Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity and macOS 10.13 (High Sierra)

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Mantas-Puida, Jun 6, 2017.

1. ryanreptoid

ryanreptoid

2017.3 has been fine, but I haven't done any iOS development (just Windows/Mac/Android).

2. mgear

mgear

installed 5.5.5p2 (by manually downloading the full installer, since download assistant fails to connect/download installers), but now trying to install ios support, it says "The Installation Failed" after Validating Packages step..

*well now it works, removed unity, reinstalled again, then without starting it first, installed ios package and it completed.

3. qops1981

qops1981

Hey All,

I have a question if our situation is related to a High Sierra issue.
    • Unity vers. 5.5.0p1
    • Disk Volume is HFS
    We are running into the Following scenario. Launching Unity without the "Library" Directory has Unity Pull in all assets from source and the Unity Cache Server. Everything from here works fine. The we close Unity and reopen it and a lot of our Assets became unlinked.

We checked and the files themselves do not change. We confirmed this with MD5 sums pre and post Secondary open. We checked the Console log for serialization issues and none were found. I also checked the logs for anything mentioning the assets by guid and again nothing found. What is causing on secondary open for the assets to become unlinked. Is it a High Sierra issue unrelated to APFS?

We can confirm on MacOS Previous to this version we are not experiencing this issue. This is certainly a big red flag on High Sierra, but we are looking for conformation OR a workaround if one exists.

UPDATE:
    It is possibly the interaction with our cache server in that when we open with out the Library folder and without a Cache Server it continues to operate normally. Then we we turn the cache server back on after having nuked the Library folder again, it goes back to the problem described above.

UPDATE:
    Evidence seems to indicate that the resources in the Cache Server were some how bad. They did not present any unusual activity in Unity on older versions of MacOS, but they did on High Sierra. We dropped the cache and rebuild from the High Sierra Unity and the cache files work on all platform.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  4. peterahou

peterahou

It looks like Xcode 9.3 requires High Sierra. Is it safe to upgrade now?

5. tessellation

tessellation

Seems to work well with 2017.3.1. Only issue for me seems to be increased "spotlight indexing" while Unity is running seems to unnecessary battery and CPU. Perhaps Unity is reading and writing to the file system constantly while it runs?

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You could use the privacy option for Spotlight to prevent it from indexing your projects.

--Eric

OwlBoy- and tessellation like this.
  7. zzzzzz789

zzzzzz789

Using macOS 10.13.4 and Unity 5.5.0p4

Had some issues creating a second HFS partition outside the main APFS Volume due to TimeMachine. Posting this incase anyone else runs into this.

First I was seeing the Disk Utility application crash on clicking the Partition button. This was the crash text:
    Assertion failed: (self.minimumSize <= totalSize), function -[SUPieSlice initWithPartition:startLocation:totalSpace:]

This was due to not having enough space to resize the container. Running this from terminal proved it:
    >diskutil apfs resizeContainer disk0s2 limits

The issue was Time Machine and local snapshots. In order to fix them, a combo of tmutil commands:

>tmutil listlocalsnapshots /
    com.apple.TimeMachine.2018-04-12-044213
    com.apple.TimeMachine.2018-04-12-054746
    com.apple.TimeMachine.2018-04-12-084156
    >tmutil thinlocalsnapshots / 1000000000000 1
    >tmutil listlocalsnapshots /
    com.apple.TimeMachine.2018-04-12-180111 (dataless)
    >sudo tmutil deletelocalsnapshots 2018-04-12-180111
    >sudo tmutil disable

I had to completely remove ALL localsnapshots. After this, partitioning worked, now I have a HFS partition for Unity5.5.0p4. This is the command I used to partition:
    sudo diskutil apfs resizeContainer disk0s2 235g jhfs+ HFS 15g

8. emorling

emorling

Any Mac, High Sierra, users able to install the 2018 Beta versions with IOS Build/Module Support? The install fails (right at the end), while testing on 2 separate MacBooks.

Any input is welcome

9. orb

orb

Works for me.

10. Ony

Ony

Today I got a 2017 iMac 27" for cross platform development (alongside my usual PC setup). I'll be starting a new project, not loading an older one. Literally just setting things up now, and haven't installed Unity. I'm still in the Apple updates phase.

It's asking if I want to update to High Sierra 10.13.4. As someone who has not used a Mac since 1992, I'm totally not familiar with all the ins-and outs yet. Should I go ahead and update while in this "new" phase?

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yes.

--Eric

Ony likes this.
  12. orb

orb

Wow, did the order take unusually long or something? Normally they come ready to use out of the box when I order. They even preload extra apps if you order something like Logic.

But yes, with macOS you want to move as far above the .0 as possible, as no .0 version ever is entirely there ;)
    (Also: Enable dark mode and use f.lux instead of the built-in night mode for late-night work!)

