Search Unity

Unity .anim animations and mecanim problem

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Brodal, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Brodal

Brodal

Is there any way to get animations made in the animation editor in unity that creates animation clips to work with mecanim? Unity keeps complaining that there isn't a muscle definition for that animation or something like that. How do i get my own animation made in unity to work with mecanim? I've searched the internet for a good couple of hours now to try to solve this problem but haven't found anything useful yet. I'm hoping that someone can help me.

2. Alf203

Alf203

You are correct, it doesn't work. The animation editor is for legacy only. The .anim made by the editor doesn't contain the information required by mecanim to create the avatar so its not compatible.

They could upgrade the animation editor to work with mecanim but I haven't seen any topics about it. Also I did read one of the devs saying that legacy to mecanim with .anim support is a probability in the future. That would make it work but again nothing is yet sure.

For now, I would use a 3D modeling app to animate the objects rather than Unity if you plan on using Mecanim.

3. Brodal

Brodal

Thanks for the reply. I have tried using blender for this purpose instead, but that doesn't seem to work either as blender can't import FBX files. I have tried the autodesk converter to convert from fbx to collada ( .dae ). But when I then try to load these files into blender nothing shows up at all. Converting from FBX to obj works well but then the whole structure of the model gets thrown out the window and it is rendered useless. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

4. Alf203

Alf203

Your original model is in fbx ? Do you know what software was it modelled in ?

5. koirat

koirat

I second that topic.

I have also spent half a day searching for a way to simply use mecanim to move my camera from one place to another. I was trying to use custom animation clip created in editor.

It is also very misleading since this animation clips shows on list when doing state machine for mecanim system.

So here is my final question, is it possible to animate transform and rotation of game object with a use of mecanim. Also I would like to be able to make this animations in unity, I'm not going to run additional application for making every small animation.