Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity and macOS 10.13 (High Sierra)

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Mantas-Puida, Jun 6, 2017.

1. protopop

protopop

I think we would all use the latest version of unity if we could. I mean who doesn’t want access to all the great new features :)

But the reality is most upgrades to unity break in production projects so It’s not practical for many people.

I just upgraded my project to unity 2017 and it was mostly ok. But it broke my fog setup, and more importantly River Auto Material doesn’t work in unity 2017 on iOS in deferred mode, with no fix in sight. I had no choice but to revert - and upgrading a 25gb project took almost half a day, so even testing new versions of unity with large projects can be a very time consuming process in itself.

I also have some JavaScript I still need to convert, not to mention legacy particle systems. So unity 2018.3, in addition to all the 2017 issues, is not even an available option until I address this.

All of these fixes take time away from game development, and in the case of RAMaterial there is no fix. So I have to find out how I can keep using my current production version of unity while still meeting new requirements by Apple for Xcode and os versions.

For sure it is keeping up with breaking updates by unity and Apple (see the current Titanium Moth bug that will not be fixed by either unity or Apple) that is by far the most challenging and disheartening aspect of game design for me as an iOS developer.

Thankfully this thread has pointed out that there are high Sierra options for earlier versions of unity, and that’s what’s most important to those of us who have to use unsupported unity versions.

dleight likes this.
  2. protopop

protopop

I finally updated to Unity 5.6.4p4 and High Sierra.

Everything is working. The only issue is i have a 25gb project folder, and for some reason High Sierra keeps reporting it as different size depending on what i'm doing.

It changed to say 1gb, then 6gb, then 23gb, then 17gb. There's no rhyme or reason.

When i copy a backup it says its copying 25gb , which is reassuring, but the folder on my external ssd will say whatever finder said at the time.

So i have a bunch of backups now that are bunch of different reported sizes, but all the same size internally.

It does not fill me with confidence, but the project still works, so im just going with it:)

Kronnect likes this.
  3. Kronnect

Kronnect

You're not alone.

protopop likes this.
  4. SmartDeveloper

SmartDeveloper

Hello,

What about Unity 4.7.2 because one of our project is in Unity 4.7.2 and its Vehicle Physics related project that cannot be upgraded to latest Unity version due to some physics problems in new Unity Physics. So is there any patch coming for Unity 4 ???

5. PrisedRabbit

PrisedRabbit

Just create a sparse bundle image in Disk Utility and mount it. Then move your Unity and project to disk image. All woks fine in my case.

6. SmartDeveloper

SmartDeveloper

Thanks a lot mrbroshkin. You solved my problem Now I am using SparseBundle Image.