Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Analytics Heatmaps: Official Thread

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by marc_tanenbaum, Sep 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

The stuff I pointed to is not Heatmaps. It's the underlying (and out-of-date) Analytics package. Look at the folders I suggested deleting. If you get rid of those and leave the actual heatmaps stuff I'm pretty sure you'll be OK.

2. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@marc_tanenbaum My company was looking into implementing Heatmaps into our game, but noticed there hasn't been much discussion about them lately. We were wondering if they were being deprecated in favor of some other service, or are they still useable in Unity 2019? We didn't want to waste our dev time using a dead plugin/service if it was going to change soon. Thank you.

3. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

We haven't updated the plugin in some time, and likely would not be expected to load properly in 2019. It is not a supported product.

4. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Thanks for the info. Do you know if there's plans to reintroduce anything similar, or is it too difficult to optimize for real-time performance?

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

No current plans that I am aware of.

6. ilyas_unity

ilyas_unity

Unity Technologies

@Ben-BearFish what is the specific use case that you were looking to support with heatmaps?

7. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@ilyas_unity Nothing specific really, we were just investigating more detailed ways to interpret player's behavior besides raw analytic logging.

8. local306

local306

Sad to see this is no longer supported. Although look through the package, I'm not sure whether it would be the right fit.

@JeffDUnity3D @ilyas_unity are there any other alternatives to this? Trying to find a simple way to track player deaths at locations that can also be used at run-time.

9. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You could send your own Custom Events but would need to keep the number of events within limits https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsCustomEventScripting.html . Trying to send an event during Update() would not be a good idea for example

10. local306

local306

I'd likely cache all updates and send one call at the end of the play session to minimize event ops.

@JeffDUnity3D can this data be retrieved by the player's application at runtime using Unity analytics? I'm looking to do something like Mario Maker or Dark Souls where you can see the locations of where other players have died globally.

11. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

No, but this is something you could code yourself with Raw Data Export and a web service API https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsRawDataExport.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.