Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Unity and Lion - They play nice, right?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mehware, Jul 20, 2011.

1. mehware

mehware

Mac OS X Lion Comes out tomorrow, will Unity play nice with it? Or should I wait to update my OS on my iMac. Can't lose Unity :p

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No they don't play nice if you read the forums, you'll have to search. Someone had problems recently.

3. mehware

mehware

Sorry i just did a quick ctrl-f on the gossip, typed Lion and didn't see anything recent, next time i'll use the search feature :p

- Matt

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You should wait to update anyway...10.7.1 at the earliest. Let other people deal with the 10.7.0 bugs.

--Eric

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm not telling you off for not using search, I'm just pointing out what I remembered and that I'm too tired to do a quick search for where it was :)

6. mehware

mehware

No worries, sticking with Snow Leopard for now :D

7. CkSned

CkSned

So what problems does lion cause ? Don't really want to buy it if its gonna stop me from working on games :/

8. SteveJ

SteveJ

My understanding is that it's just the activation problem after installing Unity. Is that right? And if that's the case, that shouldn't be a problem when upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion right? Because Unity will already be installed and activated.

Does anyone know if there are any problems running Unity under Lion beyond the activation issue?

9. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Well, Lion is out now.... wonder if anyone is going to cross their fingers and give it a go today?!

10. iossif

iossif

i wait for more reports. don't want to risk a few days of development for the upgrade :p please tell us more if you were brave enough.

11. lucian3011

lucian3011

I upgraded to Lion this morning. Unity is working fine, and so are my game builds, both the old ones and the one I built today post-upgrade.

All systems are go over here.

Note that I'm not using Unity iOS with Xcode 4 yet, and can't say anything about that.

And Lion is a really nice upgrade, btw. Lots of extra polish besides the advertised new features. I'm very pleased so far.

12. Kith

Kith

Gah, I guess I'ma be the Guinea Pig...I wish I weren't so weak-willed lol

Edit: I know the commenter above said that it would work, but I need to know if Unity iOS and Xcode will still work together. *Fingers Crossed*

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  13. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

If you are having to 'cross the fingers' don't do it. You will be cutting those fingers off if it all goes breasts up! That said, if you have a spare Mac dev machine up your sleeve or are not in the middle of a project, go for it!

14. Kith

Kith

No worries. The only reason I'm ok doing this is because I have my computer, in it's entirety and current state, backed up and ready. Worst case scenario is I have to restore the hard drive and reinstall snow leopard. Sure, it'd be a day without my computer...but I should really get out more anyways lol

15. drewradley

drewradley

Did all these cat named Mac OS start out with "Feeble Kitten"?

16. Kith

Kith

So I've been messing around with Lion and Unity 3.3 for about an hour now, and everything seems to be working fine. I've been able to Build, Build and Run, and compile a game onto my iPhone. Working fine for me :)

17. tnaseem

tnaseem

Thanks for taking the plunge Kith :)

I think I'll do the same now too, being the coward I am and having waited until someone else had done it :)

I presume you're running XCode 4.1 now too?

18. Kith

Kith

I'm downloading Xcode 4.1, so that I'm not too sure about yet. As soon as I download and find out, I'll post again.

19. SteveJ

SteveJ

Thanks for taking the bullet on this one guys :)

I'm going to upgrade tonight.

20. iossif

iossif

thanks alot for the testing :)

21. minevr

minevr

Oh....That's so nice?

22. Kith

Kith

Alright, so I downloaded 4.1, and Built my game. I was able to run it and install it just fine, however I am getting a few hundred Mach_O Linker Warnings. Not sure what that is about, but I do remember reading something about that with Xcode 4.x. I was still using 3 before this, and I had no warning before. The game compiled just fine though, so it seems to be working perfectly.

23. Dreamora

Dreamora

that warnings are normal with the 4.3 SDK - XCode 4 on Unity 3.3

24. Kith

Kith

Alright, so then it seems to me that Lion and Xcode 4.1 are perfectly happy with Unity 3.3

25. tnaseem

tnaseem

Upgraded to OSX Lion now.

Tried a Build Run with my existing Xcode 4.0.2; But it's complaining that I need to upgrade it to a Lion compatible version. If I hit continue, it crashes.

Updating Xcode 4.1 now from the Mac App store... 17 hours for the download! grrr...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  26. c-Row

c-Row

Can't report on XCode, but the latest version of Unity works fine on Lion for me as well.

27. MrDude

MrDude

Is this now confirmed? Unity and Lion are compatible? I have been waiting for Lion but now that it is here I don't want to install it if Unity is not going to work. I need webplayer build only for now. So......? Working?

28. tnaseem

tnaseem

Finally got Xcode 4.1 installed after much shenanigans, and happy to report Unity 3.3 with Unity iOS work fine. Just did a Build and Run and everything worked okay on my iOS devices.

MrDude, just checked the Webplayer Build for you too, and that works fine.

