Search Unity

Unity and Linux!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by c0ppo, Dec 18, 2018.

1. c0ppo

c0ppo

Greetings,

I just sold my MBP, and currently, I'm using one really old laptop, but ordered X1 Extreme from Lenovo.
    Since I'm really not a big fan of Windows, I want to try out Linux. Tried a few distros 6 months ago, and really liked Manjaro. But even then Unity editor wouldn't scale properly on 2k screen (X1C thinkpad).

My X1E will have 'just' a Full HD screen. Is it worth a hassle to install Manjaro all over again? Except scalling issues on Linux, how is Unity Editor in general? Are there downsides to using Unity with Linux? Or should I just stick with Windows and call it a day?

I'm asking people with experience, since I lack any on using Unity on Linux.
    I'm not doing any AAA titles, or anything near that. Just a hobbyist who wants to run Unity and tinker around. I would love to use Unity on Linux, but if it's gonna cause me issues, I will skip installing Linux completely and just stick with Windows.

Any advice would be more then great :)

2. Billbot

Billbot

I’m having the same scaling issue with the editor. Font way too small. I’m on Ubuntu 18.04 on my thinkpad x1 yoga with a 2K display.

3. mageaster

mageaster

Doesn't it depend on support of HiDPI in the environment? There is a topic around here, in which this issue is discussed.

4. c0ppo

c0ppo

I'm not interested in just HiDPI. I'm asking about differences between Linux and Windows versions (besides support for HiDPI)?

Are they the same? Any bugs that Linux version has, but windows one doesn't?

Can I use and rely on Linux version just like I can on Windows version?

5. mageaster

mageaster

Well... In some cases it may be even more reliable. To say about new 2018.3.0f2: I've seen some issues from win users: one has no Package Manager UI, second one has just blank white screen instead of UI. On my side all seem to work on my laptop except SRP: LWRP looks weird (and AFAIK it doesn't work on Linux properly), HDRP requires Vulkan, which is not supported by my videocard.

But I'm not very representative, I have no Windows on my PCs for about 10 years.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  6. senkal_

senkal_

Hi

Definitely if you have an idea to develop something for mobile there are some issues.
    As far as I know Unity Remote is not supported on Linux.
    On top of that I have feeling that, while testing something on mobile device, on Linux everything is less stable(freezes are common, especially when profiling).
    It also happens on Windows for me but it is much less frequent.

In general Unity updates introduce more regressions, mostly in UI area. At least that is my subjective feeling base on my personal experience and forum topics after new releases on Windows vs Linux.

As for desktop, I have seen topics on this forum when some users complain about high/advanced GPU features not working completely on Linux, so really depends what is your target.

There are also good things.
    Apart from Unity Remote I didn't observe yet any features which don't work on Linux or work bad enough to not be able to work.
    For my mobile needs I use Unity daily on Linux, 3-7 hours a day, and I am happy with it. There are some moments(heavy profiling on mobile device) when I sometimes switch to Windows, though.
    Of course I work with iPhones a lot so some time needs to be spent on Mac, but that is specific to my needs.

7. c0ppo

c0ppo

@mageaster & @senkal_
    Well guys, thank you very much for your answers and help.
    My laptop arrives on 3rd of January. I will make sure that Manjaro install USB is ready by then :)