Search Unity

Unity and Nvidia RTX Raytracing and AI on GPU?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Aug 20, 2018.

1. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Anyway, is 2080ti generation capable of real-time? For me is difficult to believe real-time ray tracing in games using the same amount of poly and shaders.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  2. zenGarden

zenGarden

Until your game has environment with lot of metal or water, ray tracing main advantage will be global illumination without any baking.
    Something like CryEngine Svogi, but looking better on both interiors and outdoor.

AlanMattano likes this.
  3. neoshaman

neoshaman

Too late, there is Bakery already on the asset store, like yesterday's yesterday

AlanMattano and Ryiah like this.
  4. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I would be happily shocked if somebody built a full real time ray tracing game and got it to run at a decent frame rate on the RTX 2080ti at popular resolutions (1080p, 1440p, 4k). Theoretically, full real time ray tracing would be possible, but only at much lower resolutions. I definitely do not expect to see any full real time ray tracing games in the near future.

Eventually, the video cards will get powerful enough to allow for full real time ray tracing, but not this generation of hardware. In addition to more powerful video cards, the resolutions would not to stop increasing. For example, if users decided they did not want more than 4K, then eventually the video cards could get powerful enough to handle full ray tracing with a decent frame rate at that resolution.

Historically, the constant demand for increased resolution has always kept ray tracing from really becoming practical. For example, right now it might be practical to run a fully ray traced game at 720p or a normal (non ray traced) game at 4K using the same hardware. When consumers eventually stop asking for more resolution, there will be a chance for full real time ray tracing tech to eventually take off.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. zenGarden

zenGarden

Bakery does not support all features Enlighten does, there is some flaws, it's also not perfect like no normal map support or limited lighting.

AlanMattano likes this.
  6. elbows

elbows

AntonioModer and LennartJohansen like this.
  7. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

This is a good step in the right direction :) Got my 2080Ti installed. Will be great to do some testing when it is ready

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  8. tatoforever

tatoforever

I have a couple of OptiX demos running in a GTX 1070 around 200fps. Fully raytracing the scene and contributing to a custom Gbuffer. By fully raytracing I don't mean "path tracing", I mean writing to a buffer using rays from the view. The scene is kinda simple though. Realistically speaking in a normal game with DXR we will be able to do around 3-4 rays per pixel, nothing more.
    The first iteration of Raytraced effects will be hybrid (and will remain as it for a while). They won't necesarily look pretier, instead behave more realistic or "more correct" and be free of screen space artefacts. For example in the case of shadows they won't suffer from panning and acne as the rays are tested agaisn't the visible pixel (instead of shadowmap texels).This is what I'm working on btw for the next version of NGSS btw.

9. neoshaman

neoshaman

Then there will be hacks, and that will be the most useful thing, like using lut mesh in the trace hardware

10. OnlyVR

OnlyVR

It is very very impressive! Could you share your project? Of cause you can replace all Star Wars assets by box primitives. I suppose you can keep SEGI - it is open source now.

11. zenGarden

zenGarden

Using hacks to speed up the game, while getting similar results is a common practice.

12. Arowx

Arowx

RTX in Battlefield V - Reduces FPS Performance.

13. zenGarden

zenGarden

You're late lol

14. neoshaman

neoshaman

well 4k reduce fps performance, what is teh point?
    I think the 60fps propaganda is adapting and now is winning a battle
    good good :cool:

OCASM likes this.
  15. OCASM

OCASM

Only an idiot would have expected higher than 1080p60fps for the first high-end game with ray tracing.

16. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

I presume DLSS only by itself is a game changer that will make my game run much faster.
    And, Can I use this tech to upscale the textures after shipping?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  17. Murgilod

Murgilod

On 4k resolutions, yes. Anything lower and it's not really effective.

AlanMattano likes this.
  18. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Raytracing is probably never going to be anywhere near the performance of regular rendering on the same hardware, it simply requires a lot more computation. And it's going to probably stay pretty high-end even as it does start to be introduced into games. A crappy old "basic" PC with no dedicated graphics card is going to be sitting there chugging at 1fps for a while, lol

19. konsic

konsic

https://wccftech.com/unity-engine-might-announce-ray-tracing/

In Unreal they've added these so it might come to Unity too.
    Rendering Updates:
    • Real-Time Ray Tracing and Path Tracing (Early Access)
      • Added ray tracing low level support.
        • Implemented a low level layer on top of UE DirectX 12 that provides support for DXR and allows creating and using ray tracing shaders (ray generation shaders, hit shaders, etc) to add ray tracing effects.
      • Added high-level ray tracing features
        • Rect area lights
        • Soft shadows
        • Reflections
        • Reflected shadows
        • Ambient occlusion
        • RTGI (ray traced global illumination)
        • Translucency
        • Clearcoat
        • IBL
        • Sky
        • Geometry types
          • Triangle meshes
            • Static
            • Skeletal (Morph targets & Skin cache)
            • Niagara particles support
        • Texture LOD
        • Denoiser
          • Shadows, Reflections, AO
        • Path Tracert
        • Unbiased, full GI path tracer for making ground truth reference renders inside UE4.
        • Runtime Render Graph API
          • Preview of the upcoming Render Graph API, only a small portion of the renderer has been converted.

