Search Unity

Unity animations not playing locally even when parented to empty object

Discussion in 'Animation' started by C10110, Sep 16, 2014.

1. C10110

C10110

Hello,

First off I know this has been asked before, several times in fact. But I'm losing my mind over not being able to do what I want to do. I see people being able to make Unity animations *inside* the Unity editor, and have said animations play wherever they want even if they move them by simply placing the object/objects under an empty game object.

However...without fail. Every. Single...time I do this, my animations always plays where it was made! What am I doing wrong?! I've read these threads. Watched tutorial videos. I do exactly what the people posting say to do and it doesn't work!

Please let me know your thoughts. I like to test out ideas rapidly in Unity. And it would improve my work flow so much if I could animate cube people directly inside Unity without having to go to my 3D app, or having to rig anything or even just simply switching programs. Please let me know your thoughts. I also tried messing with several settings in the animation but nothing changed a thing. I am so lost. Using latest version of Unity Free on OS X. Thank you for your time.

2. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi,

As you have said that you have already placed your obj under an empty GO, I guess it's that you have made position keyframes for the parent GO in your animation clip.

Anyway, if that's not the case, maybe you could record your process and post here, then it'll be easier to tell where and what goes wrong.

3. C10110

C10110

Hey!

Of all people I can't believe you replied XD

I don't mean that as an insult. I just felt so bad bothering you about this via email so many times I thought I'd take my troubles to the forums and leave you be. But that's all coming from me. I thank you for still offering help regardless of my actions.

I'm about to go out to dinner and am on my phone at the moment. However when I get back I will make a video of myself trying to animate a set if object under an empty game object in unity so you can see were I'm messing up.

Thank you again! Looking forward to resolving this! Also I want to say Skele had been amazing. That guy released those 2400 some odd animations from that college for free on the asset store and skele has been key in getting some of those animations working.

4. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, Angelus1818,

I thought it was resolved as I didn't receive further mails from you. =)

Nevermind, I think we can help you figure it out after you make a recording on the process,

Best regards,

5. C10110

C10110

Hello again,

I went to record my video and saw where I was messing up. In short, I got it to work. I simply payed more attention to your .gif

When you are animating objects inside of an empty parent, it seams unity tends to snap back to the empty game object if you're not careful where you click. So all this time it's as you said, I was animating under the empty parent, not the objects within the parent. I guess. Although I'm still puzzled how that was working when I had a bunch of objects. But no matter. I was clearly able to get it to work now and understand it myself. Even if my explanation makes no sense haha! All I will tell anyone who comes across this thread is you really need to watch out for unity snapping back to the empty game object even if you clicked the objects within it. Anyway thank you for your help and patience. I'm glad I can animate static objects in Unity now. This is great!

6. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi,

Great, glad to hear you got it solved :)
    You could make many things with that, so try more and have fun.