Lu4e and Ony like this.
  13. Ony

Ony

Thanks! Updated.

I got an Apple refurbished, made in June 2017. Good to know f.lux is on here since I use that on my PCs, too.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  14. atcjavad

atcjavad

Hi guys
    I faced to this error " e @interface for 'UIViewController' declares the selector 'setNeedsUpdateOfHomeIndicatorAutoHidden' "
    in xcode when i was executing My game , i checked by simple app but i couldnt be succeed , I dont know why .
    I used to VmWare Mac os High sierra 10.13 , I didnt have any problem before , But nowadays this problem is lost my time .
    i search in the Net , i Couldnt find any solution for this .

plz guide me
    Thx in advance

15. tataygames

tataygames

Men, I cant upload my new game on iOS now, saying Im using the old xcode 7.1, need xcode 9.0 and above, when I tried to install the latest xcode its says, Im running the old mac OS and this sierra OS, now Im trying to update the new iOs but I search first what will be the problems in unity, Im just using UNITY 5.1.1 lol, and upgrading to new o.s and xcode will create problems too to the entire projects and game that I have, IOS REVENUE for me is not that high, android revenue for me is really good, its like 93% revenue on android and 7% only on iOS, so I will not update this BULLSHIT AGAIN, that can ruin everything. iOS really is a pain in the ass to develop with, look on the xcode rating on the appstore, 2.6 rating only. they dont care on the pain developers will have. at the same time low revenue compare to android.

16. digitalThorns

digitalThorns

I'm running 2018.1.0f2 and I still have to manually refresh Unity to get it compile file changes. Is there any update on this issue?

17. tylearymf

tylearymf

How to fix the font display problem

18. tylearymf

tylearymf

I found a solution。
    GUI.skin.label.font = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath<Font>("Assets/MyFont.TTF");

19. zzzzzz789

zzzzzz789

Also for those unable to use MonoDevelop. I set my External Tools > External Script Editor to a newer MonoDevelop contained in a newer Unity (2017.4.1f1) and it worked again on my HFS partition (Project is using macOS 10.13.4 and Unity 5.5.0p4)

20. OwlBoy-

OwlBoy-

I use Unity 5.6.3.p1 with my project on an external USB HFS+ drive and have not run into issues yet.

21. GameDveloper09

GameDveloper09

is unity 4.6.9 is compatible with OS 10.13.6

22. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

If you're using multiple monitors one cause for MonoDevelop crashing is having the IDE open in a secondary monitor during previous session.
    In this case you don't need to remove all your preferences but instead edit MonoDevelopProperties.xml and remove the "bounds" property within the WorkbenchMemento node:

<Property key="bounds" value="-37, 162, 1920, 1020" />

23. tataygames

tataygames

Why does that f****ng apple doesnt care us developers, why do not care that many software will be affected and will not function well in that high sierra update, why do they make high sierra like that.

24. VIC20

VIC20

But we’ve got new emojis.

Thrawn75 likes this.
  25. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

They don't do it deliberately, they just don't make hacks for programs that relied on undocumented stuff that may or may not change with OS updates. (Although I expect they sometimes do mess up.) That happens with Windows too; I've seen many complaints about apps that don't work right with Windows 10. Anyway Unity works fine on High Sierra itself, just not with APFS. That is, older versions; newer versions were fixed to work with APFS. It may be mildly inconvenient, but just use a HFS partition or drive, and anything back to Unity 3.5 (and probably earlier) still works.

--Eric

26. tataygames

tataygames

Hi is really that possible?? so my destroyed unity 5.1 will work on HFS, do you know any tutorial to do it? sorry dont know anything about hfs, apfs

27. orb

orb

You don't need a tutorial to format a disk. Just grab any external drive and format it in Disk Utility.

28. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Or add a partition to your existing drive.

--Eric

29. tataygames

tataygames

Hi, but theres no hfs selection on my high sierra mac

Attached Files:

30. VIC20

VIC20

macOS extended is HFS

31. tataygames

tataygames

oh okay thanks

32. eelstork

eelstork

Well well well... dipping a toe in Mojave today as I never had anything but daily crashes (not exaggerating! daily daily daily, on both a MacBook and a MBP) with High Sierra. Let's see if I can get past the slo-mo editor syndrome.
    Still got an installer for the original Sierra in my fossil record. Will update when I figure something out.

33. eelstork

eelstork

Now using 2018.2.17f1 on Mojave (10.14.1); had to update the incremental compiler too. Used it long enough to confirm that my recurrent crashes have disappeared. Overall this has been the smoothest 2~3 hours of dev I had in a long long time; hoping it's going to stay this way.