OCASM likes this.
  20. OCASM

OCASM

Maybe they'll show something at GDC.

*fingers crossed*

21. marggob

marggob

Not suitable for use in the form in which it is now. Too much noise even with denoising on. Without loss of performance, you can use raytracing for shadows from directional light. The shadows from the sun do look very good and hardly reduce the FPS on my RTX 2070.

22. elbows

elbows

I suppose area light shadows is the thing I am initially most interested in, hope performance for that is somewhat useable.

My 2080ti died horribly (the 'space invaders' symptom that has been sadly all too common with some of these cards) so I really should get off my bum and get it replaced.

AlanMattano, Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Get off your bum elbows.

Ryiah and elbows like this.
  24. neoshaman

neoshaman

IN before RTX is use as an accelerating process to accelerate OTHER GI solution and open new possibility that has nothing to do with ray tracing, like good old shader.

OCASM likes this.
  25. elbows

elbows

I'm back in the world of RTX, my bum has been denoised, my cheeks ray-traced, and I have no comment to make regarding sticking it where the GI dont shine ;)

OCASM, dimitris_baud and hippocoder like this.
  26. konsic

konsic

Realtime ray tracing reflections for both AMD and Nvidia GPUs in Cryengine

Kridian, OCASM, Ryiah and 1 other person like this.
  27. zenGarden

zenGarden

You forgot the most important, you does not need RTX card to run ray tracing in CryEngine, demo running on Radeon RX Vega 56.

"and the experimental ray tracing feature based on CRYENGINE’s Total Illumination used to create the demo is both API and hardware agnostic, enabling ray tracing to run on most mainstream, contemporary AMD and NVIDIA GPUs"

It looks like CryEngine is once again behind ahead in terms or real time performance and graphics features.
    That's sad however the engine is a mess to use both on workflow, tools and code.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Ryiah and SLASH24 like this.
  28. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

How many years before we see this realtime raystracing in mobile phones?

29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Ages ago with imgtec's stuff :p it just never took off...

AlejMC and AcidArrow like this.
  30. zenGarden

zenGarden

With Xbox or Google game streaming coming, you'll get that quality very soon even on low hardware mobile LOL

31. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I get it, they are showing off the feature. Truth is, overused like this is a very rare demonstration-only feature. When looking at night time wet shots with neon lighting (which is quite hard to find) nothing is this reflective. It is way more reflective and clear than the real world.

This means you can use probes for 90% of it and save the processing for something better, frankly. I am not knocking it exists, but I am certainly going to save that perf for something a bit more practical until it's basically same cost as a probe.

Of course if someone has a super rig and wants to enable it they can, but even if they do, I don't plan on artificially boosting the reflections with 100% clean glass.

AlejMC and Ryiah like this.
  33. neoshaman

neoshaman

Why use probe, given teh maount of flat surface, just used an inverted mesh really, like old n64 day, then cubemap for curved, then ssr for contact, then raytracing for out of screen supplement and low freq indirect. :D

hippocoder, AlejMC and AcidArrow like this.
  34. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Real Raytracing is more complex than just a reflection WUUUUUP...
    New Turing architecture can be difficult to implement and probably need time.
    How RTX is implemented In Unreal? is it implemented?
    I do not think is just a reflection input or boolean in the shader editor.
    Is keeping the shadow information, scattering, refraction etc.
    Is more like a new rendering system.
    The new versatile Unity rendering system can help in the integration.

comp3.jpg

How can be implemented in Unity?
    I was hoping any Unity communication on the matter.

I found specific RTX talks at GDC (-3 days)
    https://schedule.gdconf.com/search/rtx
    • INTRODUCTION TO DIRECTX RAYTRACING(BY NVIDIA)
    • RAY TRACING IN VULKAN (BY NVIDIA)
    • GRAPHICS REINVENTED: RTX UPDATE (BY NVIDIA)
    • RTX IN JUSTICE (BY NVIDIA)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  35. elbows

elbows

Well some Unity people have clearly been experimenting with implementing all sorts of things using raytracing, just look at the various branches of HDRP on github that have raytracing in the name. Its way too technical a subject, with too many different directions, for me to do it justice in a conversation here. And I dont like to assume too much just from the github stuff, I will wait and see what they say publicly.

hippocoder, Ryiah and SLASH24 like this.
  36. zenGarden

zenGarden

It's purely demonstration, it's easy to decrease reflective power lowering the reflection or metallic value on shader or simply apply a roughness map.

