Search Unity

Question Unity Animation VS Unreal Engine 4/ 5 Animation

Discussion in 'Animation' started by IAAAI, May 27, 2021.

1. IAAAI

IAAAI

Heyho!
    I hope u are doing great.

I am still am beginner. Hop on - hop off...
    And need some guidance.
    Currently i am reading "Game Anim: Video Game Animation Explained" and using some Blender.

As of today i could not stop thinking if it would be the right choice to pick Unity for practicing implementation of Animation/Gameplay functionalitys instead of using Unreal Engine 4/ 5 which featured Animation stuff in the new video that i thought was standard according to the book.

So i wanted to know where Unity is lacking with there Animationsystem (and also cinemachine, Animation Rigging) compare to Unreals possibilities.

I don't care about graphics of course. Its all about Animation/ moving parts of a game project.

Thanks. :D

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

What do you want to do exactly? Animation can mean a very big number of things.

If I understand the question correctly, the answer is "either one's fine".

3. IAAAI

IAAAI

Besides "Partial Animations" or "Additive Layers" i was more thinking about:
    • Full-Body IK (solver)
    • "Animation Motion Warping" -- adapting root motion to the world
    • Blend-Shapes
    • physics for clothing, hair/ fur, secondary objects attached to the player
    • physics motion mixed up with regular animation (flinching on hit)
    • physics for destruction maybe
    • "procedural" Animation mixed with regular animation
    I have a feeling i kind of expect way too much. But still don't know if that is truly the case.
    Sorry.

Thanks for further help.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Unity doesn't quite have that (people buy Final IK).
    Not sure what you mean by that.
    Unity does have that.

For all the physics stuff, maybe someone else will chime, but I'm fairly sure Unity's are kinda meh and Unreal's are superior.

IAAAI likes this.
  5. IAAAI

IAAAI

Ah i see.
    "Final IK" and "Puppetmaster" look like the right direction.

Thank you for the quick answer! :)

6. Unreal has stuff, whatever you see in Fortnite, basically, if that's what you want, you can have it.
    Unity has cloth, but it's painful, there are great clothing/hair/etc physics animators on the asset store. Sure it will cost some money.
    Well, depends on the depth, how far do you want to go. If you need some really good authority over it, then the FinalIK's author has the PuppetMaster (worth every penny, just like the FinalIK) asset, that does this and more (Unity), I'm not familiar with Unreal's capability on this, never used/developed this.
    Unreal has the Chaos engine, it's working. It's cool.
    Unity doesn't have built-in service for this, but also has a great 3rd-party, "industry standard" RayFire. It's not cheap, but it's truly great.

You can also have for example Houdini for both engines if the precalculated animation is good enough.

I don't know enough about this in Unreal.
    When it comes to Unity, you can write whatever you like through Playables. It is up to you.

7. IAAAI

IAAAI

Ahhhh...
    Thanks a lot.
    I guess i am just overthinking currently and should have a taste of both Engines with
    the information you both provided.

Thank you! :D