29. LimeSplice

LimeSplice

This is like standing on the edge of a huge cliff, watching your mates jump off into the ocean and waiting to see if their head pops up from the water below

30. CrazyIwan

CrazyIwan

I've got Lion and Xcode 4.1 too. All works fine here. But all of you who work in SAMBA Network, Lion doesn't support this anymore.
    Now i have to update my NAS at home and work.

31. Kith

Kith

Lol well said. But heads are popping up, so it seems safe.

32. tnaseem

tnaseem

SAMBA works fine! I can hook up to my Samba shares on my Ubuntu server just like before.

Are you sure you have it enabled in 'Sharing' in the System Prefs? Tick File Sharing, then click on 'Options...'. It's in there.

33. haggis

haggis

lol I jumped last night. Treading water at the moment - hopefully swimming by tomorrow.

Downloaded and installed Lion over night and working fine with Unity, photoshop etc this morning. Going to have to wait and download Xcode 4.1 over night tonight (slow network!).

34. PeterB

PeterB

No problems here with Lion. Works perfectly.

35. CraigF

CraigF

... but MonoDevelop doesn't work with lion yet? What are you all using to write script? (on mac)

36. CrazyIwan

CrazyIwan

thanks tnaseem. I can share my folders with samba, but i cant access my NAS with samba. Only AFP. Thats odd.

P.S: @CraigF
    MonoDevelop works fine by me.

37. iossif

iossif

i can report that everything works fine after the updates. i also only get ~200 warnings in xcode instead of 999+ before :D

@craigf: i use unitron or textmate to script. they are not as powerful as monodevelop but i like them more

38. DarkJedi

DarkJedi

I am experiencing issues with Lion and Unity, though it's a quirk with my workflow.

I use a separate Windows box with Visual Studio to edit the scripts directly in the Unity Project folder on the Mac, across the network.

I am finding that every file I edit has a strong chance of some replicated lines being inserted at the end of the file.
    I then have to open up the file in an editor Mac side to remove the junk...

I am guessing this is a side effect of Lion's new file versioning perhaps - but I'd certainly advise anyone who edits project assets across the network like this to be wary!

39. Kith

Kith

Ah, well I can't comment on that unfortunately. And I'm not experiencing any issues with Monodevelop on Lion.

40. Curious

Curious

Thanks everyone, I didn't know Lion was release, I'm going to upgrade tonight, cheers :)

Guys, anyone tried the plug-in compatibilities? SM2? iOS plug-ins? Prime31 anyone?

41. Kith

Kith

I can vouch for Prime31's Game Center plugin. It works fine for me. I don't know about anything else though.

42. FierceForm

FierceForm

Works fine for me... But I already had an activation.

43. 3Duaun

3Duaun

I've heard of potential major issues with monodevelop in lion, in fact, the mono team announced it themselves. Its odd that some users are reporting no issues with monodevelop, and on twitter there are a number of unity devs reporting big monodevelop issues.
    http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2011/Jul-20.html

sounds like its hit or miss on an individual basis for the monodevelop+unity devs. I hope 3.4 has this issue in mind, if its possible for Unity to assist in the fix needed to make monodevelop work on lion.

44. FierceForm

FierceForm

Unity version of MonoDevelop works fine for me. (Haven't tried debugging)

45. haggis

haggis

All running well.... Lion, Unity3.3, iOS4.3.4 and Xcode4.1 Showing only 200 warning but it looks like there is a 200 warnings limit so probably still the same 1200 or so warnings I had before.

46. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

Plugins and extensions used
    Prime31 - Game Center
    Prime31 - NectarSync
    Prime31 - Etc. 1
    EZgui
    Sprite manager2
    custom font (editor file) from wiki

note
    I did get that PlayerLoop called recursively error when i first fired up unity but it cleared with no problems. Stuff like that always pops up on me (even before lion)

47. ibyte

ibyte

I have upgraded to Lion. Things were always hit and miss for me with monodevelop when it came to co-routines. Now today my monodevelop is consistently crashing after stopping on a break point in a IENumerator and trying to inspect any variables.

YMMV.

iByte

.ps Debug.Log to save the day :(

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  48. LimeSplice

LimeSplice

*JUMPS* Geronimo!

49. LimeSplice

LimeSplice

I've installed Lion and so far everything looks good.

If you run any Photoshop CS5 Apps, be warned that you need to install latest Java as it's NOT included in Lion. Do so before trying to open any of these programs.

However, I did have a font issue going on since install, with missing fonts on web pages. To resolve this, refer to http://bencollier.net/2011/07/missing-fonts-in-mac-os-x-lion-10-7/

50. SteveJ

SteveJ

I'm now finding that Unity 3.3 crashes a lot running on Lion. Seems to happen fairly randomly, but it's always when I'm zooming or rotating in the scene view. It's happened to me three times today in a 6 hour work session.