I guess Nvidia is perhaps more precise results, but it looks more brute power hardware, while CryEngine results is good enough for most games usage (smoke and mirrors) and it looks more about optimization able to run on AMD without RTX.

I would be happy to have CryEngine optimized rendering in Unity or UE4 , Svogi and real time reflections running this smooth on AMD non RTX hardware :rolleyes:

konsic and Ryiah like this.
  37. konsic

konsic

This is paper for DXR:
    https://www.ea.com/seed/news/texture-level-of-detail-strategies-for-real-time-ray-tracing

Unity team could make something like that using Radeon-Rays library for all of the GPUs in Unity.
    I don't expect this anytime soon for developer friendly production because you need expensive Vega/RTX cards to create something in reasonable time and run it.

38. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The cost will fall quickly now there's more than one player :p

*whispers something about GDC and coughs*

Kridian and OCASM like this.
  39. konsic

konsic

Player?

You know something I don't?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  40. Ryiah

Ryiah

Market player. Google says it "refers to the companies or financial institutions involved in a particular market".

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    hippocoder likes this.
  41. neoshaman

neoshaman

More people providing the raytrace juice (ie bring hardware cost down)

Kridian and hippocoder like this.
  42. elbows

elbows

While waiting for Unity stuff to materialise, I decided to give various DXR RTX raytracing things a go using UE4. My expectations were not that high going in, but I was quite impressed, raytracing performance exceeded my expectations. I cant use that engine properly though so I wasnt exactly building wonderful scenes to try it with.

hippocoder and OCASM like this.
  43. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Quickly Unity act fast or elbows will give you the elbow.

Lex4art and elbows like this.
  44. elbows

elbows

They will have to be very slow indeed for that to happen :D

It is true that I got my arse into gear regarding getting my RTX setup working just before GDC with the hope that Unity show something relevant in their keynote and release a suitable alpha/beta editor within a reasonable timeframe. But for now so long as when I check the HDRP github I see raytracing branch activity happening a whole bunch including over this weekend, I really dont feel like complaining.

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/branches

hippocoder likes this.
  45. konsic

konsic

What I want to see in Unity is realtime GI with no precomputation but also preformant.

Kridian likes this.
  46. elbows

elbows

Perhaps I should qualify my 'I was quite impressed' comment too. My expectations were moderated from the start (the initial RTX announcement), and fell much lower when I saw the reaction to the first couple of games that made use of one or another RTX feature. So it wasnt that hard to beat those expectations. I also have the luxury of not making games using Unity, I can target high end systems and make GPU processing budget decisions that wouldnt fit most games well.

47. elbows

elbows

I still doubt that this generation of raytracing cards will really live up to the broadest interpretation of performant. There are no miracles here, and it is only thanks to denoising stuff that almost any of the features that raytracing offers can be claimed to be achievable in realtime now at all. And I'm not yet convinced that nvidias denoise stuff is quite as good as claimed.

Longer term I am pretty much already sold on being able to abandon a raft of traditional 'fake it' approaches used in realtime graphics, and instead 'do it properly' via raytracing. But for the foreseeable future there will still be big tradeoffs and decisions to make per project, and so I tend to assume that anyone expecting the sudden arrival of the realtime GI holy grail is likely to be disappointed. Its just a different option with different strengths and weaknesses. No matter how much people may hate the time taken to pre-compute and bake stuff, those sorts of solutions will still make the most sense for a lot of projects for quite some time to come. Some projects with a particular style and dynamic runtime scene creation that makes precomputing GI impossible will now have an option, but there will still be tradeoffs.

48. elbows

elbows

With all that said, I will be sort of surprised if Unity havent shown off a great looking demo within 24 hours.

At least while typing all these messages I have ended up adjusting my body clock to stay awake for the keynote on Monday night (I'm in the UK and keynote is at midnight here).

hippocoder likes this.
  49. neoshaman

neoshaman

Thery won't disapear, they will be updated to "acceleration structure"

50. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

I was looking if Intel was a new player in the GPU market sector (and if there is a OSPRay** for rendering introduction).
    Rumors and samples: We need to attend the graphics conference.

https://schedule.gdconf.com/search/intel
    • THE ARCHITECTURE OF INTEL PROCESSOR GRAPHICS GEN11 (PRESENTED BY INTEL)
    • Intel Open Image Denoise in Unity for Lightmaps (Presented by Unity and Intel)
    **OSPRay is open source and actually is not used in real-time.

other research: https://schedule.gdconf.com/search/GRAPHICS

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019