Search Unity

Unity and PC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pink Panther, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther

..i have been recently asked about Unity, regarding its appearance on PC and i couldnt answer question properly..however, I would like to know is there any major or any difference between Unity Pro on mac and future one on PC?? Few folks who use to plan to invest in to MacBook Pro have decided to wait since unity comming to PC...so, my question is actually, is there any advantage anymore to keep it up on MAC (as customer) when same software going to appear on cheaper platform?? Can someone post a bit light over this topic, please..I would really like to know more details..thank you in advance..

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

UT would be insane not to have feature parity, and since UT clearly are not insane but are geniuses rather, obviously it will have feature parity. The advantage to having it on the Mac is that Macs are better. ;) Seriously, my workflow on OS X is a lot smoother and less aggravating than I can ever get on Windows. A bunch of people who grudgingly bought Macs for Unity ended up loving them. However, if you really don't want to switch over for whatever reason, by all means continue waiting.

--Eric

3. Pink Panther

Pink Panther

..nahh..I do have it on my MacBook Pro..but im wondering, what would be difference (if any) when Unity goes PC..what would be serious reason to buy MAC and Unity when you can get it for already existing and very cheap platform such as PC..thats my major question i was unable to respond...especially from people who are 3dsmax/Maya users on PC..

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

When Unity will be released for Windows, there will be no inherent advantages to using a Mac. Of course, unless a person in question wants to use a Mac in general.

5. Lucas Meijer_old

Lucas Meijer_old

Other than you'd need a mac to publish for iphone, so if that's in your plans, you're probably better off on mac.

6. Pink Panther

Pink Panther

Why PC version of Unity will not be able to publish Iphone/Ipod touch games??

7. jashan

jashan

Because Unity for the iPhone needs Xcode (for legal reasons) to build iPhone games, and Xcode won't be available for PC. So, the build pipeline for iPhone/iPod games is only possible on the Mac, and unless Apple changes their minds, there's no way around this.

Other than that: I guess if you don't want a Mac, and you don't want to start developing with Unity very soon, it's probably best to wait for the PC version.

Anyways, I agree with Eric: Macs simply are better (and I'm one of the many people that just got a Mac to be able to use Unity) ;-) ... given that Windows perfectly runs in a VMWare, the only thing I could still imagine using a PC for is testing my games for PC on real PC hardware ;-)

8. degeneration

degeneration

I must be one of the few people who have begrudgingly bought a Mac just for Unity and am still despising the horrible little thing.

Horses for courses and all, but I've got a party popper ready for the Windows release.

9. taumel

taumel

I'll be happy when i can use a PC with the configuration i want, especially the gfx card without spending thousands of dollars for a MacPro which as a system i simply don't want from how it's built.

10. angel_m

angel_m

Yes, I had to buy a Mac also to use Unity, and of course I am very happy (with Unity) but I´ll be happier when I can use Unity with my PC and with any hardware configuration.

11. Pink Panther

Pink Panther

..but mr. angel..do you HAVE to buy another license of Unity for PC, if you already MAC version??

12. jashan

jashan

I don't think so. And I think this was mentioned on the forums. But I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that ;-)

13. drJones

drJones

from another thread:

: )

14. jashan

jashan

I guess you could quote drJones' quote ;-) - now it's certain ... more or less ;-)

15. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

More, not less Jashan. Confirmed: Unity licenses will be cross-platform. w00t!

16. kakapo

kakapo

does virtualization with vmware have good 3d acceleration support? as far as i know that's a weakness of most virtualization solutions?

17. jashan

jashan

It's getting better with each version of VMWare, and AFAIK, it's pretty okay in Parallels. But it's true: 3D acceleration support is still one of the few weak points in that kind of setup. I wouldn't recommend running 3D software in a VMWare.

So, I guess "perfectly runs windows" should probably be rephrased to "almost perfectly runs windows" ;-)

18. Dreamora

Dreamora

GPUs don't have virtualization yet so GPU + virtualization = bad idea.
    technically it could have happened long ago (todays GPUs consist of 1 to 8 distinct units), but ATI and NVIDIA so far have not really gone far enough into the calculation cluster war against each other as AMD and Intel did, so they didn't have any reason to come up with hardware VT standards yet for GPU.
    Thought I would bet that with the intend programming language stuff for GPU things of Apple for OSX 10.6, they will see themself in a situation where they might want hardware VT on GPUs as well.
    At least I assume (and hope) so.