Search Unity

Bug Unity and builth games hard crash my PC

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by cruising, Apr 24, 2023.

1. cruising

cruising

Hello!

For like 2 years now Unity have made my PC totaly crash (freeze) and i have to kill it via the power button.
    When it happens i hear the pc speakers make a short "static?" sound and the screen just freeze.
    There is no black screen or blue screen or self restart, just a freezed image what was on the screen when the crash happened.

It only happens when im doing stuffs in the scene, playing in the editor (2020.3.18f1) or when playing the builth game.
    I can watch movies and play other games like DC Online for hours and never ever crash a single time.

It was the same on my former system i had, i only have the graphics card and the Samsung SSD from that system in my current system.
    I did not have the OS (win10) on that Samsung SSD untill now because that smaller SSD i had after years broke down. I have also been using M2 SSD and had the same problem.

I have 2 screens and had my fan software and the activity manager on that screen to see any overheating and system usage when the crash happens, and i cant see any problem.

Im not sure if unity or win10 logging any error when the pc instantly crash randomly like this? I have checked the windows system log at the point of time it crashed yesterday and i cant see any unity related logs.
    All i can see at the point of time is a red error ( ! ) for "Service Control Manager" and "Appliacation Popup"

I have also cleaned out the unity "Editor" log because it was like 200-300mb large and im gonna check it again when the next crash happens to see if there is any useful logs in there.

What could cause this freezing crashes when using Unity3d? it also crash in other projects.

Best regards

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

Things to check outside of unity:
    - GPU/CPU temps (maybe overheating)
    - SSD temps and SMART status (maybe small corruption)
    - Run dskchck
    - Update GPU drivers with a clean install (maybe use DDU to remove all other drivers on the PC if you switched GPU manufacturer)
    - Use the shortcut to restart GPU drivers to see if that brings back output

Things inside of Unity:
    - Update to the latest 2020 version
    - Definitely check logs, without it will be very hard to narrow down the issue