Search Unity

Unity and macOS 10.13 (High Sierra)

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Mantas-Puida, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

I believe all the major issues are already fixed in latest 5.6.x, 2017.1.x, 2017.2.x patch releases (I'm using it everyday on my machine). If you encounter MonoDevelop issues, I recommend moving to Visual Studio for Mac, as it will be replacing MonoDevelop in future versions of Unity. I will update main post early next week.

mcarriere and OwlBoy- like this.
  2. dVillar_16

dVillar_16

Hello,
    I've been following this thread; however, I still encounter freezing and restart of my laptop.
    I have:
    1. Unity 2017.2.03f (downloaded yesterday)
    2. macOS High Sierra 10.13.1

Unity shows an Editor warning: Metal support disabled, skipping device initialization.
    Before my computer suddenly freezes/restarts when I am using Unity, Unity itself is super slow. Just loading a default sphere onto the scene causes the software to freeze and the Game panel is not showing anything but a dark gray screen.
    This did not happen until I upgraded to High Sierra. I also attempted to run it on a partitioned hard drive, but it is still slow (although I haven't experienced a sudden laptop restart yet).

Any help is much appreciated.
    - D

3. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Please try 2017.2.0patch4: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases?version=2017.2

4. KeithKong

KeithKong

Not sure if this is directly related but after updating to High Sierra and updating MonoDevelop all my internal methods in MonoBehaviour's are no longer accessible to scripts in the same assembly. Is this no longer supported?

5. ecurtz

ecurtz

As vital as the Unity Gear Store obviously is, maybe this thread should be listed in the little important topics bar at the top of the forum?

protopop and peteforde like this.
  6. joe_04_04

joe_04_04

Visual Studio for Mac will replace MonoDevelop? Curious, what are the reasons for this?

7. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Basically it's most up to date product of the same line: MonoDevelop -> Xamarin Studio -> Visual Studio for Mac

MrEsquire likes this.
  8. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

What build will we see the change happen in?

9. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Updated leading post with most up to date information summary.

10. devluz

devluz

11. The_Arrival

The_Arrival

Hello...

i have the "Blank Project Window" Issue on a Unity 5.5.0f3 Project using HighSierra 10.13.1

Is there a patch for this Unityversion available?

It´s a Google Cardboardproject using the CardboardSDK (Version 1.10 if i recall correctly) When i started this Project we had issues finding a working Unity/SDK/Assetstore-Assets combination which work together and had all our needed features Bug-free (things like spartial audio), so we ended up with Unity 5.5.0f3

So "simply" upgrading Unity to a newer version might not be the easy fix here

12. Krstn

Krstn

Hello

I cannot add Unity IAP when running Unity 2017.1p4 (p3, p2, f1) on High Sierra. Tried on several computers, nada. On El Capitan it works fine.
    After adding the IAP the import hangs the Editor and that's it.

Any details on this?

P.s.
    Addint Unity IAP on El Capitain computer, commiting to git, pulling on High Sierra and running the project again results in a hanging Unity Editor.

13. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

There will be blogpost on this soon.

14. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Please submit a bugreport.

15. peteforde

peteforde

I hope that your blog post also contains an apology. Institutionally, Unity really left the Mac base in the cold on this for months and a lot of developers have suffered for it.

protopop and Muckel like this.
  16. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Visual Studio for Mac is probably the single worst IDE on Mac right now :( Are we going to be forced to use this in the future for some reason, or can we continue to use our own external editors such as Rider, VSCode, Xamarin, etc?

Muckel and Damjan-Mozetic like this.
  17. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

If it would be forced for some reason than that reason would be Microsoft wanting more market share of VS and unity getting a deal out of it.

can't see any other reason. So I guess it won't be forced, and we can still add the external editor in the preferences.

18. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

It's only about what is bundled by default with Unity, you still can use any IDE you actually prefer.
    P.S. Microsoft bought Xamarin and Visual Studio for Mac is actually based on Xamarin Studio + a lot of improvements on top.

19. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Yeah which is why Xamarin went downhill :( It used to be nice and lightweight, now it is getting as bloated as Visual Studio. So sad :(

Muckel and Damjan-Mozetic like this.
  20. monark

monark

I'm getting massive issues with High Sierra and network shares using smb, is this a known issue and are there are fixes for it?
    Basically when I open a project from a server using smb the connection to the server is lost and the project fails to open 99% of the time.

21. devluz

devluz

Just an update from my side: XCode 9.2 not Mac OS 10.13 (likely 9 already) breaks iOS unit tests. Reinstalling xcode 8.8.3 in another folder + switch the used folder with
    sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode8.3.3.app/
    fixes the issue.

22. monark

monark

Trying out Acronis on our Windows server, that seems to fix the issue for me by implementing afp sharing protocols.

23. dusoft

dusoft

Somebody test the new Unity 2013.3 and the compatiblity with macOS High Sierra ?

24. orb

orb

No explosions yet.

25. gWiiver

gWiiver

Do you mean 2017.3 ?

26. dusoft

dusoft

Yes.. 2017.3 ! All works fine?

27. orb

orb

I haven't tried all the thousands of things, but so far I've only seen some strange warnings while upgrading projects.

