Search Unity

unity android profiler "clear" under GPU - RenderForwardOpaque.Render

Discussion in 'Android' started by epikrule, May 2, 2017.

1. epikrule

epikrule

I made a simple 3d game, with not much going on, but when I build it and run it on a android device, it gets overeheated quickly. So I profiled it to see whats wrong, and I found this "clear" that takes up to 80% of my GPU. I cant find the cause of this. Can somebody please help me with this? I also want to know what can be the reason for the heating of my device, if that "clear" is not the reason. My device is Samsung Note 5.
    upload_2017-5-3_3-43-53.png upload_2017-5-3_3-44-31.png

2. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

This is the time on the CPU where Unity is waiting for the clear graphics API call. Typically this means that the CPU is waiting for the GPU to catch up.
    As an experiment you could try to render less or use cheaper shaders and check if the clear time changes.

epikrule likes this.
  3. epikrule

epikrule

Thank you. I changed my shaders to mobile, and it got slightly better, but not entirely. Now I'm thinking that it's a problem of my device. Anyway, thank you for your help.

4. jtate5

jtate5

I am having this exact same behavior with Unity 2018.2 on a Samsung Galaxy S6. Were you able to resolve this?

What tools can I use to help dig deeper into whats going on here?

5. KissTheBlade

KissTheBlade

6. KissTheBlade

KissTheBlade

I tried disabling multithreaded rendering and that got rid of the "clear" call at least somewhat, but the time for a frame is still exactly the same, about 16ms...
    Rendering transparentalpha came up from somewhere, didn't see that before. And PostLateUpadate.FinishFrameRendering now takes 7ms. The "other" graph now takes half of the time when rendering was about 100% before.