Search Unity

Unity and macOS 10.13 (High Sierra)

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Mantas-Puida, Jun 6, 2017.

1. peteforde

peteforde

@joe_04_04 I think that it will currently work so long as you don't upgrade to APFS, but that hasn't been confirmed because the mods are ignoring this thread. APFS is one of the key technology advances in High Sierra so this is all kind of irritating. There are reports of MonoDevelop not working for example.

The real fun begins when Unity developers start automatically upgrading and clicking Ok to upgrade their file system, only to realize that they've exploded Unity and the company is silent about it.

2. joe_04_04

joe_04_04

Well, I didn't think I had a choice. I run a MacBook Pro with a solid state drive, so I figured it would automatically upgrade to APFS.

I wonder why Unity hasn't made a comment about this yet.

3. peteforde

peteforde

@joe_04_04 I wish I knew what to tell you. It's surreal to me that High Sierra is now out and presumably a huge % of their dev base are currently unable to work.

4. captainfrogduh

captainfrogduh

For people who updated to High Sierra and using old versions of Unity (Im using 5.5.3) just make a sparse disk image - Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using Disk Utility mount the image in Finder copy your installation of Unity from Applications and your projects into this new disk image. Run Unity and your projects from this new location. Have fun :D

5. ppixu

ppixu

Anyone else having problems modifying animation curves in prefabs on Unity 2017 & High Sierra? It seems they don't update at all.

6. 0rd0

0rd0

As one of those developers I am wondering what are the chances that we will get an APFS-compatible Unity update in the near future. Otherwise it looks that I might have to start repartitioning my disks now.

7. sbryfcz

sbryfcz

Wow. I cant believe that I am completely stopped from working now. I even put the latest beta on a new partition. For me, my game will run once. But if I try to run it again, it will crash. Really hope this is resolved soon.

8. cruelbob

cruelbob

Any news? Problem is known for about 3 months. I have updated system to 10.13 and now my unity5.6.2 doesn't see any project files. Is there any unity version higher than 5.6.2 supporting osx 10.13?

9. User340

User340

Do you have any better luck with 2017.1?

10. SimonOliver

SimonOliver

I was looking into this before upgrading - I think this has been resolved in the latest patch releases? Unity 5.6.2p1 lists

"OSX: Apple File System (APFS) compatibility fix"

https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases/5.6.2p1

I only saw this from a japanese helpdesk page here - https://helpdesk.unity3d.co.jp/hc/ja/articles/115012768187

which seems to suggest:
    I've not tried them though - waiting for the dust to settle before transitioning to APFS

11. sbryfcz

sbryfcz

I've tried 2017.1 with no luck.

12. Zahorodnii

Zahorodnii

Thanks!
    Tried to install Unity 5.6.2p1 and now it see all my assets again. But... Visual Studio for Mac and MonoDeveloper still doesn't loads scripts. So only downgrade can solve this problem for me. Don't have time to wait...

UPD: Oh, man. It works! Tried to load my solution few times again and Visual Studio for Mac show all my scripts. Superb! Hope it will be work yesterday... :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  13. Skyler_Hawkins

Skyler_Hawkins

I updated to High Sierra and now have this problem... I didn't hear of any problems before, I really wish that maybe Unity would have sent an email to everyone to let them know they discovered a problem months ago....

I'm currently in 2017.1.1f1 is there something I can do?

YHX2000 and paxinos like this.
  14. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  15. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Yes, 10.13 is supported, but you should be on latest patch release of corresponding 5.5.x / 5.6.x / 2017.x.y patch release.

Randy-Edmonds likes this.
  16. peteforde

peteforde

@Mantas-Puida finally someone from Unity is noticing this thread.

Can you please confirm that the current patch release supports APFS without having to create sparsebundles or other hacky workarounds?

17. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

I just tried Unity Editor version 2017.1.1p3 on macOS 10.13 with APFS volume and it worked fine.

Randy-Edmonds, User340 and peteforde like this.
  18. bzmglfs

bzmglfs

I have no problem with the latest Unity Editor *2017.1.1f1, but MonoDevelop won't even open and says it's quit unexpectedly.

19. peteforde

peteforde

20. jamanjeval

jamanjeval

@Mantas-Puida MonoDevelop-Unity is also crashing for me. Unity 2017.1.1f1

I can post/send the crash report if that helps.