28. ina

ina

2017.3.0 should be fine for High Sierra right? (I notice it is not listed...)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  29. eelstork

eelstork

Brutally, wiped everything out. All projects in version control, and re-install software on a need basis to avoid starting with a lot of cruft.
    I know this isn't the answer most may be looking for but version control, cloud files and removable media (for backing up important projects) are a stable, reliable solution that also works if Jabba the Hutt happen to step on your laptop.

ina likes this.
  30. bobenko

bobenko

Hello, any chance I can make Unity 5.2.2p4 to work somehow on HighSierra? Tried installing unity on HFS+ partition, didn't help, I'm constantly getting `Failed to load window layout` dialog, clicking any of the options doesn't help

31. mcarriere

mcarriere

From the OP:

There will be no Unity 5.4.x fixes for High Sierra, you have to either keep your machines on macOS 10.12 or upgrade your project to Unity 5.5.x and later. In general 5.4.x and older Unity versions might work with High Sierra on HFS+ disk, but it should be considered as last resort workaround if you have to use older Unity versions on new OS.
    So: probably not.

32. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

33. garza

garza

Any Updates on this?

34. tessellation

tessellation

I have the latest 10.13.2 and SMB connections basically hang the system and force a reboot. Unusable and broken. Some forums have suggested using an alternative to smb, cifs://server-name You could try that. Might be slower.

As a side note, I get other problems with High Sierra and Unity, for example 'mdworker' (Spotlight indexer) works like crazy whenever Unity is running, consuming CPU. I've tried resetting the index but that doesn't help. Only solution is to turn it off, which isn't acceptable. Been like this for weeks. New OS file system has a lot of kinks to be worked out.

andersemil likes this.
  35. cphartman

cphartman

Curious if you've done any builds to iOS since your upgrade.

My Unity 2017.3.0p1 + OSX 10.13 + XCODE 9.2 works just fine in Unity, but I cannot build to iOS. Just results in all sorts of crashes that never existed before.

36. rickWT

rickWT

Quick random question:

I have to upgrade to MacOS High Sierra at work today and we're running Unity 2014.1.1f1. If I patch Unity to 2014.1.2p4, will that block others who haven't patched Unity yet from opening the project?

Sorry, I've never patched Unity, just did full updates (I don't know how patches affect builds).

37. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Patches are no different from full updates, in that they are both work the same way. They're merely labeled as patches since they haven't had the full QA. But otherwise they're just regular updates.

--Eric

38. rickWT

rickWT

Thanks @Eric5h5

Good to know. Going to IT to tell them we need wait (also since Adobe apps have issues with High Sierra). We're close to shipping so why update and change a bug.

39. x4000

x4000

What exactly is the expected impact on users with this? I'm having reports of some of my older titles, some of which are on Unity 4.x, having trouble with high sierra. I had one on 5.4x that was having an issue, which we then updated to 2017.1p4 and hopefully that is in a working range.

For my very latest stuff, I'm split between 2017.3 and 2017.1. I'm not developing on OSX, but I'm concerned about users. We're reading some files from disk using WWW in the case of all our projects, and it looks like that might have some issues?

40. monark

monark

We've had to resort to installing Acronis on our server to solve the problem, nothing else seemed to work.

41. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

Just wanted to chime in that I updated to High Sierra (and APFS) on a 2017 MacBook Pro and Unity 5.6.4 works well without any issues.

protopop likes this.
  42. digitalThorns

digitalThorns

Any updates? I'm running 2017.3f3, dual monitors, APFS, & Rider. Unity still doesn't recognize script changes. I have to manually refresh to trigger a recompile.

43. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

What is your bugreport number?

44. SpingDeveloper

SpingDeveloper

I have constant freezes when doing editor stuffs in Unity3D 2017.3.0f3 (clean install) on High Sierra unfortunately :(

It's kinda unworkable at the moment for me in the editor :(

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  45. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Were these freezes happening before upgrading to High Sierra?
    Also could you please try latest 2017.3.1p1 patch release: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases?version=2017.3

46. SpingDeveloper

SpingDeveloper

I don't think it freezed as often as it does now. I'm using a multi-monitor setup (when switching to single monitor it seems to reduce the freezes). I updated to 2017.3.1p1 but the freezing is still happening

47. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Please submit a bugreport with detailed explanation of your setup. Thanks!

48. SpingDeveloper

SpingDeveloper

Will do :)

49. rew2402

rew2402

Have you tried Unity 2017.3 (the latest patch) yet?

I am having the same issues as you. so many build errors that have practically made it impossible for me test anything for iOS devices. I have been using sample codes from Unity, and other online tutorials and no one in their forum have had such issues. ARkit remote doesn't work either. have submitted the bug report(s) as well, but received no response.

Running Unity 2017.3 on Mac Pro 2017 (maxed out specification) - High Sierra. :(

50. scprotz

scprotz

I'm not sure where to ask this, so I'll start here. I have 2017.3.1f1. on a MBP mid-2014. I can create and work on projects just fine. I can run the player just fine. If I export it to an App, it crashes. One test I did was run it on another account on the SAME Mac and on that account it ran fine.

I uninstalled (completely) the app and reinstalled. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I also looked at the logs and will be happy to provide any details. If I run from command line it gives a Trap 6 error. If I look in the player logs it says `No valid pixelFormats set'

I did this with a simple 3d project (no extras, just created a new 3d project, ran play mode - worked fine, exported to app and crashes).