Search Unity

Unity Announcement Special Event Livestream

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aurore, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

We have some pretty awesome news for you tomorrow, you can check it all out on our live stream of our Special Event. March 3rd at 8:30am PST.

If you can't catch our livestream, we'll be live tweeting over at http://twitter.com/unity3d

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

as a reminder for German folks. You cant watch the live stream due to our lovely GEMA. You need to go thru a proxy to watch! The easiest way is to install the plugin ProxMate or simmilar.

3. SpreadcampShay

SpreadcampShay

I recommend Hola, I use it all the time for these occasions!

4. Neoku

Neoku

crazy thing.

5. Stelitz

Stelitz

awesome sounds good :)

6. Archania

Archania

Will be a great thing to watch. Looking forward to it.

7. gsokol

gsokol

Ooooh can't wait!

8. magique

magique

I'm looking forward to this big announcement. Very interesting.

9. Winterstone

Winterstone

Is Unity 3d pro gonna be free too?

10. Whippets

Whippets

want it to be BIGGER than UE4 announcement

Teila likes this.
  11. minionnz

minionnz

Why does all the exciting stuff happen while I'm asleep? :(

Kiwasi likes this.
  12. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Someone needs to hack the universe's Time.deltaTime so that the livestream happens now.

13. Winterstone

Winterstone

Shhh, have another pudding pop and this strange tasting drink. Let ol'Bill tell you about it in the morning. ;)

minionnz likes this.
  14. UndeadButterKnife

UndeadButterKnife

My crystal ball shows me a royalty based license option in place of Unity Free, complete with full Pro features, along side the usual Unity Pro option. I also sense a movement in add-on model and pricing.

protopop likes this.
  15. Neoku

Neoku

I love Unity but after Unreal announcement today the Unity announcement tomorrow will be not very important.

16. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

The unification of Unity versions has been on the radar since last GDC. The lack of any info regarding the free/pro feature split is another nail in the coffin. PBR needing Linear workflow and HDR is the other nail. So, the value of the announcement of Unity going free is dubious.

However, that's a metric poop-ton of money to refund since last GDC. I expect very, very big things to be discussed!

17. JDMulti

JDMulti

Saw the news about Unreal Engine 4, and while it's not 100% free for those creating commercial games, it's 100% free for those playing around with all the tools.

Personally I work with Unity at work and I love to have access to the Pro version there. However, I would love to have this 100% free option included Pro and only have to share 5% with Unity. I would defiantly go for that as someone who can't just pay 1500 dollar and do it again for iOS and Android Pro. The reason why I'm a bit concerned about Unreal Engine 4 is that way how they completely change everything every new engine release. People that learned Unreal Scripting for years are now pushed to learn Blueprint or C++. Also the editor changed completely, and this is something that Unity doesn't do that much. It's like learning Photoshop or 3ds Max and next release you look at Painter or Maya instead, because they changed everything. :S

As someone that uses loads of software and needs to keep himself updated about every single day, Unity is a save bet. However the power of both those engines seems to go each another way. Unreal Engine 4 looks stunning, smooth but still struggles to build all the platforms what Unity has. However Unity is easier, but the power is in my opinion no-where near Unreal Engine 4. They share so much cool demos and projects, Unity needs to do this as well for sure.

I'm looking towards the announcement, can't wait tho. I know it's Unity 5 release, but what else is happening which we don't know. Btw I installed Unreal Engine 4 just to check out, but I must admit, there store integrated in the launcher... man that's so much nicer, why we don't have it that responsive, quick and beautyfull? :p

18. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

aw man if its about cost and money... then thats just lame... big deal...

19. jashan

jashan

Just for clarification: This one's actually not about GEMA but about our broadcasting laws. There's some weird law from a long time ago that says you need a license to do live broadcasting ... I'm not sure about the details but either YouTube just didn't want to get that license or (and I think that's really the issue) each individual doing live-streams via YouTube would have to get their own license. It sucks either way - just in this case, it's not really the GEMA (and while I'm certainly not gonna advocate for the GEMA, the GEMA/YouTube issue also isn't quite as clear as YouTube wants its users to view it).

Anyways, please make the recording available ASAP so we can at least watch the full thing with a little delay ;-)

20. orb

orb

Just unlock vsync and render to an offscreen buffer.

jashan and makeshiftwings like this.
  21. Aurore

Aurore

Yeah, sorry Germany, this is one of the reasons we are live tweeting too, we don't want anyone left out <3

Deon-Cadme and Stelitz like this.
  22. magique

magique

Could the "big" announcement just be the release of 5.0? If so, that wouldn't be quite so big after all.

23. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Why isn't Twitch.tv a solution?
    Streaming in the "Gaming Talk Show" or "Game Development" category?
    I don't like to say it, but i think epic has their UE livestreams there, too, and reaches like everyone. Especially the gaming-crowd.

Wouldn't even a simple restream/Double stream be possible to appear on both sites? YouTube and Twitch?

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Aurore you could give Twitch a go next time, if possible. They, for some reson, dont have this limitation.

25. Whippets

Whippets

erm... no. that wouldn't be big enough by a long way.

26. orb

orb

They have other limitations instead, like being Flash-based.

27. ZJP

ZJP

not, its : 'we will not be redeemed by AutoDesk. they have their own engine.' :p

28. hopeful

hopeful

What Unity could always do is make Unity 4.6 PRO free, and keep the regular pay-for-PRO structure for U5.

MagicZelda likes this.
  29. Aurore

Aurore

I think it's because we have a lot of YouTube subscribers so we want to keep everything in one place really. There may be other reasons that I've not been enlightened on though.

30. Moonjump

Moonjump

Yes a change as big as that would be annoying. I still find the removal of alphabetical sorting in the Hierarchy in Unity annoying, which the halfway-back-and-doesn't-work-properly fix doesn't solve. A change in language is massive in comparison.

MagicZelda likes this.
  31. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

32. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Do we have to sign up or anything to attend the announcement, or is it just first come first serve.

33. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This will be a great birthday present, Aurore. Despite the announcement of Unreal 4 being free, that will not make me switch. Aside from needing programming knowledge, I can handle Unity quite well.

34. jashan

jashan

You mean on YouTube? I think YouTube can handle rather massive amounts of users watching their live streams ;-)

35. angus_davidson

angus_davidson

One can only hope at the very least it will be free for EDU institutions.

36. 00christian00

00christian00

Oh god, please no! That would be the worst announcement possible.

37. TemplateR

TemplateR

I´m thinking, that UnityPro will be completely free with royal tax, just like UE4.

38. MoonbladeStudios

MoonbladeStudios

Don't think so... Unreal uses it's engine to build it's own games which generate income, unity doesn't. beside that they will have to compensate the users who bought UPro in the last 2-3 months (myself included). But they probably will do something and I hope it will be good :D Can't wait!

39. N1warhead

N1warhead

How about a new feature where you can take photos and instantly make 3d scenes out of them with extreme percision while optimizing, that would be SICK!

Screw the little converters, make it nearly instantaneous. No more texturing levels and modeling, just take photos and bring the world to life LOL.

40. eskovas

eskovas

Won't be able to watch it live :( but i'm really excited to see what's coming :D

I bet my twitter feed will be swarmed with Unity news and i won't be able to watch the video of the stream without spoilers :p

I have three bets for the major announcement:
    - Unity teams up with another big company to bring more things to Unity,
    - Pricing changes,
    - Dark skin comes to Unity Free. ( would definitely surprise everyone :p )

My 2 cents, this announcement doesn't sound like any new tech or a new version of Unity. This sounds like something related to Unity itself, either pricing, new partnership or new platform (publishing).

Anyway, can't wait :D

41. rahuxx

rahuxx

I guess.........................
    Unity bought another company and will add its features in unity.

42. hexdump

hexdump

Unity PRO with a royalty based price please. We need that. Or better, Unity PRO with all addons at studicca price :).

Cheers.

43. Whippets

Whippets

Are we nearly there yet?

44. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

5h Left!

FYI Asset Store is down for Maintanance

45. HemiMG

HemiMG

I'm tired and ready for bed, I dunno if I can make it 5 hours. But I'm also pretty sure I can't sleep. If this announcement is something lame, I'm gonna be one grumpy sleepy person! ;-)

46. N1warhead

N1warhead

hahaha same here, I'm ready to sleep, but I want to hear something amazing, if it's just saying, oh well instead of 75 a month will charge 65 I'll be very mad lol.

I mean yeah that's 10 dollars, but not worth the excitement of waiting for like a month to hear this lol

47. HemiMG

HemiMG

My interest is heavily piqued by the fact that they are letting the UE4 thread go on. I may even burn some of my very limited bandwidth allowance to watch the lifestream now. The last time they let a thread go on way past its death time was when they announced Oculus Rift support.

48. N1warhead

N1warhead

That is very true, usually Unreal threads die out after 10 posts from Hippocoder :p haha.

49. MagicZelda

MagicZelda

maybe just maybe they have teamed up with CryTek lol as they seem to be very quite over there.

50. HemiMG

HemiMG

Thankfully, I have a crapload of texturing to do and some TV shows I can watch. Now if I could just stop checking the forums every two or three minutes, maybe time would pass a bit faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.