Too early for loud applause but, if you can afford upgrading, give it a try? :)

[EDIT] One week passed; had 1 random crash on my main, larger project, and a repeatable crash on a toy project where I somehow angered the compiler. Mojave + Unity works for me.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    IvyKun and twitchfactor like this.
  34. IvyKun

IvyKun

Anyone else using Mojave right now? I read a lot about bad performance on Mojave and almost nothing good. Maybe everything is working fine now with 2018.3?

I want to update but I only use my mac to work and I work only with Unity, so I'm not doing if it's not working as good as High Sierra.

twitchfactor likes this.
  35. Yozaro

Yozaro

Haven't had any issues so far.

EDIT: Have been using 2018.2 and 2018.3.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    IvyKun likes this.
  36. HonorableDaniel

HonorableDaniel

Smooth sailing here. Haven't noticed any difference. 2017.4.

IvyKun likes this.
  37. IvyKun

IvyKun

I updated to Mojave yesterday, new year, new system. Everything looks fine with 2018.3. Yay!

eelstork likes this.
  38. zhoutianchi

zhoutianchi

wooo... This is a death loop for me.
    My project needs UntiyWebPlayer COM component and embedded in a WinForm application.
    So I need to use 5.3.8 or lower version of Unity.
    But my Mac OS version is Mojave 10.14.2.
    The 5.3.8 version of Unity on 10.14.2 MacOS alert "failed to load window layout" error and there is no fix patch or nice solution.
    So I need to update my Unity version to 5.5.0 or upper.
    But there is no UntiyWebPlayer on the 5.5.0 version of Unity.
    so0o0oo0ooo I'm so
    Give me some help guys.

39. zhoutianchi

zhoutianchi

Now I create a small partition of HFS+. and Test some version of unity to install on it.
    On my test. The "UntiyWebPlayer" version only 4.7.2 works. 5.x version have no fortune.
    So what's the hightest "UnitWebPlayer" version of unity could works on HFS+ partition and run on the Mojave?

40. mrbroshkin

mrbroshkin

Just created sprasebundle image, moved project and unity 5.4.5 to disk image and all works!

41. protopop

protopop

Is it safe to use Unity 5.6.4 patch 4 with High Sierra?

I upgaded to 5.6.6 but a few bugs mean i will regress to 5.6.4 again for now. But i am about to update to High Sierra so i want to have the highest 5.6.4 patch version thats guaranteed safe with the OS.

42. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Unity 5 (any version) works fine with High Sierra, as long as the file system is HFS+.

--Eric

protopop and Cromfeli like this.
  43. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

I can confirm (as I use it) Unity 5.5.4p5 and 5.6.4p3 work fine with High Sierra and APFS.

protopop likes this.
  44. protopop

protopop

Thank you:) I’ll make the switch to 5.6.4p3 - it should be the least disruptive since I’m in mid production

Thrawn75 likes this.
  45. protopop

protopop

That’s good to know. But doesn’t high Sierra use apfs by default? I mean isn’t that one of the big selling points of the OS?

wouldn’t using hfs+ under high Sierra involve steps some non technical designers are uncomfortable using, like disk partitions or command lines?

46. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Disk partitions are utterly trivial to make, no command lines or technical knowledge needed. Or use a disk image as mentioned above.

--Eric

47. protopop

protopop

Personally I’m not comfortable using disk partitions, but I do believe you that it’s trivial for many people to create and use them. And this does provide more useful info - to use unity 5.6.4p2 or lower (excluding the patched 5.5 versions) with high Sierra requires the use of a disk partition to be safe.

48. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It's literally like 3 clicks. ;) Have you ever actually used Disk Utility? Try it. Also, no, it doesn't require a disk partition. See above about disk images.

--Eric

protopop likes this.
  49. protopop

protopop

Please don’t kill me, but I don’t know what a disk image is.

I guess my point is that’s i would like to use unity safely without having to know how to use disk images or disk partitions. I’ve been fine to date without using either.

I know that they may be second hand to many, many people and basic and powerful technical tools. But I think that unity used to be more friendly to people like me who don’t have that knowledge built in.

And that’s fine if we need to learn disk images and such, and I believe you that once we learn it they are great tools and probably simple to implement.

But there is, bit by bit, the feeling that people like me may be left behind because we don’t know how to do these admittedly basic technical steps.

I appreciate the info about how disk images and partitions can make more versions of unity safe for high Sierra. I’ll go and learn more about disk partitions and images, and maybe I can use Xcode 10 without having to upgrade my current unity 5.6.4p1 production using one of these steps. It’s good to know these are options, and I’m really glad you pointed them out and took the time to explain them.

50. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You might be missing the fact that you're using no longer supported versions of Unity. They fixed the issue with APFS for supported versions.

--Eric

protopop likes this.