do stand firm that your reply is off-topic because it's sole aim is to attack this constructive effort for which I have the right to seek support in this forum, as well as to defend it!!!

12. chingwa

chingwa

LOL whatever. :D

13. pako

pako

Your last reply just confirms what you have already amply demonstrated, that you respect no one!!!

14. chingwa

chingwa

I don't know why you're trying to pick a fight. I have no emotional investment in this conversation.

15. pako

pako

You are trying to pick a fight, not me. I have been respectful towards you, and on the contrary you have been disrespectful and insulting towards me as well as others in the Unity community, including Unity itself.