UPDATE: I switched external tools > external editor to Visual Studio for Mac (7.0.1 build 24) and it does not crash

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  21. chaseholton

chaseholton

So, if I am reading all of this correctly, with Unity 2017.1.1p3 and MacOS 10.13, I should be fine? I do use MonoDevelop, though. Should I just hold off? Haha, I really want to check this all out because I've been waiting for the new APFS and improving my file management, but definitely not worth upgrading if we have a catastrophe on our hands!!

22. peteforde

peteforde

@chaseholton I would hold off unless you're fine with switching to Visual Studio for Mac.

23. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

MonoDevelop was fixed in 2017.1.1 patch 1, which is newer than 2017.1.1f1.

P.S. we just received bugreport about Unity sometimes hanging up after saving scene and re-opening project on 10.13. At the moment we are not yet sure if 10.13 is the cause, but if you are not in a hurry, better wait before updating to 10.13.

24. xconn

xconn

I just have upgraded to macOS 10.13 High Sierra. And It caused Unity to extremely unstable. Whenever I open my project (it works very fine in macOS 10.12), all system goes to hang up with 50% chance. I should reboot. So, I installed patch version 2017.1.1p3. but, it was no effect and all system still hang up. Please, fix it up as soon as possible, Unity Team. It is very critical and serious problem.

25. snega

snega

I just updated to 2017.1.1p1, but MonoDevelop still crash...

26. PlumpyIG

PlumpyIG

I did the update yesterday as well and had also all described problems of this thread.

What worked for me was creating a partition with the old file system type (Mac OS Extended Journaled) and installing Unity on it besides my project.
    I hope this tip helps someone.

27. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Could you please submit a bugreport? Having your system details might help.

P.S. btw, do you have integrated Cache Server enabled?

28. bzmglfs

bzmglfs

Thanks @Mantas-Puida, I'm able to run Monodevelop with 2017.1.1p3

29. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Sorry for confusion, our internal release notes had wrong release number attributed for this fix. According to test on my machine you need at least 2017.1.1 patch 2, but in general if you need some patch it's better to stay on latest patch release, which in this case is patch 3.

30. xconn

xconn

@Mantas-Puida, Ok, I will submit bug report. And Yes, I use integrated Cache Server (Cache Server Mode : Local)

31. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Could you try turning it off and see if it helps with stability opening project?

32. Abatuf

Abatuf

I have 5.5.4f1 and 2017.1.1f1, both fails on high sierra release, created hfs volume with project and unity itself - no luck. Can't do work anymore, any suggestions?

33. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Could you please list issues you see with each of these versions?

P.S. both of your versions aren't latest patch releases, so they might be missing some of the fixes, like Monodevelop one. You can find latest patch releases here: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

34. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

I've just tested this on my laptop and it also happened here.
    1. opened a project otherwise looking fine
    2. added an empty game object and saved
    3. opened another project, it was an older project so it's upgraded
    4. Tried to open project at #1 and Unity hangs while opening project
    5. Now Unity hangs while opening both projects at #1 and #3, only option is to force quit.

That might help:
    6. Both projects can open after a reboot.

* Unity 5.6.3p4
    * MacOS 10.13
    * Macbook Pro (15-inch, 2016)

Edit: I'm not sure if that's triggered by save. Simply opening both projects back to back also caused the hang-up.

35. ctc5301

ctc5301

I've tried Unity 2017.1 / 2017.2 / 2017.3, they all crashed my Mac 10.13 system when opening a project. Since I can't proceed my job and have no clue how to solve this problem, I removed all preferences manually (from ~/Library/Preferences). The Unity works finally. Then I switched the cache server mode from disable to local in Unity editor. Suddenly, the Unity editor crashed my Mac system again. It is now obvious, the cache server doesn't seem to work with APFS.

36. aimatme

aimatme

Welcome to the High Sierra club

Tested and hangs with Unity versions:
    • 5.6.3f1
    • 5.6.3p4
    • 2017.1.1f1
    • 2017.3.0b2
    While opening small projects (with code files only) everything is ok.
    While opening work projects (4+ GB) mac os high sierra 10.13 always hangs on "calculating asset hashes" (only hard reboot helps)

As ctc5301 said before, you all need to start unity editor (with new or small project), and DISABLE Cache Server. After that Unity works fine. Also you can remove preferences, mentioned in previous ctc5301 post.

37. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Curious thing, to anyone with a problem.

Can you try turning off your wi-fi and launching unity with offline mode?

I've just experienced same launch lock-up on my production machine which was running on Sierra. I couldn't launch the project I was working on for weeks without any problems. After few force quits I've decided to try it offline and the project opens perfectly every time when I'm offline, when I enable wi-fi it locks up.

Btw, I'm not using cache server (local or remote)

So it looks like lock up caused by a remote server check (license?) by Unity?

38. Abatuf

Abatuf

making the 5.5.4 is more important for me now i will start with it:
    While opening a project(large project) unity shows "Compiling scripts", it hangs with progress bar at center and after this unity can be observed in activity monitor as "not responding". Project and unity are both stored on hfs+ volume

update: looks like after some joking around (deleted scripts assemblies from library) project finally opened

39. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

I've just tried this on my High Sierra machine with the same projects I've posted above.

1. Open project, opened ok
    2. Open same project, hangs
    3. Turned of wi-fi, unity goes offline mode at next launch
    4. Opened different projects, back to back, saved, re-opened, etc. all OK
    5. Turned wi-fi back on (unity still in offline mode btw, I did not logged in)
    6. Opened first project, which was opening fine moments ago, hangs spinning beach ball until force quit.

So, I'm pretty sure that's caused by a Unity check when you're online. it doesn't matter if unity is on offline mode or not, as long as you have internet connection it seems to hang.

40. Skyler_Hawkins

Skyler_Hawkins

Can you confirm that Monodevelop will actually open with this patch Patch 2017.1.1p3?

41. Abatuf

Abatuf

My projects seems to work now(with things like need to delete script assemblies if it stops working), but monodevelop fails to open even from hfs+ volume

42. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Works on my machine (TM) :) while patch 1 was still crashing, so it's pretty good indicator

43. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

This is part of wider outage / hangs we are seeing across multiple platforms (including Windows). High Sierra might be making it happen more often, but it isn't the root cause. As you noticed current workaround is to disable networking while launching Unity or putting "127.0.0.1 update.unity3d.com" to your /etc/hosts file, but it's not recommended as might be easily forgotten to remove.

PixelEnvision likes this.
  44. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Monodevelop was fixed in 5.5.4 patch 4, so you are slightly behind. This crash is not related to APFS, but rather UI handling, so moving to other partition won't help, you just need to get more recent patch.

45. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

@Mantas-Puida

I'm using two monitors and it looks like moving Monodevelop to 2nd monitor causes a crash on High Sierra, that's with Unity 5.6.3p4

With clean Monodevelop settings (Preferences/MonoDevelop-Unity-5.0 folder deleted)

1. Open Monodevelop and it works fine, close and open it as needed, no problems. By default it opens on main monitor.
    2. Move Monodevelop to 2nd monitor & close it.
    3. Open Monodevelop and it crashes
    4. Cleanin settings files allows it to run and keep running as long as it's on main monitor.

Edit: It doesn't matter if "displays have separate spaces" checked.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    lukos and shavemadox like this.
  46. ellivlum

ellivlum

I've updated to 2017.1.1p3, and Unity is crashing a lot. Something as simple as adding a 3D plane, then renaming it will cause it to crash. It's actually crashed my Mac twice now. Is there any other patch out that will work? Pretty disappointed that these issues have been known about for some time, but no communication was received regarding the potential instability.

47. GainfulSage

GainfulSage

Updated to High Sierra. SSD was automatically updated to APFS. Had Unity 2017.1.1f1 installed. MonoDevelop was crashing on launch, and was also unable to attach the Visual Studio debugger to a Hello World level project. Installing 2017.1.1p3, built-in MonoDevelop worked and was able to attach debugger.

48. xconn

xconn

@Mantas-Puida, As you suggested, I disabled cache server, and now unity isn't hang up anymore till now. (Unity 2017.1.1p3). Thanks.

49. ctc5301

ctc5301

In my case, I didn't do the clean install to High Sierra. When updated to High Sierra, I found the update brought other problems in Mac OS. For example, Finder became unstable. Clean up all the preferences makes my system super smooth. Since that, I didn't encounter other problem except the cache server setting.

50. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Great!