Search Unity

Unity and creativity - Survey for my master thesis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lutterlaj, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Lutterlaj

Lutterlaj

Hi Unity Community!

I am a student from Aarhus University in Denmark. I am currently writing my master thesis in information studies, where I am investigating how Unity supports creativity.

I have already done some interviews, but I am looking to broaden my perspective by using a method called Creativity Support Index which contains 12 statements that can be rated according to agreement. The results will be used to analyze Unity’s ability to support creativity and to compare to other digital tools.

I have created this survey which contains a few questions about your experience with Unity and the statements from the Creativity Support Index:
    https://survey.au.dk/LinkCollector?key=LMQASPR6U23J

The survey can be completed by anyone who uses or has used Unity. It’s short, and shouldn’t take more than 5-10 minutes to complete.
    I hope you will help me out and answer this simple survey - I would really appreciate it :)

Edit: I will publish the results in this thread when the survey is done in a couple of weeks.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  2. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

What does the answer "GUI" mean for the question "What do you use Unity for"?

Furthermore, what do the answers "2d development" and "3d" mean?

That would be better served by being broken into a couple different questions, with one asking for development platforms and another asking about the software itself being developed.

Joe-Censored and Lutterlaj like this.
  3. Lutterlaj

Lutterlaj

GUI stands for "Graphical User Interface", but I see how it's confusing and I should have typed it out.
    By 3D and 2D development I meant what platform you use, like you said. Good suggestion to break it into different questions.
    Thank you for the comment - I really appreciate the feedback!

4. MDADigital

MDADigital

Desktop client or Desktop app is probably a better term

Lutterlaj likes this.
  5. Lutterlaj

Lutterlaj

Nice suggestion - That should make it more clear. Appreciate the feedback!

6. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

I know what "GUI" means, I meant more, what does it mean as an answer? What does it mean to use Unity for "Graphical User Interface?" A GUI is a means to an end. Were you asking if I used Unity's GUI tools in anything I worked on (is it possible not to do that?)?

7. ippdev

ippdev

One can make use of a GUI or make a 3d or 2D app and not have a lick of creativity. Define creativity.

8. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

I assume GUI means to primarily use Unity as a way of creating a GUI. Maybe you were thinking about a web App, but stylesheets and javascript are a pain and you decided Unity gives you nicer options and layout control. Maybe it's an inventory App, or order forms or something.

9. Lutterlaj

Lutterlaj

I misunderstood your question, so thank you for explaining. I meant using Unity to produce some sort of GUI, not using Unity's interface itself. I split the question into 2 and made the phrasing different, so hopefully that clears that up!

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  10. Lutterlaj

Lutterlaj

I'm not an expert on creativity and there are many definitions, so I can't define it for you, but it can be explained as the ability to create something new and bring it into the world. One understanding of the creativity, is that it's a mix between applying knowledge from a certain domain, problem solving and motivation. Based on this I would think, that you would have to have some sort of creative ability in order to use a GUI to make something like a 3D or 2D app.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  11. Lutterlaj

Lutterlaj

Yes, that's exactly what I meant! I didn't have anything specific in mind - I just wanted to include the option to choose it, because I saw some examples of GUI's, like desktop apps and simple OS's, being made with Unity. Thanks for the reply.

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  12. ippdev

ippdev

Or you could follow a step by step process dictated by another... which is not considered creative by true creatives. It is simply copying or doing a rote and verse exercise more suited to training a bureaucratic.. Is a 4000th version of an endless runner creative because it has a rabbit evading wolf statues? Perhaps. Which part would be creative if they bought an endless runner kit and swapped out meshes? If yer writing a thesis that will define your career path you should not be doing cosmetics surveys. That is for bureaucrats and propagandists to manipulate. Definitions should be properly detailed so the readers of your thesis are on the same page, as well as respondents who form the data of the thesis. In regards to creativity it is a grand gesture to pretend that the crayon scribble mother posted to the fridge door is "creativity", but it seems in regards to your definition I can turn over a rock and that is creative. I consider it a form or work.